Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bc Forest Service Dialogue Request

My name is Steve Newton. I'm currently the Superintendent of Aviation for the BC Forest Service. My responsibilities are provincial in nature and include aviation safety and the effective utilization of helicopters in wildfire suppression. I've just recently been made aware of this forum and I'm looking for some sort of a platform to engage industry folks in dialogue, ask advice, bounce ideas off of etc. Given the number of people registered in this forum, it seems to me to be a great way to tap in to the critical mass of knowledge and experience of you folks.

Is there anyone out there that disagrees with me using this forum to further my aviation interests? There's any number of topics I could discuss but my general theme would be around "how can the BC Forest Service do a better job of managing and utilizing helicopters in wild fire activities?".

Newt...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Steve Newton. I'm currently the Superintendent of Aviation for the BC Forest Service. My responsibilities are provincial in nature and include aviation safety and the effective utilization of helicopters in wildfire suppression. I've just recently been made aware of this forum and I'm looking for some sort of a platform to engage industry folks in dialogue, ask advice, bounce ideas off of etc. Given the number of people registered in this forum, it seems to me to be a great way to tap in to the critical mass of knowledge and experience of you folks.

Is there anyone out there that disagrees with me using this forum to further my aviation interests? There's any number of topics I could discuss but my general theme would be around "how can the BC Forest Service do a better job of managing and utilizing helicopters in wild fire activities?".

Newt...

Allot for you to hear and learn, and also for the less experience folks hanging over here...

Ithing you made the right decision by asking this, and you will certainly find lots of enthusiastic people regarding such of a constructive subject.

I'm really looking forward to here about the new regulation, base on experience level to work fires.

You are a very much needed person over here and i sincerely say....WELCOME!

Cheers.

I for one think you have a great idea Newt. It would be good for you to get some feedback from the troops that actually do the work. But, be prepared for a lot of flack coming your way. There will be a lot of good input from the troops to you, and a lot of flack from the chronic complainers.

Once again, great idea. I'm sure this is a first.

Good one Newt. I agree. Its a good place to swap ideas instead of having regulations crammed down our throats. I believe that crew qualifications and experience should be watched more carefully in the interest of safety. I have seen some pretty stupid stunts out there out of sheer inexperience and lack of common sense. Good luck with this project

Hi Newt,

Thanks for including us! I look forward to some lively discussion.

Please take the time to read a variety of threads in this forum. Having some context (and a good bullsh*t detector!) may be helpful for interpreting the feedback from our little community.

Cheers,

Dick

Hi Newt,

Thanks for including us! I look forward to some lively discussion.

Please take the time to read a variety of threads in this forum. Having some context (and a good bullsh*t detector!) may be helpful for interpreting the feedback from our little community.

Cheers,

Dick

I look forward to reading the other conversation threads. It will help me get a better sense of the industry pulse I think. Thanks for the support.

Newt...

I for one think you have a great idea Newt. It would be good for you to get some feedback from the troops that actually do the work. But, be prepared for a lot of flack coming your way. There will be a lot of good input from the troops to you, and a lot of flack from the chronic complainers.

Once again, great idea. I'm sure this is a first.

Thanks for the advice. It is my hope that people don't use this venue to complain or vent. I'm looking for honest, sincere feedback that our organization may be able to use.

Newt...

It is my hope that people don't use this venue to complain or vent.

Newt...

Be rest assured Newt, that will happen. Unfortunately it's the nature of our business as in any business. When it does happen just take a deep breath and try to ignore it. There are more that enough sensible and very professional people on this site to compensate for the whiners.

Good Luck on your endeavour.

Fire away Newt, lets get this show on the road. :up: :up: