Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Tv Show - Heli-loggers

As far as I'm concerned, this place is better than any "reality" show.

I appreciated reading your thoughts here. I haven't owned a TV in over 15 years, but it would be interested to go back and watch this show somehow, after reading your comments.

I love how you can tell the difference in sound between machines.

The comments here remind me of comments the big wave surfers made about all the cheesy surf movies that came out in the late 50's early 60's. But I don't see any comments with regards to resentments re: exploitation. Which is what often seems to come up when film inaccurately dramatizes and misconstrues content like that.

Interesting read. Thanks.

HB

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just watched the show-maybe "logging with the occasional helicopter shot" might be a better title?

I grew up across the way from Duncan in Lund, north of Powell River. Just about everybody living there was either a logger or a fisherman or in many cases both. Although this was a few years ago, not much appears to have changed. As a teenager I used to drive a water taxi up to most of the camps bringing these guys out for weekends.

The loggers were tough as nails, strong as ****, definitely not politically correct (even before the term was invented) and the fallers made a shovel full of $$$$. Most of which seemed to disappear by the end of the month. Most of them that I knew were genuinely good guys with hearts of gold, new cars every year, and after spending all night drinking in the Lund Hotel beer parlour would usually get in some very vicious fights- usually with their best friend. I doubt if there is any other guys that could pick up a full 45 gallon drum of fuel by themself and place it in the back of a 1/2 ton. Not the type to get on their bad side.

I thought the show was good light entertainment if you ignored some of the technical quirks, creative editing and lame narrative.

The one thing I wish they would spend some more time with is how heli-logging doesn't damage the environment. There is another logging series on TV that features four logging companies in Washington State using conventional methods and their logging shows look like pig-pens with the terrain all torn up by equipment and the yarding of the logs across the landscape.

Never did figure out the hourly rate for the chinook <_<

Looking forward to the next episode of "how the cedar falls" :P

I've worked with every one of the loggers in that show, and met all the pilots. I was flying the jetranger that landed on the pad. I have to say, the possibilities and ideas that were hashed out every night around the dinner table between the crew and the loggers' about what shot would be the best and what angles would be most dramatic and accurrate, were endless. It was really easy to make the project all about the show and not about actually getting the wood on the ground. Some of the camera men were the guys that filmed "The Deadliest Catch". I was pretty impressed with their ability to adapt to this situation and run with it. Good on Gord Closson to entertain a portrail of logging on BC's westcoast. The camera crews new very little about helicopters and their capabilities, so I thought in the end, they did a good job with the footage. I don't know, anybody think they could sell a show about our business? What would it look like?

PS. Really cool to see some of the local talent on national TV. We do some neat stuff out here.

The one thing I wish they would spend some more time with is how heli-logging doesn't damage the environment.

If only they would understand that we are not logging! We are doing site preparation for tree planters!!

... or creating new wildlife habitat!

..or my favourite! We are not logging, we are medevacing the trees off the mountain because they have fallen and cannot get up!

I've worked with every one of the loggers in that show, and met all the pilots. I was flying the jetranger that landed on the pad. I have to say, the possibilities and ideas that were hashed out every night around the dinner table between the crew and the loggers' about what shot would be the best and what angles would be most dramatic and accurrate, were endless. It was really easy to make the project all about the show and not about actually getting the wood on the ground. Some of the camera men were the guys that filmed "The Deadliest Catch". I was pretty impressed with their ability to adapt to this situation and run with it. Good on Gord Closson to entertain a portrail of logging on BC's westcoast. The camera crews new very little about helicopters and their capabilities, so I thought in the end, they did a good job with the footage. I don't know, anybody think they could sell a show about our business? What would it look like?

PS. Really cool to see some of the local talent on national TV. We do some neat stuff out here.

Would like to know whays h^ppenning with Coulson! Are they still in ops? and what about the camp? still there ?

Would like to know whays h^ppenning with Coulson! Are they still in ops? and what about the camp? still there ?

Coulson has CLM and MAY in Victoria Australia on fires and XEC is in Darwin Australia on an offshore contract. The camp is in hibernation waiting for better wood prices.