Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Liability Insurance For Ame's

Paul

As an AME contractor, what kind of insurance do I need? Where do I get this insurance?

You probably don't need insurance unless you are working on non-commercial aircraft or have your own AMO. Usually you will be performing work for an AMO that gives you ACA to certify maintenance on their behalf. No insurance needed.

ps - Please feel free to point out something I may be missing. I'm no expert here and might be overlooking the obvious.

I'm thinking that depending on how you have your contractor status set up, just because you have their ACA, you may not be covered for liability/negligence issues....

You may want to check on that one.

But, I have no idea - just hear rumblings from some of the pilot's side on liability issues.

You probably don't need insurance unless you are working on non-commercial aircraft or have your own AMO. Usually you will be performing work for an AMO that gives you ACA to certify maintenance on their behalf. No insurance needed.

There is little holding back the AMO or the AMO's insurer from making a claim against an AME if they decided to do so, in order to recover funds should the poop hit the fan. At the last PAMEA conference there was a presentation about AME liability. While the guy making the presentation was I believe essentially a consultant for the insurance companies (so take what he said with a grain of salt), but unfourtunately society is becoming more and more (excessively) litigious, and one has to cover one's own arse. The only real insurance an AME has, is do things by the book and don't fcuk up.

AME liability insurance is available out there, though not all insurance companies offer it. It's also expensive for an individual (IIRC from the PAMEA conference, somewhere around $1500/yr), although it sounds as though getting a group together could lower the premiums.

If you're looking at getting insurance, I guess your best bet would be to contact PAMEA, ask for the name of the guy who made the presentation, and start your research there.

This is a really good subject that as ame's we need to be giving more attention. I am about to do my first tour overseas and find myself lacking in alot of information. Liability insurance being part of it. I am also wonder about what happens if we get hurt working for companies outside of canada. I have generally always worked as a full time employee, but as more and more ame's go contract and as was said, lawsuits become more prevelent, we need to consider these things and find solutions. Years ago there was talk of an association being formed does anyone out there know what ever became of such talk?

• 3 weeks later...

AON insurance was able to get an insurance quote for a contract aviation buisiness. What was recommended is two types of insurance, one called product insurance (protects you if there is liability claims against you after an incident/accident much like errors and ommision insurance), the second is called premise insurance (this would help cover you if you damage something or injure someone in the hanger or place of work). This insurance is not cheap but it is available.