Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vertical Reference Training

So here it is - stupid tales from the past.

I was working off the coast of Rankin Inlet from a 400 foot research ship back in '95. The lead Hydrographer needed a mooring slung into the harbour for one of his survey boats. Me, with no long line experience, volunteer to place an anchor into the deep water with my trusty fixed float 206. So, the crew and I rig together one of the "finer synthetic long lines of the era" ( translation -huge anchor rope) to good old BSP. The helideck was designed originally for something smaller than a 206, so here I am, peering past a fixed float, trying to push the pedals thru the front, lifting this 700 lb anchor past antennas and crap that seemed alot closer than they probably were. In the end, the move went well, they got their mooring and I survived. Fun? yes. Stupid - that too, but whatever, the job got done.

The moral of this silliness? Get some training.

I had CTD of Terra Nova Consulting conduct a one day Vertical Reference seminar for our company pilots and students. It was a very informative session from a guy who's been there. I believe he's just finished the same presentation to some of the Coast Guard aircrew.

Anyone interested, email CTD for details. Good job, BV!

- Marten

Oh Yeah, the company I worked for at the time did give me a bit of long line training the next season. After start up on my first L1 training flight with the CP, he says we're going to move the boss's tin boat to his "secret lake". Go figure. I guess money was tight.

Anyone else care to share their tale?

I also had the privlege of attending this course taught by CTD. Although most of my longline experience has been spent dangling from the lower end, I found this course most informative.

It was well tailored to all the experience levels present. I learned heaps, most of which was very applicable to all types of flying, not just vertical reference.

Great course Brad. I look forward to putting these skills to use soon.