Cougar S-92 Crash

How many mounting studs does the S-92 have for the main gear box? Are these studs the majority of what holds the rotor head and gearbox to the airframe? Sorry for my ignorance. I would like for only these two questions to be answered, PLEASE. AND NO SPECULATION, PLEASE!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many mounting studs does the S-92 have for the main gear box? Are these studs the majority of what holds the rotor head and gearbox to the airframe? Sorry for my ignorance. I would like for only these two questions to be answered, PLEASE. AND NO SPECULATION, PLEASE!

'Mounting points' might be a little better terminology 06.

Regards

splitpin

If you are referring to the "broken studs" found on the aircraft that crashed off the coast of Newfoundland recently then these are studs for the MGB oil filter housing. I believe there are 3 studs and they do not have anything to do with securing the rotorhead.

If this is speculation then so be it!

If you are referring to the "broken studs" found on the aircraft that crashed off the coast of Newfoundland recently then these are studs for the MGB oil filter housing. I believe there are 3 studs and they do not have anything to do with securing the rotorhead.

If this is speculation then so be it!

Thanks for the response. I wasn't referring to that type of speculation helicopterjim. And yes that did clear up a misunderstanding in my mind because I was referring to the Cougar S-92.

Why do you need to know this, if it is because of the Cougar accident the studs were attaching the oil filter to the MGB not mounting the rotor head or gearbox to the airframe.

So does the aircraft merely become uncontrollable when these studs break or come loose, or does anything major mechanically go wrong along with it becoming uncontrollable? Maybe better asked what makes the studs so critical?

I guess it's time to start talking about the causes and circumstances that led up to and caused this terrible accident. There seems to be enough official information released to share our thoughts rationally.

Does anyone know how the filter bowl is attached. Is it a flush mount with studs or a recessed flange type with studs as per PT-6?