Bc Forest Service Dialogue Request

Hi Newt. Welcome to the forum. I do have a quick question, although you may not be able to answer it yet. What is BCFS policy regarding AFF for this coming season? I ask because last season, there was a particular operator who seemed to be on BCFS fires when three other companies here were parked watching. The funny thing is that the 3 companies doing the watching all have various AFF installed. My company spent nearly $20000/aircraft- granted, way in excess of the minimum requirement. The other two companies also had fully approved AFF systems. The bone we all had to pick was when the 4th company was getting away with cell phones and SPOT units. As far as I can tell from the BCFS AFF site, these are not approved. Perhaps someone can clarify the BCFS policy on here for all to see. Thanks Newt.

BCFS can't and won't recommend any specific brand of tracking technology. We require that any AFF technology for our system meet the established technical data standards. If that's the case then our AFF systems folks can enter an aircraft for tracking into our system. If a technology doesn't meet the data standards, then they can't be entered into our system. One place you may be able to get info about whether a particular technology meets the data standards is probably the suppliers providing that technology themselves.

The standards are described in greater detail at http://bcwildfire.ca/FightingWildfire/Aviation/AFF/

On a related note, if you're going to be switching tracking units between aircraft, please let us know as our system associates aircraft registration to the tracking icon. If you switch and we're not aware then our system is tracking the wrong aircraft.

Thanks...

Newt...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again Newt. Thanks for the reply. I think you answered most of what I was looking for. I think the only thing I really still wondering about is BCFS policy on having a AFF system in order to be hired by BCFS. I was told by local BCFS personnel that the only an aircraft can be hired without an approved AFF is if no other option exists- that was certainly not the case last summer. I was under the impression, correct me if I am wrong, that it is not only "preferential" to have approved AFF to be hired, but that it is now absolutely mandatory as per the BCFS AFF web page. Can I assume that this is correct? Thanks Newt.

Guest bag swinnger

HI Newt,

Just wondering what BCFS thought of the initial attack program with the heavies last year and if they are going to continue with it?

Shawn

Newt, good to see you here.

Forums are a tricky place to aquire information, as there are as many different opinions and flying styles as there are pilots or operators.

We tend to think we have the best/right equipment for the job based on what we happen to be selling. (strapped to at the time). What works in one area may not work in another. One pilot will say long line bucketing is stupid, because of a lack of relevant skill. One pilot can do a great job at initial attack with a certain aircraft while another will say it has inadequate power, for example. So answers/opinions need to be evaluated based on experience level, training, and work environment to name a few.

Looking forward to some good discussion

Newt, I really have to ask.... Altho we have to pay attention as there are cracks in the system....What makes BCFS a Higher authority of what makes helicopter aviation safer or more efficient than our own Ops mgrs , Chief pilots AND Transport Canada??? It really does piss me off. I dunno.. Can you splain that too me... Thought we had that pretty much covered. I know that the operators have a vested interest to keep the helis turning but at the same time they dont need any lawsuit so they are gonna be pretty careful BUT Seems to mee that T/C has it covered ya think ?? Why does BCFS need a SOUP for Aviation especially since BCFS have NO PILOTS in the administration ??? Oh ya There are consultants but no but do I really need to go there?? Talk to me.

I just really need to know.

What makes BCFS a Higher authority of what makes helicopter aviation safer or more efficient than our own Ops mgrs , Chief pilots AND Transport Canada??? It really does piss me off. Why does BCFS need a SOUP for Aviation especially since BCFS have NO PILOTS in the administration ???

The BCFS flies over 30K hours every year (mostly heli) and any org with that activity needs someone to define and manage a safety program, develop policies & procedures and ensure appropriate training for govt staff who fly as passengers or crew. Any of us who have taken crew resource management training understand that customers and clients may be links in an accident chain, which all of us are keen to avoid.

Its great that companies and operators have safety/efficiency programs, but you'll note any large entity govt firefighting or oil & gas or whatever will hire an aviation manager, whether they own or contract their aircraft.

However a strong background in av is critical if you want to gain traction and respect. I watched the BCFS SOUP stand up in a committee meeting at the recent hac conference a month ago and refer to himself and his peers as ground dummies, which does not instill confidence among all the players in the industry.

Personally, I don't see a problem with that introduction.

I would give more respect to a BCFS Supt. if he modestly introduced himself to HAC as a 'ground dummy', than if he was to stand up and tell us that he knows it all.

(That's more like the guys from the next province over !!)