New Video Of The R66

Mark_

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now fly the R-44 and still find it ugly, but that thing... holy.

By the way, at the Robinson course in October, one of the instructors there told us about a Heli Expo he went to with frank, when the Enstrom 480 was released, their add was: Why fly and ugly helicopter, when you can fly an enstrom" when Frank asked "Whose is this ugly helicopter they're talking about??"

We had some chuckles at that.

Also saw them do run ups with it. Sounds just like the R-22 in that james bond movie...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say it's really no more ugly than a 44. At the projected price tag the 44's and old jetboxes in the patch are probably safe for some time to come.

Wonder who'll bring the first 66 to CA for commercial ops?

Dick

Wow, a few more feet and the mast will be the same length as the tail boom. The blades don't look that much larger than the 44's, wonder how the rotor inertia is. Is it just me, or does there not appear to be much cooling airflow intake/exit for having a turbine in there?

AV8

• 4 weeks later...

The form factor of the video is not natural, everything is higher than wider, including the test pilot.

Is it the new airframe, or still the modified R44 benchtest?

The mast is said to be 8 inches higher that the R44, which may create a real market problem: a lot of hangar doors are just not tall enough to accommodate the R66, even those which accommodate Bells and Astars. So unless the production model has lower skids...

Ugly, hum, we saw worse, much worse... How many ugly helicopters did this industry produce?