Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Finally One The Average "joe" Can Afford

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one really has me thinking about signing on dotted line...

Hopefully friends won't accuse me of having too many expensive hobbies.

http://www.composite-fx.com/mosquitoxeturbine.html

NICE!! Looks cool, sounds cool! And for under 50K. The guy who designed it should go work for Robinson and givem some pointers on design.

I wonder if it can be hooked up with the RR3000 turbine. And when is the 4 bladed model comming out?

NICE!! ME LIKES!!

Time for a Life lesson from the "Old Guy"

There is 'NO SUCH THING AS A BARGAIN' in this world.

You only get what you pay for, no more. no less.

If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Trust nobody.......'EVER'.

If anyone thinks you can buy a safe, quality built, turbine powered helicopter for 50K please PM me!!

You see.... I have this bridge for sale......and for you.....today only.....

Have any of you naysayers ever done the research to find out what the percentage of homebuilt heli accidents were caused by pilot error/poor maintenance as opposed to fatigue/design failures?

Aren't aviation costs insanely expensive because of safety standards imposed by regulating bodies and potential liability costs factored in the price of the helicopters and parts? Maybe the only reason these things are so cheap is because they're not designed to the same standards as their commercial counterparts.

Is there any evidence that this helicopter is unsafe? Is there an actual accident record for these machines?

I'm not saying you're wrong to doubt the value and safety of this thing, for all I know, it's a friggin death trap. I'm just suggesting that maybe it's perfectly suitable for private recreational use.

It just seems to me that every time we hear of a homebuilt plane/heli crash, it's because of poor pilot training or improper assembly of the aircraft, not necessarily mechanical failure caused by design flaw.

You certainly have a point there Helidude. Due to it's weight, a PPL is not required...you can fly this this unlicensed! On the same website it states "Given a large enough field, a careful and deliberate pace, almost anyone could learn to hover a helicopter by themselves. " :cop:

They do however recomend that you take lessons to the point of first solo.

Mark

Have any of you naysayers ever done the research to find out what the percentage of homebuilt heli accidents were caused by pilot error/poor maintenance as opposed to fatigue/design failures?

Aren't aviation costs insanely expensive because of safety standards imposed by regulating bodies and potential liability costs factored in the price of the helicopters and parts? Maybe the only reason these things are so cheap is because they're not designed to the same standards as their commercial counterparts.

Is there any evidence that this helicopter is unsafe? Is there an actual accident record for these machines?

I'm not saying you're wrong to doubt the value and safety of this thing, for all I know, it's a friggin death trap. I'm just suggesting that maybe it's perfectly suitable for private recreational use.

It just seems to me that every time we hear of a homebuilt plane/heli crash, it's because of poor pilot training or improper assembly of the aircraft, not necessarily mechanical failure caused by design flaw.

Good post. People around here tend to fly off the handle when the topic of home-builts comes up. We forget that there is a very large and thriving home-built community that manages to operate safely. The machines themselves can be quite reliable if maintained knowledgeably and responsibly. Mechanical reliability by design is rarely the issue. Inexperienced guys flying improperly or flying in improperly maintained equipment is the issue here. Don't throw away the baby with the bathwater.

I don't know if I'd fly it (I'm not a pilot anyway) but anyone who doesn't look at that thing and think how cool it is has somehow lost part of their soul in this industry. The early pioneers of aviation flew some pretty sketchy equipment and this is all well known technology and engineering - hardly cutting edge here. You aren't flying an experimental supersonic jet or spacecraft. If the thing is reliable mechanically and can fly, it can be done safely - all up to the guy behind the stick. ;)

Good post. People around here tend to fly off the handle when the topic of home-builts comes up. We forget that there is a very large and thriving home-built community that manages to operate safely. The machines themselves can be quite reliable if maintained knowledgeably and responsibly. Mechanical reliability by design is rarely the issue. Inexperienced guys flying improperly or flying in improperly maintained equipment is the issue here. Don't throw away the baby with the bathwater.

I don't know if I'd fly it (I'm not a pilot anyway) but anyone who doesn't look at that thing and think how cool it is has somehow lost part of their soul in this industry. The early pioneers of aviation flew some pretty sketchy equipment and this is all well known technology and engineering - hardly cutting edge here. You aren't flying an experimental supersonic jet or spacecraft. If the thing is reliable mechanically and can fly, it can be done safely - all up to the guy behind the stick. ;)

Being from the R/Oside of things I know many shops in the Piston World that have dedicated a lot of effort towards Home Builts. The liability costs have stunted the recreational aviation market . The major Rotary Piston manufacturer has bucked this trend and continues to manufacture several hundred machines every year. Many of these aircraft are used by resource companies and are usually maintained by the Dealer who sold it or a local FBO. It will be a truly bad economic sign if Single Engine Piston hours drop off the face of the earth.