Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bc Forest Service Dialogue Request

Fire management is the world I work in now and I am going to make a stab at responding to this:

"Newt, I really have to ask.... Altho we have to pay attention as there are cracks in the system....What makes BCFS a Higher authority of what makes helicopter aviation safer or more efficient than our own Ops mgrs , Chief pilots AND Transport Canada??? It really does piss me off. I dunno.. Can you splain that too me... Thought we had that pretty much covered. I know that the operators have a vested interest to keep the helis turning but at the same time they dont need any lawsuit so they are gonna be pretty careful BUT Seems to mee that T/C has it covered ya think ?? Why does BCFS need a SOUP for Aviation especially since BCFS have NO PILOTS in the administration ??? Oh ya There are consultants but no but do I really need to go there?? Talk to me.

I just really need to know."

The answer is a bit complicated. The govt agencies are not exactly a higher authority but they are a very specialized customer and are considered to be so by TC. Fire agencies are the only non-federal agency that has an automatic authority to direct fire aircraft within a specified airspace and can be delegated expanded authority to all aircraft within that airspace. (CARs 601.15, 601.16) Fire management has sub-part 702 definitions as well NAFTA definitions (although how that is applied is a moot point). The whole area of 702 aerial work is the least regulated and the most potentially complex of all VFR work. Transport Canada standards seem to be steadily declining, especially in the 702 world. Perhaps this is because "aerial work" is getting more complicated and sophisticated whereas the regulations and standards are not.

Transport Canada officials have said to the fire agencies that we are considered to be an educated customer, that we know more about the specialized nature of aerial work on fires than TC does, and that if we want specialized safety standards, we should set them. This is part of the underlying reason why the fire agencies are working with HAC to develop a "best practices" model of defining specialized pilot competencies that stays away from the arbitrary regulatory approach and that works towards the idea of managed safety.

To quote a TC document:

"Of all the tasks you can perform in a helicopter, working on forest fires in particular can make a pilot feel like the central figure in an action movie—smoke, flames, noise, equipment, and crews deployed in and out of tough spots on short notice; even the possibility of evacuating towns at risk. Other operators’ crews are watching. All eyes are on you. “Here’s the job. I know it’s tough. Are you pilot enough to handle it?” The pressure quickly mounts, and it takes maturity to remember where the lines are and not get sucked into the emotional vortex."

Fire agencies operate full-time helibases with bulk fuel facilities. Their crews build temporary fireline helipads. Fire agencies provide food and accommodation (yeah, yeah, it's never at the Hilton - insert new thread here). Fire agencies run integrated dispatch systems and perform the legally required flightwatch/flight following. Some fire agencies own and operate their own aircraft as sub-part 702 operators. Fire agencies have nationally certified bird-dog officers who call the shots with air tankers and actively coordinate all air traffic within fire airspace. Fire agencies train crews in hover emplene/deplane. Fire agencies have explicit permission to put an officer in a helicopter performing external load work. (Some) fire agencies train staff in helibase management, air operations supervison and aviation emergency response/accident investigation.

Fire agencies are also experiencing the same sort of staff turnover/re-training and budget issues the helicopter industry is feeling. Along with this comes increased expectations for public accountability and transparency that are sometimes unrealistic in an emergency situation (don't get me started on that right now).

With all of this comes a responsibilty to fight fire effectively, efficiently and overall, safely. This takes a pro-active approach and works best when there is a sense of cooperation and communication with the service suppliers. However when the fire season is in full swing, the 'Great Canadian Air Race' has started and everybody is pushing hard - the difficulties arise. That's when it becomes a challenge for us all.

Well. Thank you for that. I learned someting new again today. I agree with everything you have mentioned and and commend you on your very enlightened and educational response. TOO COOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had an issue with BC, Alberta, Sask, or Ontario (or the states).

Never had anyone "tattle tailing" on me about anything.

Have told lots of customers if they have a problem with me, my engineer, or equipment to call my Ops Mgr at ???-???-????. No calls yet. :D

Perhaps it's not the forest system (or anyone else).

Maybe the answer lies in the magic mirror.

Just sayin' maybe....

You may be right forestry is infalable!!! :rolleyes: I'd be willing to share the blame 50% of the time~!

• 3 weeks later...