Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Man Survives Plunge Over Niagara Falls, Helicopter Assists In Rescue

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidewall,

What about all of us guys that make a living water bucketing with single engine machines- over the water a good percentage of the time? Your thoughts on this? I believe that the light twins similar to the Twinstar have water buckets about the size of the container that they use to wash the windows in the morning.

Come to think of it, maybe this is a good idea- job security as the fire gets bigger. I now agree with you.

B.M.

Thanks Mike. If I had pointed this out I would have been called a smartass - again!

Guest SidewallPuncture
Where's the dead horse-flogging emoticon?

Dick

of all the times you whine and cry about topics and their direction, if anyone listened to you this board would have what 15 posts a month? get over it.

Guest SidewallPuncture
Sidewall,

What about all of us guys that make a living water bucketing with single engine machines- over the water a good percentage of the time? Your thoughts on this? I believe that the light twins similar to the Twinstar have water buckets about the size of the container that they use to wash the windows in the morning.

Come to think of it, maybe this is a good idea- job security as the fire gets bigger. I now agree with you.

B.M.

was never ever talking about twinstars especially F1 F2's....get an N model and maybe you'll be in the ballpark.

I think twins should be used in alot of firefighting situations, not all, but some.

Love how you guys always try and take my view on one specific topic and apply it to everything. I have been talking about river rescues in the gorge at niagara falls.....not about firefighting.

When we get to fly on the moon, we better have twins up there...thought I'd toss that one in there before some of you tards get around to it.

Guest SidewallPuncture

SidewallPuncture,

Well that would be nice, just drop a huge chunk of change to have a "twin" rescue machine just in case some idiot decides to do something stupid...

Pretty easy to spend his money I guess.

you do know how much they charge per flight for a tour right? cha ching$$$...Ruedi has the coin and it's not sitting idle waiting for rescues....he could easily be utilising it on his regular tour run...did you not understand that?

Guest SidewallPuncture
I am sure there are a million reasons why they wouldn't work but, what about a set of pop out floats? :up:

he'd still be going in the water, he'd still be upside down and he'd still be swallowing water and now he's another victim to be rescued along with his 2 or 3 rescuers on board.

Guest SidewallPuncture
1 engine, 2 engines does it really matter? I think all you need sidewall is a little confidence in the machine(s) you fly. what good does a second engine do in a fully loaded 212 anyways?? Or the fact that a C-box is needed with 2 engines, thats just more parts to possibly fail isnt it??

confidence does go a long way, but who's gonna put a fully loaded 212 down in the gorge???

we're talking pilot, couple rescuers and some proper gear for winching/hositing/slinging a patient and rescuer to safety. I think even an old clapped out twinstar could pull that off most times.

as for the c-box....compared to complete engine failures from all causes...how many c-boxes have given up the goat and failed completely? Usually they chew themselves up internally, but still function for the short term don't they?