Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hac Convention - Committee Chair Election

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm writing this post with regards to the upcoming election for Chair of the Helicopter Association of Canada Air Taxi Committee.

This election will take place at the HAC Convention in Vancouver (at the Air Taxi Committee meeting on Sunday, March 29th from 1300 – 1600) and I'm actively campaigning for the position. I believe I'm a strong candidate for this position because I'm hard working and enthusiastic with excellent communicative and leadership skills. If you guys elect me, I'll promote an active committee and together we will all work towards our common goal of improving the Canadian helicopter industry as a whole.

Presently I am the GM of YYJ FBO Services Ltd. at the Victoria International Airport; I'm also currently the PR and Marketing Coordinator as well as Facilities Manager for the VIH Aviation Group. In the past I've spent time in Fort Nelson, BC as the Base Manager for VIH Helicopters and have been employed by Hawkair Aviation Ltd. as a Sales and Marketing Coordinator. I've also worked in various accounting firms and as an accounts assistant and an executive assistant for VIH Helicopters.

To supplement my work experience, I've enrolled in various courses which include the Canadian Helicopter Operator and AMO Management Course, International Business and Commercial Law courses at the University of Victoria as well as the Bachelor of Business Management program at Dalhousie University.

This combination of work and education experience has been very beneficial for my professional roles so far. I've gained communicative, management and leadership experience that has contributed to my growth on both a personal and professional level and I have earned the respect of more experienced peers in the workplace. Most importantly, I've learned that taking on a challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow.

If elected, I will act as a facilitator for the Air Taxi Committee and will guide and direct discussions. I really look forward to collaborating with a cross section of Canadian helicopter operators to face industry challenges together and progress towards a mutually successful future.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration of my campaign, hopefully I'll be seeing you at the HAC Convention!

Jen Norie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused as to why you are campaigning for a position on HAC when most of the members on this forum are Pilots, Engineers and wannabes who have nothing to do with HAC. I would think you should redirect your efforts towards the Suits and Quillpushers by addressing them directly rather than the people at the sharp end of the stick who do the dirty work that keeps a company operating and usually have zero input to the decisions of HAC members.

I'm confused as to why you are campaigning for a position on HAC when most of the members on this forum are Pilots, Engineers and wannabes who have nothing to do with HAC. I would think you should redirect your efforts towards the Suits and Quillpushers by addressing them directly rather than the people at the sharp end of the stick who do the dirty work that keeps a company operating and usually have zero input to the decisions of HAC members.

Splitpin,

I am a 17,000 hour pilot, broom pusher, grunt, fuel pumper, do lots of dirty work maintenance wise (usually Ian gives me the greasing and cleaning jobs), don't own a suit, can't hardly work a pen, keep our company going with 100 percent of the decision making, and have a vote at HAC.

I enjoy some of the forum discussions and even give my 2 bits worth sometimes. Good to hear that a young person like Jen is putting the effort to campaigning for the position. I think this is a good idea.

B.M.

I agree. If we are allowed to rant and rave about stupid pilots and poor decisions and so on, I certainly do not have any problem with a forward thinking person presenting their views on this forum.

If HAC is so far away from our everyday lives does this not bring it a little closer? Perhaps a chance to learn something?

Splitpin,

I am a 17,000 hour pilot, broom pusher, grunt, fuel pumper, do lots of dirty work maintenance wise (usually Ian gives me the greasing and cleaning jobs), don't own a suit, can't hardly work a pen, keep our company going with 100 percent of the decision making, and have a vote at HAC.

I enjoy some of the forum discussions and even give my 2 bits worth sometimes. Good to hear that a young person like Jen is putting the effort to campaigning for the position. I think this is a good idea.

B.M.

Splitpin,

B.M.

Please note B.M., I specifically said "most" of the members...for a reason. Of course there are members of HAC that frequent and give good input to this site like yourself. I would suspect that HAC members who visit and provide input are a VERY small minority, as I was simply trying to point out to Jan.

As for yourself, you obviously operate a very small successful company which I applaud you for. However, as you can surely understand I was referring to Suits and Quillpushers at larger company's. We've all seen them. Heaven forbid that they would set foot on a hanger floor where they might get dirty or worse still visit some dirty fly infested camp (or town) in Northern Buttf-ck and work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Jeez H you Guys, can't you read??? Go back to my first post and "READ IT" word for word. I'm not criticizing her. I'm merely pointing out to her that perhaps she should be campaigning where it counts. I think she is just spinning her wheels on this site.

And FREDDIE: speaking of soapboxes, I hope you are not thinking that perhaps she would be speaking for us. Remember always, she wants to represent management. (perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you said)

There is only one organization that I know of that will speak for the working stiff at the pointy end of the stick and that is H.E.P.A.C.

I would think you should redirect your efforts towards the Suits and Quillpushers by addressing them directly rather than the people at the sharp end of the stick who do the dirty work that keeps a company operating and usually have zero input to the decisions of HAC members.

Seems that by posting here she is asking the people at the sharp end of the stick for input. Lord knows she'll get it anyways without having to ask for it.

Thanks guys, for all of your opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and I appreciate the feedback. That being said, BM is correct in noting that everyone has a vote at the HAC - It's not just for owners but for operators, pilots, engineers alike. The purpose for the HAC is to better the Canadian heli industry as a whole - So everyone's opinion counts, at the HAC as well as in this forum.

Jen

Please note B.M., I specifically said "most" of the members...for a reason. Of course there are members of HAC that frequent and give good input to this site like yourself. I would suspect that HAC members who visit and provide input are a VERY small minority, as I was simply trying to point out to Jan.

As for yourself, you obviously operate a very small successful company which I applaud you for. However, as you can surely understand I was referring to Suits and Quillpushers at larger company's. We've all seen them. Heaven forbid that they would set foot on a hanger floor where they might get dirty or worse still visit some dirty fly infested camp (or town) in Northern Buttf-ck and work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Splitpin,

Your point is well taken, I have dealt with some of these type "important" people that probably wouldn't take the time of day to read and comment on these forum topics. I realize what you are saying.

Personally I have known Jen since she was a few years old, her dad taught me how to fly heli's in the 1970's. The smaller companies especially need representation when it comes to issues that come up- ie: Dangerous Goods, SMS, writing several manuals that we never read, and some other silly regulations that mostly apply to the "Big Boys" that we have to deal with as a 1 or 2 employee company. I believe she will represent us well. I haven't heard of anyone else going for this position as this forum is one of the only links I have to the real (heli) world.

I believe that HAC has pushed and made changes to the allowable flight and duty time restrictions that have helped with our short flying seasons as well as other changes that matter to us. We were involved in some of these discussions. The HAC representative is an important person in this case.

Its now past grounding, too cold for heliskiing today, time for a cool one-

B.M.

P.S. I'd rather be flying in a dirty fly infested camp than trying to fit into a suit in some office any day.