Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Man Survives Plunge Over Niagara Falls, Helicopter Assists In Rescue

4 years supporting the Royal Ulster Constabulary, plus other forces in UK, and EMS, plus being fairly knowledgeable about Fire Service matters. Firemen and lifeboat people deserve a special place in heaven.

Even if I wasn't, my comment still stands. The logic that you don't add another person to the emergency applies to the general public, in my opinion, who are not trained. Otherwise, what's the point in having emergency services if they're not going to pull you out of the sh*te?

phil

After working in Emergency Response (marine), I'd have to agree with Phil. And even if I hadn't, I'd still agree with Phil. If a person trains in emergency response, there's obviously an interest in being useful should an event occur that might require it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeffyG

i have worked along side reudi a few times on body recovery situations on that piece of river, well from the whirlpool down back when i spent a few years driving jetboats there. top notch pilot from what i saw

we all do things that are 'unsafe' at least perhaps in this case he did it to save human life which is more than i can say for most.

I was always told to make every effort to keep the downwash clear as possible in a water rescue for fear of overwhelming the victim.

A good example was the 412 in the recent Hudson rescue. Notice in the video how their downwash swamped one of the victims in the water near the cockpit as pilot was positioning to drop his diver as close as possible.

Good 'Ol Reudi.

Always willing to lend a helping hand and be there when you really need him.....just ask anybody who has worked at Niagara.

Just a prince.

Kind, considerate and caring.

Always thinking of the other guy first....never himself.

He is a ray of sunshine in an industry that can be so cold and heartless.

God bless you Reudi.

<_<

Guest SidewallPuncture
4 years supporting the Royal Ulster Constabulary, plus other forces in UK, and EMS, plus being fairly knowledgeable about Fire Service matters. Firemen and lifeboat people deserve a special place in heaven.

Even if I wasn't, my comment still stands. The logic that you don't add another person to the emergency applies to the general public, in my opinion, who are not trained. Otherwise, what's the point in having emergency services if they're not going to pull you out of the sh*te?

phil

I'd have to say your training differs from mine. Our policy is to not add to the body count or to become another victim. we do this by training extensively.

Yes I am trained to the best of my abilities to save peoples lives, the very same night at this incident, I spent 3 hours doing ice water rescue training to rescue guys just like this. We do everything we can to save a life, but we do it with the utmost safety in mind, not only for the current victim, but also further victims such as myself or other firefighters. When I decide the time is right to pull the pin and get out, thats my decision. We do not automatically have to give our life to save a life even though that is a noble and brave thing to do.

Ruedi obviously has experience to pull this off, no one is questioning that, but is he using the best equipment to do the job at hand? no...i personally think he can do better. If he wants the role as the local hero to jump at the opportunity when called, I would hope he has the best training and the best equipment available to him. Single engine down there is just running on borrowed time.

But I can see I'm going to be argued to death on this one, so lets just agree to disagree and move on. someday when Reudi finds himself swallowing a mouthfull of water, we can revisit this thread and talk some more.

Guest SidewallPuncture

well, i have to do something....the other dude still hasn't defined simpleton for me, so I have to leave that door open for arguing. I'm too simple to keep two different arguments going on in the same thread...... :rolleyes:

Personally, I think Ruedi was putting himself in a position whereby if the poor sod drowned, his family could come after him for causing the drowning, or at least being part of the cause, meaning major law suit against Ruedi.

Secondly, all good intentions aside, unless it was requested, or previously practiced and agreed to by the Qualified Emergency Response personnel, his good intentions may have actually hindered rescue efforts. Nothing worse than a well intentioned amateur hampering the attemps of the pro,s.

Lastly, single engine over water is a lost arguement Sidewall, think of all those single engine fixed wings flying IFR IMC, even TC has agreed that with modern turbines, the chance of a failure is so low that they feel safe allowing it. Might not be brightest thing to do, but the stats. are hard to ignore.