Synthetic Long Lines

:D

I think most of us get on this site after a few golden throat charmers (barley sandwiches).

As for the synthetic longlines, I used them a lot on the north coast of BC. Our concern was due to conductivity as we were operating along a parallel live circuit that was cranking out 267KV. Over sixty miles, the dead transmission line can build up a lot of induction.

If these synthetic longlines get dirty or wet, they will conduct electricity. They are great to longline with though. It almost takes a huge effort to get the load swinging.

Also, ultraviolet light degrades the lines, so if you are not using it, roll it up and put it out of the sun.

RH

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the synthetic lines because of their flight characteristics as well (especially with light loads the line really does whip less). I may be wrong but I think the purple brand of line has better U.V. protection than the blue stuff. And to be honest Skullcap, I've been using synthetic lines on seismic jobs for years and only occasionally on fires. Nobody ever told me how sensitive the crap is to heat, so you have actually taught me a valuable little tidbit of info by bringing up the subject... Thanks. :D

Thanks for the info rotorhead, the spectra lines however do not degrade with uv as kevlar does, the color will infact bleed out of it but the strength remains. They use spectra on tugs and and fishing boats, have left one of these lines outside lying in the sun for a year and when retested still had the same strength(breaking). I know a company that used kevlar 12 years ago and lost a helidrill and when the dust settled it was caused by the kevlar breaking down. I wouldn't use kevlar to lift anything, maybe good for bulletproof vest where is covered but thats it.

Dirt is definetly bad as not only does it have the conductivity problem but it gets in the fibres of the rope which act to break the rope down. It should be inspected for white powder like substance as sign of breaking down. To my knowledge fuel, water and such do not bother it as well. Spectra(amsteel blue) is one excellent product but heat and dirt are its nemisis. So keep it covered, don't use tiewraps to attach the electric cord to it and be extremely careful around heat. Some pilots land with the longline behind them, this practice is extremely hazardous for two reasons, one it is light and can be blown up into the t/r, the other especially around the 500 is the heat from the exhaust can cause breakdown of the line.

As mentioned before it seems strange that the heat hasn't bothered these lines one fires more than it has. Perhaps the sheathing acts to insulate the line.

Use of the synthetic lines takes respect. On fires, I would not recommend them, as for use on siesmic and other jobs of course. It is quite obvious that the users in here have alot of experience on both types. Pick your line use wisely and one will live another day!

Always willing to learn from experienced long liners, but we've switched from steel to synthetic over the past few years, and all our synthetics have a canvas sheath. Not only to protect the line, but also to tidy up the 6 core cable running to the Slingtank (or Bambi, using two of the cores). Not having had any issue with this set up, is it significantly different to what you all use?

Thanks for the info rotorhead, the spectra lines however do not degrade with uv as kevlar does, ...

Thanks,

I am not familiar with the Spectra lines. The company I worked for only used the Kevlar at the time and we were only approved to use it for a limited amount of applications. (live-line powerline work, etc.) The Spectra sounds like a great product, if it can survive use onboard a ship, I'd have a lot of confidence in it.

RH

As one of you mentioned, a sheath is very important on the line. I've seen a few in the field without the sheath as well as the electricals hanging very loosely and thats just an accident waiting to happen. I think with the proper sheath on the line it would be great for off-shore applications as well.