New Video Of The R66

Mark_

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are indeed interesting stats and they show that Robinson helicopters had far more accidents in the UK than others. Does that mean they are less safe, or is it because there are far more of them and that they are being flown by less experienced pilots?

IDENTIFICATION

Regis#: 74815 Make/Model: R22 Description: R-22

Date: 03/30/2009 Time: 2122

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N

Damage: Substantial

City: CHANDLER State: AZ Country: US

DESCRIPTION

N74815, A ROBINSON R22 ROTORCRAFT, DURING HOVER PRACTICE, FLIPPED ONTO ITS

SIDE, CHANDLER, AZ

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0

# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 1

# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: S 2125 260/06G14 20 SKC 22/-11 A2987

OTHER DATA

Activity: Training Phase: Hover Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ (WP07) Entry date: 03/31/2009

Interesting... to show how unprocessed data can be pointless. So I played a little with figures in a totally irrational way, just for fun.

Of the total, 10.5% of accidents are fatal (38/361)

Bell: 22.5% (7/31)

Eurocopter : 12.7% (9/71)

Robinson: 9.5% (13/137)

So when an accident occurs, Robinsons are more likely to save lifes? Of course not. Westlands are, but I arbitrarily choosed to only consider the three biggest makers. I know, these computations are stupid, but that was the best I could do with just these data... keeping in mind that number of fatal accidents is NOT number of fatalities.

Would be more interesting with the numbers of aircrafts in service in UK... better, the number of commercial and private aircrafts (numerous private helicopters in UK, i.e. numerous R44s). The number of commercial aircrafts doing high risk jobs: training? slinging? And, of course, the number of hours flown (very low for private aircrafts).

Training accidents were mentionned. Too bad that the R22 is by far the most popular trainer. Not the best, I know. The Bell 206 is the best trainer.

Mind to play stupidly with airliner stats? I bet that the highest fatalities involve Boeing and Airbus. No passenger died in a Constellation last year: this is for sure the safest airliner.

And the Concorde safety record is still better than that of the Space Shuttle :P

Interesting... to show how unprocessed data can be pointless. So I played a little with figures in a totally irrational way, just for fun.

Of the total, 10.5% of accidents are fatal (38/361)

Bell: 22.5% (7/31)

Eurocopter : 12.7% (9/71)

Robinson: 9.5% (13/137)

So when an accident occurs, Robinsons are more likely to save lifes? Of course not. Westlands are, but I arbitrarily choosed to only consider the three biggest makers. I know, these computations are stupid, but that was the best I could do with just these data... keeping in mind that number of fatal accidents is NOT number of fatalities.

Would be more interesting with the numbers of aircrafts in service in UK... better, the number of commercial and private aircrafts (numerous private helicopters in UK, i.e. numerous R44s). The number of commercial aircrafts doing high risk jobs: training? slinging? And, of course, the number of hours flown (very low for private aircrafts).

Training accidents were mentionned. Too bad that the R22 is by far the most popular trainer. Not the best, I know. The Bell 206 is the best trainer.

Mind to play stupidly with airliner stats? I bet that the highest fatalities involve Boeing and Airbus. No passenger died in a Constellation last year: this is for sure the safest airliner.

And the Concorde safety record is still better than that of the Space Shuttle :P

Good Post. Thank-You PL

as PL pointed out, straight stats can be useless. However, here is a searchable database of helicopter incidents in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/helico...base/index.html

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/accidents.asp

here is one of the better ones I have found for most world accidents.

if you had the time G-info.uk gived the last reported hrs for helicopters on the register , you could use that to make some pretty good assumptions about annual hrs .

http://www.rotor.com/portals/12/Statistics...201997-2006.xls

HAI also have come good reports though not by model