Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Us Accident Stats

Having a bit more time on my hand I downloaded 2005-2008 accident database from FAA and loaded it into an Access database.

Most of the stats were as expected except r22/r44.

type total accidents total fatalities

r22 134 12

r44 73 33

The r 22 had nearly double the number of accidents to the R44 but the r22 had nearly 3 time the fatalities . I guess some can be explained by 4 seat vs 2 . Anyone have any input as to cause.

If any one wants the info in an excel sheet for all rotorcraft 2005- 2008 send me a PM and I will mail it to you.

I guess fomatting does not work here .

Having a bit more time on my hand I downloaded 2005-2008 accident database from FAA and loaded it into an Access database.

Most of the stats were as expected except r22/r44.

type total accidents total fatalities

r22 134 12

r44 73 33

The r 22 had nearly double the number of accidents to the R44 but the r22 had nearly 3 time the fatalities . I guess some can be explained by 4 seat vs 2 . Anyone have any input as to cause.

If any one wants the info in an excel sheet for all rotorcraft 2005- 2008 send me a PM and I will mail it to you.

I guess fomatting does not work here .

there are many times more 22's out there then 44's.

with silverstate closed those numbers should begin to drop... ;)

Do the stats state whether they are commercial or private aircraft? The Robinson helicopters are more economical for the the private pilot to purchase and generally (not always) private pilot=less experience and no annual training. I would put money that most of these were privately owned aircraft.

And I agree with more fatalities being associated with more seats in the R-44.