Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Guest 1cloud

I've seen huge ego's in civy and military, not much difference. alot of military guys don't know how good they have it though in regards to pay and benifits. alot of the younger ones think the grass is greener on the other side. though the reg force pilots of late have spent a very long time in the training system, due to it's shortcomings. I wouldn't have joined the reg force simply because of the wait for wings.

if you look at say a 5 year captain [rank] pilot at 408 sqn on the reg force side.

roughly

salary $8008 a month

post living diff $678 month

Aircrew allowance +298 month [thats the lowest, it would be higher]

Field allowance +298 month

Don't forget though, with that comes unlimited liability and being sent to places where people want nothing more than to kill you. and yes you might not fly much, you could be sent overseas to watch someone else fly a UAV.

I think i'll keep my hand in it for the long haul, even if it's class A [casual] I went full time to ensure that I was available for all the training required. glad to be here now seeing the economy tanking.

Hopefully this thread won't degenerate into a military vs civie thread - there's enough of those.

If you decide to go full time reservist (or reg force), for me anyways, it basically is a trade-off with what you value at the time. In the military you get good pay, good job security and get to do some pretty cool stuff.

But... you forefit the ability to choose where you live, you will be away from home - alot (6-8 months a year is not uncommon) and you no longer have the option of saying no if you don't like the mission/job.

If you're an hours hog then you will definately get more time on the civie side. But personally, how much I fly is not as important as what I'm doing during those hours.

I've done all three at this point, full-time military, reserve and civie. Send me a PM if you want any other info.

Huddy,

Just curious if you know if the program is open to current, serving NCM's in the Primary Reserve. I just joined the Artillery Reserve in Red Deer and am supposed to start training right away with Basic this summer ect. ect.

Or is it only open to ex-reg force pilots? Always wanted to be a pilot in the reg force but four years of university has been the only hold up at this point....

Anyways, thanks for the info......

Shooter.

Definetly not trying to slam anyone,,met all kinds in my short flying career.I know things are different on the military side,I just want to make sure I have the aptitude,and atittude before I make any drastic life changes.

I served three years in 1RCR many years ago,and I enjoyed somethings,and disliked other things.

You mentioned being away 6-8 months,,is this a normal for the long term,or is the Aphgan mission requiring more than the usual from the units?

Also I'm not thinking of the reserves because of the current downturn in the industry.My job is secure,and well paying,and any interest is purely a personl goal\career goal.

Thanks for all the info Shooter,and Huddy

I'm sure I'll dream up more questions.

49merc

The program is open to ex-reg force heli pilots because they're the easiest to get back into circulation. civy commercial heli pilots with a minimum of 500 hr heli and an IFR rating can send in resumes, but there is no bell 206 contract in place at this time, so there is no way to train the new guys. it's being worked on though.

Rob I would continue with the training your doing, but keep in touch with the 408 res recruiter until they get the 206 contract back online [provided you meet the mins]

cheers

Shooter.

Definetly not trying to slam anyone,,met all kinds in my short flying career.I know things are different on the military side,I just want to make sure I have the aptitude,and atittude before I make any drastic life changes.

I served three years in 1RCR many years ago,and I enjoyed somethings,and disliked other things.

You mentioned being away 6-8 months,,is this a normal for the long term,or is the Aphgan mission requiring more than the usual from the units?

Also I'm not thinking of the reserves because of the current downturn in the industry.My job is secure,and well paying,and any interest is purely a personl goal\career goal.

Thanks for all the info Shooter,and Huddy

I'm sure I'll dream up more questions.

49merc

The Afghan mission is definately stretching things thin, but if you are posted to an operational squadron (like 408) you are kept busy doing your own training as well as training the army for their missions. That means supporting exercises in Wainwright, Suffield, Shilo etc etc. If you go full time then I would expect at least 4-5 months away spread over the year. There are two full time reserve squadrons 400 and 438 that are mostly reservist and non-operational. They still do alot of support but they don't deploy as squadrons.

The Afghan mission is definately stretching things thin, but if you are posted to an operational squadron (like 408) you are kept busy doing your own training as well as training the army for their missions. That means supporting exercises in Wainwright, Suffield, Shilo etc etc. If you go full time then I would expect at least 4-5 months away spread over the year. There are two full time reserve squadrons 400 and 438 that are mostly reservist and non-operational. They still do alot of support but they don't deploy as squadrons.

Shooter, 400 THS and 438e ETAH are not "non-operational".

If you meant to say that they are not primary manoeuvre units in support of deployed operations, you would be correct. They do, however, support domestic operations directly as well as contribute to deployed operations through force generation and pers augmentation.

Cheers

AV8