Who Are The "good Guys?"

Hover Girl!

It totally depends on your personality and age. But I would reccomend getting on with one of the bigger outfits if you can, there will be a better support mechanism during the first phase of your career. The smaller mom and pops can be tricky, and with less anonymity you are constatantly being critiqued and they tend to be a little more fickle. The larger mom and pops +3 machines and an actual management structure, it will be easier. Like Yellowhead, or Black Tusk.

For the most part be prepared to do alot of listening, and little talking except for well though out questions... which is how to gather important info.

Some of the good ones would include:Example.

Great Slave

Yellowhead

Cougar

I wish you the best, and hope you land that seat. :up:

hf

Hovergirl,

We class ourselves as a "good company" but only operate 2 aircraft. We cannot hire a low timer, not because we don't want to, but our insurance company requires high time pilots to work for us.

I will always pass on any advise that I think may help with 100 hour pilots, remembering that I was once one of them.

Keep at it and as a keener and it will pay off in the end. I think if you can get through this summer, you should be fine.

B.M.

My experience is that once you are talkign with a company go with your *gut* feeling. I have had positive and negative experiences that went how my gut feeling had pegged them long before my brain figured out what was going on.

There was a good book "Blink" written about how there is wisdom in our intuition.

Good Luck

Hover Girl!

It totally depends on your personality and age. But I would reccomend getting on with one of the bigger outfits if you can, there will be a better support mechanism during the first phase of your career. The smaller mom and pops can be tricky, and with less anonymity you are constatantly being critiqued and they tend to be a little more fickle. The larger mom and pops +3 machines and an actual management structure, it will be easier. Like Yellowhead, or Black Tusk.

For the most part be prepared to do alot of listening, and little talking except for well though out questions... which is how to gather important info.

Some of the good ones would include:Example.

Great Slave

Yellowhead

Cougar

I wish you the best, and hope you land that seat. :up:

hf

We are a small ma and pop operation and have hired several 100 hour pilots to fly. We have to be critical and fickle for we have alot to lose if there was an incident or accident such as our insurance clause to hire low time pilots (not to mention our livelihood!). Alot of new pilots that come to us already know that we take low timers for they did their homework BEFORE they got their license. Good luck Hovergirl.

We are a small ma and pop operation and have hired several 100 hour pilots to fly. We have to be critical and fickle for we have alot to lose if there was an incident or accident such as our insurance clause to hire low time pilots (not to mention our livelihood!). Alot of new pilots that come to us already know that we take low timers for they did their homework BEFORE they got their license. Good luck Hovergirl.

Well there you have it!

One of the biggest challenges is the learning curve. If you don't have a management structure that backs up the pilot, and are dealing with a small mom and pop who treat real or supposed "client compliants" like the end of the universe, it could be the end of your career fast. The smaller operators will trash the pilot real fast in light of loosing a customer. When the reality is that a 100hrs pilot is going to make mistakes that why its better to be with a larger company that will support the learning curve and defend its pilots.Mind you not all larger companies are good at this.

It really depends on the management, I would look at companies who have trained ops managers, it can make a big difference. As a low time pilot there will be places and tasks that you need to be gradually worked into.

Good luck!

Well there you have it!

One of the biggest challenges is the learning curve. If you don't have a management structure that backs up the pilot, and are dealing with a small mom and pop who treat real or supposed "client compliants" like the end of the universe, it could be the end of your career fast. The smaller operators will trash the pilot real fast in light of loosing a customer. When the reality is that a 100hrs pilot is going to make mistakes that why its better to be with a larger company that will support the learning curve and defend its pilots.Mind you not all larger companies are good at this.

It really depends on the management, I would look at companies who have trained ops managers, it can make a big difference. As a low time pilot there will be places and tasks that you need to be gradually worked into.

Good luck!

Actually, we have been very happy with all of the 100 hour pilots we have hired in the past...no incidents or accidents! If and when a mistake is made they get all of the support and training required. As for complaints from the customers...we haven't had any yet.

Actually, we have been very happy with all of the 100 hour pilots we have hired in the past...no incidents or accidents! If and when a mistake is made they get all of the support and training required. As for complaints from the customers...we haven't had any yet.

Well TOT

That is very good news, and very good to hear! It is good to see a compnay that does't put an emphasis on "our livelyhood" in front of the learning curve of the junior pilots. Hepac I believe has a mentorship program, you guys sound like a company with an open mind that could take such a program on.

May be worth having a look at or at least exploring.

Cheers and may you be blessed with many hours in 2009! :up:

Well TOT

That is very good news, and very good to hear! It is good to see a compnay that does't put an emphasis on "our livelyhood" in front of the learning curve of the junior pilots. Hepac I believe has a mentorship program, you guys sound like a company with an open mind that could take such a program on.

May be worth having a look at or at least exploring.

Cheers and may you be blessed with many hours in 2009! :up:

Thanks Happy Feet!