Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sling Loads And Passengers

Well said smoothair. Of ALL people, a chief pilot should be leading by example. He was definitely leading by example, just unfortunately the wrong way. I would be very embarassed to be him. I know some pretty crappy pilots are out there when it comes to doing things safely, (as I look out my window and see our competition hot fuelling right here at the airport!!!!), but this industry is in really rough shape if we tolerate chief pilots blatantly breaking rules. Yes, we all bend the rules at times, but to proudly boast when we break them- that is shameful.

Hopefully fly safer than that everyone.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in James Bay lowlands last fall moving drills, saw new company on an OC from a company in Alberta blatantly carring passengers while hooking up longline, we are not talking one guy in front, but last I saw was 4 pax getting on board, and that was at an airport, so blatant that even local fixed wing scheds came and asked if legal. Couldn;t beleive it myself. You reading this forum Sam the cowboy, maybe ya should, hear you applying for your own OC. gonna be alot of guys protesting that with TC. me included we can do without that for sure.....you crash then the other guys doing it legal get flak....

cargo restraint net? better re read the cars on pax plus (restrained) cargo. maybe those rules are from your companys ops manual. ps if you are flying unrestrained cargo, YOU are yourself breaking the cars rules. if its not safe for your pax, its not safe for you. and yes i have been across canada in a loaded medium. maybe you should play tetris more. lol

Scotty, obviously you are firmly intrenched in the other camp, that,s fine, and that is why I brought it up, as it still appears that some people still think it is OK.

I have always restrained my cargo, and have always tried to put safety ahead of everything else, mainly because I have seen the consequences, as have most of us.

I would not sit in that seat myself under those circumstances, nor would I ask the engineer to take that seat and put the R.O. up front, so why would I put anybody back there, and knowingly break the law.

It is simply, beyond me why anybody would still do it.

Not sure what tetris is, but I am not much into games. :D

212wrench,

I sometimes forget that I,m not sitting at the table in my local Timmies, enjoying a double double with a few buddies. My description of said pilot was uncalled for, as I am also trying to improve the caliber of this forum, and I would like to retract that expletive.

I will say, first impressions are indeed lasting ones. I have not seen said pilot since that time, but obviously, that incident still raises the hackles on the back of my neck.

Well said smoothair. Of ALL people, a chief pilot should be leading by example. He was definitely leading by example, just unfortunately the wrong way. I would be very embarassed to be him. I know some pretty crappy pilots are out there when it comes to doing things safely, (as I look out my window and see our competition hot fuelling right here at the airport!!!!), but this industry is in really rough shape if we tolerate chief pilots blatantly breaking rules. Yes, we all bend the rules at times, but to proudly boast when we break them- that is shameful.

Hopefully fly safer than that everyone.

So whats the big deal with "hot" refueling? If an ops manual approves it, does that make it a bad thing? Personally i would hot refuel anyday espcially in the bush. What about production jobs ie. logging? anyone ever see a machine shut off to fuel between each cycle? :lol:

Happy Flying

Guest Angry Egg Driver

The only time a passanger is allowed to be onboard the aircraft during external operations is if he/she is essential to the flight.Bird towing,forestry ops in a medium(Ontario),fisheries,ect....

Every operations manual covers the specifics as well it is defined in Cars.

And as far as putting cargo internally,if all the emergency exits aren't accesible....you better hope that you and your employer have a good lawyer because your screwed.

So whats the big deal with "hot" refueling? If an ops manual approves it, does that make it a bad thing? Personally i would hot refuel anyday espcially in the bush. What about production jobs ie. logging? anyone ever see a machine shut off to fuel between each cycle? :lol:

Happy Flying

As long as it's in your ops. manual and there is a pilot at the controls then it's not a problem. Also the guy/gal fueling must be qualified.

Max

VFA's initial comment about hot refuelling was that it was done at an airport.

Most licenced airports do not allow hot-refuelling unless certain procedures are followed, i.e. closed circuit pressure hose system, extinguisher operator on site etc.

I doubt this was the case in VFA's example.

Organisations such as the USFS also have rules like this for hot-refuelling whether it is at an airport or not.

VFA's initial comment about hot refuelling was that it was done at an airport.

Most licenced airports do not allow hot-refuelling unless certain procedures are followed, i.e. closed circuit pressure hose system, extinguisher operator on site etc.

I doubt this was the case in VFA's example.

Organisations such as the USFS also have rules like this for hot-refuelling whether it is at an airport or not.

That was exactly my point. Why hot-refuel at an airport as a regular operating procedure? This airport does not allow hot-refuelling unless the above procedures are in place. Far too many people around, not to mention other aircraft parked nearby to be doing that. And for what- I could see doing it for a medevac or in the bush for a production job when properly trained staff are assisting. But why at an airport- a busy one this time of year. Anyway, didn't mean to change topic here.

GWK, in a round about way i was trying to suggest if you had room for pax in the side facing seat, could the cargo have been put aft in the cabin to allow a forward seat available? i do agree on following rules concerning pax at emerg exits. i have reorganised the cabin to accomodate the pax(without breaking any rules), since they are the ones paying.