Human Factors Course

Skywrench

According to regulations, AMEs are to have recurrent human factors training every 3 years. I recently sat through a CRM (crew resource management) course, as it satisfies TC's requirements for human factors training for AMEs, but 85% of the course was aimed at cockpit operations during flight. After a brief discussion with my DM, he made the statement that anyone can conduct a human factors course for recurrent training as long as they follow the guidelines as set out in a kit available from TC. Now this got me thinking about building a course of my own, which my employer can use with the possibility of my course being employed by other companies for thier training. I know how bland a lot of these courses are, and I would like to find a way to make them more informative and enjoyablebe those of us that are required to take the training, so here in a nutshell are my thoughts:

TC always speaks of the "dirty dozen" in human factors, but I would like to conduct training based upon real examples within the industry in Canada as scaled down case studies for the various points in the "dozen". My thoughts are that if you can provide examples from the country in which we are all employed, it may hit closer to home. On the same note, covering all facets of the industry, from fling wing to plank wing, heavies to fart carts to further drive that point that no area of the industry is at an advantage over another may be of a benefit. Keep in mind, these are my preliminary thoughts, and there is a lot of work that would go into putting a course together.

I would like to hear thoughts and opinions from everyone and anyone that has been through HF training. Been through any good courses, and what made them good? Likewise, what made the bad ones bad? Based on the simplified model of what I would like to achieve with a course I would put together as stated above, do you think this is a good model for HF training? I know HF training at best is usually pretty dry material, and I am looking for a way to conduct a course as an AME for AMEs where people don't walk out of the course with the notion that was "too similar to the last one" and "overly boring". All input is appreciated.

Just as an asside Skywrench.

I have done a fifty year course in human factors leading to good decision making process. It has really worked for me.

Unfortunately I don't know how to write a manual from it. :up:

I know... I know, that is not what you are looking for.............but I had to try.

Rev. chas W.

Guest graunch1

The biggest stumbling block from using examples is covered under one word. LAWSUIT. You will have to be very careful about your examples as some companies get pretty upset if they find out htat you are using them as a bad example................Even if the incident/accident is in the "public domain"

I agree on the lawsuit thoughts, and that folks would not want to be made a bad example of. There are lots of lower profile incidents and occurances that do not make the national news which would make it easier to omit names of operators, but are still good examples that can be used for training. I guess I am hoping that more peoples mentalities lie in the same direction that mine does, in that everyone makes errors, and those errors can be used to attempt to prevent mistakes in the future. Personally, I would have no problem contacting operators involved in incidents to gain thier approval, as it would also allow more insight if they were willing to share any internal investigations that were done.

Oh Man;

You are going to have to elaborate on this one Maggie, I don't want to be thinking it is the transportation of really dangerous goods, ya know, beer, wings, tequila,,,,,,pretty explosive mixture. :wacko:

I can see the headlines now, Eurocopter plant shut down due to minor gas leak which caused a small explosion in a customer's helicopter. It seems that an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer was installed a"donut buddy" in an AS350B3 when a spark from drill he was using ignited an unknown gas source. The AME was found hanging from a nearby chain hoist sans uniform and seemingly in shock as cannot remember anything past the eaarly morning hours prior to work. :shock:

A local spokesperson from eurocopter says he doesn't know f09k nothing about any explosion but knows f98k all about what else is going on.

sc

I know, I know, back to work........sorry.

****, here I thought for sure it would something awe inspiringly silly.

So, thats why they started to listen when I told them everyone needs dangerous goods by road training, here I thought they were starting to listen. WRONG, money talks.

If I find any t-shirts will send them to Eurocopter? What size?

sc

The best human factors course I had was in house and the TC rep had a large group of experienced AME's come up with an AD for a fictitious scenario without grounding the entire fleet nationwide. The faulted part had caused a fatality but seemed somewhat isolated. The separate teams of engineers all came up with different criteria for the AD and it was a real eye opener...kinda made you think.