Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ppc

I will assume it is with TC, if so then expect a very mini version of your flight test.

They will begin with the usual pleasantries and get your documents and ppc reccommendatuon and while they are looking thru your file and they will give you a simulated trip with a performance question which will inlude w & b issues. They don't usually give a time line other than to say it shouldn't take longer than one hour. Once you have all the filght planning done and corrected then the trip is on.

Normally the trip is to last around an hour but is no time limit. They will ask to see a walk around(not a thorough one, usually a turnaround check) and do not forget to give them a briefing as the inspector is a passenger. VERY important. Use checklists and do not forget to clear the area visually prior to each takeoff and hover check/c of g check each time you lift into hover and then do your clearing turns for traffic.

So off you go on your trip and when they realize you can navigate the trip is diverted to include a confined area with an aborted takeoff(due to power or sim emergency). The aborted takeoff should be done either to reland in the hole or continue on to another safer location dependiing upon what stage the takeoff you are at, ie, if near the lip of the trees then continue the takeoff to land soon at another location. Be wary of hole too small and they may limit your power, do not try any trick to get out of hole with minimal power(such as tranlating turns) they want to see you land and reduce your load. In the confined area they maydo an offlevel landing or simulated hover exit but usually that is saved for the airport.

After the confined area then they go to the airport for emergencies; normally the hyd off is the one to get you back to the airport. If this is done then begin with the others, jammed pedal in hover, loss of t/r thrust in hover , jammed pedal inflight, engine failure in hover, plus autos, the autos will be straight in, 180' and MAYBE a 360, range variation will be included for sure. Depending upon the company and type whether they autos terminate to the ground or not, make sure everyone including you are clear on this prior to going flying, remember YOU are PIC.

Any enroute time is usually spent by responding to questions regarding procedures for caution lights and they will do a surprise engine failure on takeoff and one at altitude to ensure that you make a spot. The one on takeoff will go to the ground and the one at altitude is usually aborted when they see that you a made the spot.

Back at the airport the ride is not done yet, there will be questions regarding charts, cfs, weather, and airspace if they didn't ask preflight. If they ask for your license and do not have an open jar of peanut butter in their hand then let him have your license to sign, otherwise run like ****(just kidding).

Usually all done in 2-4 hours and if you get a nice inspector then it can be a pleasent experience and you will learn a thing or three(especially if you get kr). Maintain a proffessional attitude, listen closely, don't bs them and be keen and polite, good luck, and above all, don't look em in the eye they attack every time(just kidding again).

Let us know how you make out. :up:

sc

I've put this together as a small guide for the pre-flight. If anyone has something to add, please do.

PPC Study Guide

Before the day of your PPC be sure to have all of your personal documentation in order. This should include your license, medical, radio license, PPC card and dangerous goods card. Be sure to have all of the appropriate exams completed and corrected to 100%. Include your signature on every exam once this is done.

Before you actually sit down with the inspector, have with you the aircraft log book, filled out with the proper weight and balance amendment for the dual control installed. Be sure that it is the proper amendment and the aircraft is configured to match the paperwork. Have with you the current graphical area forecast, a copy of the weight and balance chart, current maps and VTA. Also have available an AIP, flight sup, and the notams for the area.

These are the areas that you should become familiar with in detail, before the day of the ride.

The aircraft limitations including but not limited to:

1) Gross weight, internal and external.

2) VNE including with the door removed and the decrease with altitude.

3) Emergency Procedures. All of them. Caution lights, actions ect.

4) Max Engine temperatures and time limitations.

5) Max torque values and time limitations.

6) How to plot a weight and balance graph. eg. For the ppc flight.

7) How to plot an engine power check. eg. Rpm 386, tq 75%, 5000' pa, -10 c, 98% ng.

8) Max Weight in compartments, in the cabin, floor loading, on hook.

9) How to plot hover in and out of ground effect charts.

Basically know the aircraft inside and out, and if you don't, ask!

Find and study the guides for the:

1) Metar. In the AIP sec. Met 3.15

2) Terminal Area Forecast. In the AIP sec Met 3.9

3) Graphical Area Forecast. Find some info in the AIP under Met. Sec. 3.3

This includes how to decode, as well as the valid periods ect. This is an area that all the inspectors will visit, so study up.

Other areas to have committed to memory are:

1) Weather minimums for airspace.

2) Classification of Airspace.

3) Transponder codes.

4) Onboard paperwork, what do you need to fly?

5) Maps and the VTA. Is the map valid? How do you tell? (Internet)

6) Reading Maps, all symbols and codes. What airspace are you in if you are here? What does that mean in regards for your wx mins. Airspace floors and tops in control zones.

7) Max hours allow in 30, 60, 90, 365 days. As well as for the ops spec that we have.

It is the responsibility of the pilot to be prepared for the PPC, Please let me know if there is anything that I can get for you in terms of study material, or if I can clarify any other points.

Toni, take note of the above mentioned material - all excellent points. :up:

Every PPC or PCC are the same routine. Get a copy of the check sheet from your CP and everything that you are going to do in the aircraft is on it. They all run the same after a while, WX, W&B, RCFM, flight plan, OPS MAN, DI, PAX brief, followed by the normal procedures, emergency procedures and operational procedures for the flight. I have never done a navigation exercise on a TC PPC and do not believe it is required.

During your ground briefings have your AIP and CFS and OPS manual and any other reference handy to look up questions that you don't know the answer for. Don't try to BS your way thru...An "I don't know but I will find it for you" goes a long way. Don't be afraid to say "I have no idea, or I have never heard of that before" the TC guys love to teach and are a wealth of information so use there brain to your advantage. When thay say "I have control" watch and learn you are going to see a few knew tricks to help save your *** or pride somewhere down the road. You have the right to say no at any point in the ride as you are the pilot in command and they are the passanger. this is important to remember during the " I want to land there.. " portion of the flight. :D

Keep learning and you will keep living...

Best o' luck,

VR

Toni,

Try to relax!! It is a simple exam..."Are you safe to fly with?" Those above mentioned points are great, maybe try not so much to memorize them, just be able to locate the answers and references! Thus, you must know all the books and documents. Be sure the back of your pilot's licence hasn't any endorsements that have been signed off! (90days max.) If this 90 days is up you don't have a valid licence!