Sling Loads And Passengers

I,m going to hijack the thread here for a moment, as it appears you have your answer X.

Quite a few years ago, actually my last summer on fires, I was on a long term contract out of Frank,s Channel, NWT, with a 212.

I was asked to move base to a fire camp, which meant loading all our gear in the heli and moving base, but was also asked to transport a radio operator to the new camp.

I refused, stating that the only empty seat would be the rear side seat, and if we had an accident and rolled over on that side, the emergency exit would be blocked, and with the heli full of gear, no immediate access to the pax. My thinking was we are now in a utility mode, hauling crap inside, and no longer in pax mode.

So, we took off, land at our new base, and a 212 with the Chief Pilot of Kelowna,s biggest Heli company lands, shuts down, and out pops the radio operator, from the side facing seat, with a heli full of gear, same as I would have been.

I looked at this and just shook my head, but to add insult the prick walks over, looks me in the eye, and says " I just flew the radio operator in, with my heli full of gear, and I didn,t break any laws"

I never said a thing, but to this day I still think of this incident, and I realize that there was a bit of testosterone involved on the other side with me working for Canadian. My question was, and still is, was I right to refuse a pax, with a heli full of gear, on the assumption of her not being able to get out should the unthinkable happen.

Thanks for any comments, and I return the thread to X

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you reorganize a summers worth of gear, and make a utility heli safe for a pass. any seat would have been amongst the gear, and there fore not only unsafe, but illegal in my mind.

I could be way wrong, but my thinking is you can not mix pax and that amount of gear in the same compartment, it is either or neither, and I chose to be on the safe side, but obviously still question my descion.

I,m going to answer my own question here.

I was just informed via PM that in 1996 the CARs that came into affect state mixing pax,s and freight is illegal.

This incident happened in 94, so it would have fallen under the old Air Reg,s, which also clearly stated that freight and pax could not be mixed if the restrained freight could block the emergency exits in the event of an accident, preventing the pax,s to exit.

Thanks CM

Back to enjoying life!

Guest Angry Egg Driver
I,m going to hijack the thread here for a moment, as it appears you have your answer X.

Quite a few years ago, actually my last summer on fires, I was on a long term contract out of Frank,s Channel, NWT, with a 212.

I was asked to move base to a fire camp, which meant loading all our gear in the heli and moving base, but was also asked to transport a radio operator to the new camp.

I refused, stating that the only empty seat would be the rear side seat, and if we had an accident and rolled over on that side, the emergency exit would be blocked, and with the heli full of gear, no immediate access to the pax. My thinking was we are now in a utility mode, hauling crap inside, and no longer in pax mode.

So, we took off, land at our new base, and a 212 with the Chief Pilot of Kelowna,s biggest Heli company lands, shuts down, and out pops the radio operator, from the side facing seat, with a heli full of gear, same as I would have been.

I looked at this and just shook my head, but to add insult the prick walks over, looks me in the eye, and says " I just flew the radio operator in, with my heli full of gear, and I didn,t break any laws"

I never said a thing, but to this day I still think of this incident, and I realize that there was a bit of testosterone involved on the other side with me working for Canadian. My question was, and still is, was I right to refuse a pax, with a heli full of gear, on the assumption of her not being able to get out should the unthinkable happen.

Thanks for any comments, and I return the thread to X

Well you know if you work for said company that you are the best in the industry and never break any rules... :lol:

"I looked at this and just shook my head, but to add insult the prick walks over,"

Just for the record "the prick in question" is bar none one of the finest drivers around and I personally would fly to H and back with him. Did he contravene the CARS and did he make you look bad, probabley but he definatly isn't the first and he won't be the last.

cargo restraint net? better re read the cars on pax plus (restrained) cargo. maybe those rules are from your companys ops manual. ps if you are flying unrestrained cargo, YOU are yourself breaking the cars rules. if its not safe for your pax, its not safe for you. and yes i have been across canada in a loaded medium. maybe you should play tetris more. lol

"I looked at this and just shook my head, but to add insult the prick walks over,"

Just for the record "the prick in question" is bar none one of the finest drivers around and I personally would fly to H and back with him. Did he contravene the CARS and did he make you look bad, probabley but he definatly isn't the first and he won't be the last.

This is an example of "one of the finest"???? <_<

why would a chief pilot of said company preach every year safety, safety,safety. we are a safe operation, put himself in a position where we know the rules of passengers and cargo?

I know we all bend rules.

The next training i am on. I'll just tell them. I will be breaking your rules of safety. Just give me my PPC and recurrent. Seems it is ok to do so. See how long i'll have a job.

Next time on an airline and i am in an exit row. I'm just going to glog the floors with my carry on and say. its ok to block the exitway. we do it all the time