Bc Forest Service Dialogue Request

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Newt,

Good to visit in Vancouver- will have to do this again. Back from Mirabel with our new L-4- 2 days ago.

L.R. busy down here every day getting it ready for fire season 09. (A little pi$$ed about the Rose thing)

As we spoke, we can give our 2 bits worth whenever you need input from our area as well as pursuing what we spoke about with the mountain stuff. Allot of good topics on these forums, just ask a question and you will get many answers. It seems to be a good group of people using the forum for discussions.

B.M.

Glad to have you on board Newt. Things are changing in the aviation world and the only way we, customers and operators, can mitigate some of the problems we've had in the past is through dialogue and consultation.

As others have already said here, beware of the occasional sharp jab from some of the more openly opinionated folks.

Enjoy.

Good on ya Newt!

Refreshing that BCFS would open dialoge with the pilots that work in the Province. The only thing that I would like to see is a reduction of reporting to ops managers over non issues. As long as a pilot or engineer is doing his or her job in a safe way, and there are no safety issues then really reporting of matter that are unrelated to the task should be eliminated.

I always have appreciated being made aware of concerns crews have and the opportunity to sort them out first before it goes up the ladder and stories get mixed up.

Professional courtesy??

Cheers Newt

HF

Hi Steve

I've been flying on fires for a long time, most of it in B.C. and I don't think this is a good way for you to get any info. The best way would be to get out on the fires and talk to the guys, or go to the hangers of the operators who work for you. I've been watching this forum for a long time and this is my first reply. I find that the majority of the people on here don't have a clue, but still give their opinion anyway. It's pointless to get someone who flyies most of the time in another province to comment about B.C. Forestry.

Long Tour

Hey Newt,

Good on ya,

I think overall you guys run a pretty good show. Because you guys and gals are "public servants" you are under a major microscope of a vast variety of ideas and opinions on how you do business. I think the 61 idea last summer was a great stab at new ways to do initial attack. I personally think it was too much helicopter for the job. Perhaps a Bell medium with two three person crews would be another idea. A little smaller footprint in the woods, and maybe a little easier to find fuel in remote sites, but still packs a punch for water delivery. I think BCFS is gradually swinging more towards larger intermediates (B2 407) that are more capable for intital attack. Although more expensive, I still think you're ahead in range to targets and overall capability to suppress fire. Foam...where do YOU stand on it? I think it helps, and if it means me getting the job over another machine, I'll use it everytime. BUT, that stuff is brutally corrosive and messy. It's no fun trying to get your bucket back inside the medium after using foam, doesn't matter how well you rinse it. Not so bad if one has a basket though.

Like I say, you have a big ship there, and a small rudder. Takes a long time for thngs to change sometimes. All the power to you, and great idea!

P