Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Who Are The "good Guys?"

Hey all,

First of all I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to my recent posts. It's so great to have a resource like Vertical that a 100hr girl like myself can can utilize and get in contact with so many people in this industry. I've received such good advice and suggestions from you all and I'm sure it will all benefit me soon.

As I get set to find employment for the 2009 season my question is this. When I do sit down for an interview or do get that first check ride. How do I determine if a company is a "good company"? I know I'm not in a position to be too picky but I am curious what you look for. Obviously my experience in this industry is limited to a few companies. So I'd love to hear how you all assess this.

Cheers

Hovergirl

Old guys are used to lots of stuff, but the new guys need to know some stuff. A lot of it is actually not particular to aviation, but sure have our share of it.

Things to consider:

No one rturns your email. That tells you a lot about the company right there. Ya, I know, they say they get so many that it's easier to not acknowledge them. Wrong. It's a computer, you can send out an automatic response in a nano second. Busy/Too many doesn't cut it. If your that busy, hire some staff.

Lots of people in the world get promoted to their level of incompetency. The military actually discovered this syndrome, but it is prevelent everywhere. Is the person your talking to a boob? Has he the power to actually make decisions? A pilot needs to be good, but is he good at administration

and have the required people skills to be a manager? Not always so. Those that can't, camouflage it by being dorks and pretending they are in control. Very bad sign. Your gut will tell you everything you need to know. And your gut is usually right.

There's more, but lets see what the others have to say, perhaps from personal experiences. It's all good to know.

AH1, nice point about the Peter Principal. Isn't it amazing how if we were to purchase a new machine we would spend money and time teaching guys how to fly it, maintenance on how to fix it, sending guys on courses etc. but to become a manager most companies put a pen in your hand give you a desk and "volia" your a manager.

You can tell straight away just by how they talk to you as a 100 hour pilot.

Bad:

They talk down to you,

They do all the talking and don't give a crap what you have to offer.

They crack a joke about you being a female pilot,

The hargar is a disaster area, and reminds you of your bedroom as a teenager.

No one in the building seems able to smile.

They promise flight hours in return for free labour from you.

Good:

They talk with you and not at you,

When you talk, they actually listen.

The place is spotless, the hangar floor could be eaten off of and the machines look like they're off the showroom floor.

People there seem happy to be at work.

HG

I am sure if you have been doing your research and you have a pretty good idea of which companies seem to stand out above others.

The funny thing is that those "stand outs" will even have their critics. So My advice to you is do your homework ... Figure out what direction you want to go in the industry and then talk to the companies that you feel may offer what you are looking for.

When you do meet them, listen to your gut. You should be able to tell the "Good Guys" the minute you walk thru their door. There are some great people working in the industry that will spend some time talking to you (even if you they do not have a position for you). There are also some not so great. The best advice I would give is to get out there and visit as many companies as you can and I am sure you will be able to answer your own question.

Best of luck!

P

How do I determine if a company is a "good company"? I know I'm not in a position to be too picky but I am curious what you look for. Obviously my experience in this industry is limited to a few companies. So I'd love to hear how you all assess this.

In my experience, there is generally little difference between companies. 95% of companies out there are basically the same. They ALL have crap, BS, politics, etc. Your job is to find a company who's crap, BS, politics you're willing to put up with. You are trying to find the company that is best for YOU. It's very subjective, because so much of it depends on people and personalities. For instance, you may work for a decent company, but you hate your job because you don't get along with the boss. Is it worth hating your job to work for a decent company? The answer will be different for different people, hence my advice to find the right company for YOU.

That being said, I think that bad news travels faster than good news, and word gets around pretty quick about the handfull of really crappy companies out there. Spend enough time in the forums, and a few names will pop up every now and again. Watch out for those.

For an entry level job as a junior pilot or apprentice, for now just worry about getting your foot in the door, build some experience, and over time you will become educated about the industry and what you want to do with your new career. At that point you can start thinking about what kind of company you want to 'settle into', if settling into a single company is even what you want to do.