Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helmets Restricted?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safety in our industry is the number one factor in our operations as we and our customers all know right down to marketing our business. One of the major factors that interfere with that safety is our customers. Why do we continue to let our customers run our business? This could go off on so many tangents but I'd like to focus on just one thing that's been on my mind recently and doesn't necessarily effect me but others. Question for operators out there who don't allow their pilots to wear helmets….Why? It's one thing not to provide but to actually disallow them to have safety equipment that could save their life or even lives of other people onboard is absurd. You're sacrificing safety for appearance. If customers make comments like "why can't I wear a helmet, your pilot is". Simple answer to the customer is they're not likely to have a bird fly through their window, or smack their head on the instrument panel in the unlikely event of a crash. Customers are more than welcome to bring a helmet to wear. I've had customers that do bring there own helmets.

This just burns me that this is actually being restricted by operators. It's ridiculous!!

Vast:

Do you care to name the operators that will not allow Pilots to wear helmets. Perhaps it's time to drag them kicking and blinking into the harsh light of reality and accountability.

To me it is an unforgivable policy to expose your Pilots to danger by not allowing them to use protective equipment. What's next, no Nomex flight suits because the passengers shouldn't be allowed to fry alone??. I wonder what W.C.B. has to say about this policy??

Vast:

Do you care to name the operators that will not allow Pilots to wear helmets. Perhaps it's time to drag them kicking and blinking into the harsh light of reality and accountability.

To me it is an unforgivable policy to expose your Pilots to danger by not allowing them to use protective equipment. What's next, no Nomex flight suits because the passengers shouldn't be allowed to fry alone??. I wonder what W.C.B. has to say about this policy??

Funny you should bring up no Nomex flight suits...I'm pretty sure the IFR guys at Helijet and CHC aren't allowed to wear flight suits either. I could be wrong and my goal is not to single any one operator out but I've just heard and seen alot about these things and I don't know why it continues.

You're absolutely right about W.C.B. I've often thought the same thing.

Too bad they didn't let you keep the helmet as a momento AH1.

I actually gave it to them because they were so impressed with what it did. My message to them was to show it to any stupid ******* who said helmets were not neccessary. I hope it's sitting in plain view for all to see. I remember the days when no one wore them, it was considered not cool by a lot of pilots back then. When passengers ask why I wear one, I tell them that wearing a David Clark on your head feels like vice grips after about four hours. I've flown with customers who's own personal/company helmet was worth far more than my own Gentex. Slightly of course here, but I now wear my own Personal Floatation Device as well when working over water.

im pretty new to this, but cant you just explain it this way : i like to wear a helmet because it has 2 visors that make flying into the sun a lot easier, and sunglasses and a headset dont cut it. not to mention, in case of a forced approach the pilot doesnt have the option of putting his head between his legs in the standard "crash" position. haha, you could give the pax the option, say "you can have my helmet, but if we start to go down im getting into the fetal position!" i havent purchased a helmet yet, but as soon as i land a job that will have me flying, thats the first thing on my wish list!

Helijet's position regarding pilots and helmets is as follows:

Helmets on the scheduled air service - Not allowed

Helmets on the air ambulance - Allowed and encouraged, flightsuits provided and are mandatory.

Helmets on VFR charters - Allowed and encouraged.

Of course they can't legally stop a pilot from wearing a piece of safety equipment, but it's become an accepted way of things here.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I have worn a helmet since early on in my training.In my short lived Corporate career i never wore one but the flying is pretty safe for the most part and who wants to have helmet head when your trying to pick up the receptionist at the bosses meetings... :lol:

That being said...i think that the number is somewhere around 60 percent of helicopter fatalities are due to head injuries.So when i'm moving drills,logging or doing seismic and in the curve all day its pretty much common sense to being wearing something that has a pretty good chance of saving your life when you come tumbling down through the trees.Any company that says you cant wear a helmet in any other role than corporate is not worth working for in my opinion...Just my opinion though.

I would like to think so. The S76 may not look like it, but she's a flying tank.

yeah a flying tank, and with one engine you're a 10 000lb Long Ranger Sweeet. They are very safe machines though one of those helijet 76's hauled my sorry broken *** to Vancouver once upon a time