Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

When Did This Happen ?

3BX2

You have to wonder about the PDM choices made by some pilots when you elect to fly in such conditions. If you happen to note a 78 knot windspeed, perhaps you should have spilled your coffee on you in the hangar rather than in the machine. Sounds like "fly safe" is just a convenient tag line.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Angry Egg Driver
You have to wonder about the PDM choices made by some pilots when you elect to fly in such conditions. If you happen to note a 78 knot windspeed, perhaps you should have spilled your coffee on you in the hangar rather than in the machine. Sounds like "fly safe" is just a convenient tag line.

Whatever.I suppose you dont fly when its raining either...

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Ive had a 70 kt tail wind and it was smooth as glass.I was ferrying the machine from a job to our hangar.Was i supposed to land because it was too windy?

Not trying to get into a pissing match with you Mr. Egg, but the point of PDM is perhaps you shouldn't have taken off in the first place. 70 knots represents 50% of your machines speed capability if your flying a blackhawk.....anyways....my mom says I have to go to bed now. Goodnite

Guest SidewallPuncture
Ive had a 70 kt tail wind and it was smooth as glass.I was ferrying the machine from a job to our hangar.Was i supposed to land because it was too windy?

2007 does have a valid point....imagine any emergency....how would you react? how would any training under "normal" conditions have prepared you for that?

Try autoing to a small clearing...try having to change direction to find your spot and that tail wind is now a head wind...try a T/R failure or stuck pedals....the list is endless.

I think PDM is a huge part to be considered.

Wow this thread went sideways fast.Sometimes you can depart in good conditions and fly into windy conditions.I was flying in 45 knots yesterday thats part of working in the lee of the mountains.2007 you are quick to judge the wind is part of the job if you don't like it stay in the hanger just let me know where you are so I can mow your grass. :shock: :shock:

Not trying to get into a pissing match with you Mr. Egg, but the point of PDM is perhaps you shouldn't have taken off in the first place. 70 knots represents 50% of your machines speed capability if your flying a blackhawk.....anyways....my mom says I have to go to bed now. Goodnite

So what do you do if you take off with no wind and then find yourself with a 78 kt tailwind. Land ASAP or what?

I'm sure that when you ask anyone who has experienced these conditions they will tell you they did not take off in them. Unless of course you are one of those people that can tell the weather conditions 100 miles away as you sit in the hangar drinking coffee. Not everything about weather can be learned from a forecast.

Ooops - looks like FREDDIE beat me to the punch. What kind of mower do you have anyways?

It's all fair and good to say that you shouldn't even lift off in windy conditions, but the conditions on the ground don't always represent the upper winds. It would be ideal to be able to have the forecast upper winds for a specific local area, but as we all know that's not usually the case. All I know is that the winds can change in a heart beat in the hills.

Our judgement is usually a result of our experiences. There are a lot of guys who won't go out in strong winds because they never have. There are also guys who won't because they've experienced a high degree of pucker factor in the past. I flew in a very windy area early in my career and was taught to RESPECT the wind, both by my employer through training and through what mom nature teaches you while you're out there. If I chose to be afraid of it and stay on the ground I would have likely not worked very often or for very long in that area either. Over time I've learned to work in and use the wind to my benefit but also respect the limits of the machine, indications from mother nature and my own personal limitations.

Sidewallpuncture, with all due respect and I'm not trying to be condescending here at all. I'm unsure of your experience level, but you should take the opportunity to do some emergency training in strong winds. It can be an eye opener as to what's possible. It's also amazing how much more manageable the emergencies you mention get. It's amazing how much the weather vain effect can help out a tail rotor failure.