Student Loans

action jackson

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say it's discouraging, it's just the truth. And the point is that nothing worth doing ever comes easily. For me, I'll be surprised if I have a flying job inside of 3 years of getting my license. You just have to accept it if you want to start out as a rookie pilot. Just remember the old saying, "All Good Things to Those Who Wait."

• 2 weeks later...

To boost the spirits of anyone wanting to get their CPL(H), there are those who do get very lucky breaks. There is a former student of the school I'm attending who got a job flying a Jet Ranger 10 hours a week. I guess he went there looking for whatever they could give, expecting a ground crew spot at best, and is now flying right from the get-go. Not too shabby for a 100 hour pilot straight out of school! Though it is very rare, it shows it does still happen.

No one has any loan programmes in Ontario anymore. A few students walked thru our doors and asked for loan information. TD and all the rest are gone! Best thing to do is put your car down for equity and among other things and get a personal loan to pay it all back! Or a line of credit! The job thing can be another down fall at the end of your training when it is time to pay it all back!

If you have been out of school for sometime, talk to HRDC sometimes they can swing a few options to you for help!

you have a good atitude there ryan. go with your dream.....

of my last semester students (4) three got jobs in their first summer, the semester before that 2 out of 4 got work and the 2 that didn't were from switzerland that moved back home where one is already flying.......

there are NO guarantees. law schools pump out lawyers with no guarantees of work. same with the universities in all different professions.

as for student loans. if you can, live in alberta because their student loans program pays for almost half the course!!!!!

duf, any school you check out should be able to show you ALL the students they have trained and tell you who got jobs or not. schools say they have the "best placement record in Canada" or something like that. that came from a government survey taken MANY years ago that may not be accurate today.

to anyone thinking of taking the plunge into this industry, it is in your best interests to investigate EVERY school, ask a TON of questions. we recommend taking a one hour "intro" flight that WE count as your first hour of training REGARDLESS of which school you did it. paying around $400.00 for a one hour flight to confirm your desire to fly is a good investment in my mind.

my two bits........