Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot's Families

Guest plumber
That is very true HB. The "older generation" knows how to "suck it up, stop whining, and be thankfull for what we have" I myself have travelled, worked and lived all over the world and am very well aware of just how good we have it in Canada compared to the rest of the world, including the U.S.

Sure do hear alot of whining coming from the older generation about the younger generation. :lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very true HB. The "older generation" knows how to "suck it up, stop whining, and be thankfull for what we have" I myself have travelled, worked and lived all over the world and am very well aware of just how good we have it in Canada compared to the rest of the world, including the U.S.

I have also lived and traveled all over the world, I realize how lucky I am living here in Canada. But I don’t think “how lucky we have it” was the topic of the thread.

I also realize how lucky I must be having an “old fart” older generation husband that is receptive to the needs, wants and concerns of his younger generation spouse. Just like I am to his. Not sure if I would still be married if either of us told each other to suck it up and stop whining.

Unless I misinterpreted the posts at the beginning of this thread, I would not consider “concerns” about spouses/family in the industry – “whining”. Don’t recall any whining about them being away for however long or short, just concerns spouses/families have when their loved one is not home safe with them.

I have also lived and traveled all over the world, I realize how lucky I am living here in Canada. But I don’t think “how lucky we have it” was the topic of the thread.

I also realize how lucky I must be having an “old fart” older generation husband that is receptive to the needs, wants and concerns of his younger generation spouse. Just like I am to his. Not sure if I would still be married if either of us told each other to suck it up and stop whining.

Unless I misinterpreted the posts at the beginning of this thread, I would not consider “concerns” about spouses/family in the industry – “whining”. Don’t recall any whining about them being away for however long or short, just concerns spouses/families have when their loved one is not home safe with them.

High Five M1/2Wife.

Guest Bullet Remington

M1/M2 Wife:

Not sure if your reply was directed to me or not. If not feel free to give me that "Wive Look" and disregard any further comments from me.

If otherwise, allow me to clarify a few things for you; Firstly I AM a PLANK driver and a Plank Engineer. However, I am also a Fling WIng Engineer, M1, M2 to be precise, and I have earned the majority of my living wrenching on fling wings all over butt F27k Everywhere.

I stated what I stated and how I stated AFTER my wife (again 38 years married-same woman) read the posts and started laughing. She laughed again when she read the comment about "not sure if I would still be married if either of us told each other to suck it up and stop whinning".

Now before you sharpen the meat cleaver, let me give you some back ground on US ( SHE-WHO-MUST- BE- Obeyed (SWMBO)- She hates that terminology by the way) and myself.

After close to 40 + years in this business, I have had the same area of my back broken TWICE, my neck broken once, Plevic bone and both hips are held together with stainless steel pins, as are both knees and both feet and the left arm. Have had TWO artrificiasl lenses inserted in my eyes (replacing the original damaged lenses- caused the Doctor siad by years of exposure to chemicals at work) and I have to wear hearing aids from the damage caused by the whine of jet engines-mostly and a couple of drivers partially! If I feel pain, I know I'm alive! SWMBO tells me every day to suck it up and stop whinning, somebody somewhere has it alot worst then I do (Poor Bugger!)

SWMBO is a brittle ( very hard to control) diabetic, has had two heart attacks and is suffering renal failure. She's tougher then I am, I only have to tell her to stop whinning and suck it up once every two weeks or so.

Same thing when I went out in the bush with a machine. 5 months is Northen Manitoba, No sat coverage, no trip out to the big city of Thompson and no whinning. from either of us.

She KNEW what I did before I married her. I never in all these years worried about her wants, but we always sat and talked about her and my concerns at home. Her needs I look after, she priority ONE. My needs, she looks after quite well whenever she feels well. Keeps me flat, fat and happy.

The work and the separation was never about her, nor I. It was about and for us. That and this was how I earned the money to provide her a couple of houses, heat, light and food. She knew when I was out on contract, money was comming in. when I was home, it was going out!

Did she worry about me when I was gone? Probably but she never said any thing about it. She knew it would be something else I'd have to worry about while I was in the bush. AND she also knew, given that I was working with a pilot and a helicopter, I had enough on my mind without her adding more to it and having me distracted from doing the best job I could to keep the machine serviceable, getting it through the contract and getting myself and my driver home alive.

But then again, when I was in the military she knew that I'd be and was called many times in the middle of the night to go. I never knew when I was coming home nor did she. She never once complained ( not implying that you are either) nor would she discuss things with anybody else. She knew what I did before she married me, and she knew why I did it.

And along with a bunch of other suck ups here, I'll do my own sucking up to her. Bascially, she raised my daughter alone!! After coming back from an extended 11 months assignment behind the Iron Curtain (where she didn't know where i was), I didn't even recognize my daughter when I got home.

My daughter turned out just fine (If you can call being a computer weenie fine).

Maybe i'm missing the point of the original posts here ( I have gone back and read them all, again!) OR, maybe Old Split and I are from a different generation. To me (can't and would never try and speak for Slpit0 everything was always about US. What can we do to make live better for us. It was never about My nor her wants, needs or concerns.

Basically, what I'm saying in a long winded way, is: Stop worrying, get on with your life and the kids life, you'll be fine, the kids will be fine andhe'll be back. After a week he'll be getting under your feet and in your way! You can do just fine with out him around all the time. PLUS, with hinm going away that often, every trip home is like a new Honeymoon. The only other way yáll get to ...AHEM "Play checkers" that often would be to fight, then you'd have an excuse to make up! It's easier with him going out on contract!!

But HEY, What the heck do I know?? I'm just a man! An old man too. Having stated that, just because I'm getting old doesn't mean I'm growing up!!

I always kinda smirk when I read about just how "hard"pilots and their families have it!! I suppose, if people don'ty know much about other occupations, theirs is alawys the hardest, most dangerous, most demanding ( insert your own description here).

The fact is folks, we have it good! try trading places with the folks in the military and getting by with what they get paid, then come back and tell me again how hard it is on you and your families. I said before and I'll say it again, We HAVE IT EASY!! 30 day, 60 day rotations, - they're diddly squat!!!

Try 6 month, 1 year and 2 year rotations, with six months off (MAYBE) in between. Then throw in the likely hood of comming home in a body bag.

We HAVE IT EASY!! I know because like many on this site, I've worked in both arenas. And quite frankly, the aviation sector is easy!

Get over it, it part and parcel of the business and we get paid very, very well for what we do!!

And just for the record, i've been married to the same lady for 35 + years and we've raised two kids! HSe thinks y';all are spoiled rotten!! No doubt the wives and kids dislike the separations from dad/mom during the tours. But it is a fact of life, if you're in this business.

We have it good, if they don't see that, Boo hoo!!

The post was NEVER about how hard spouses have it. It was about how spouses deal with the concerns of their loved ones being away and not safe at home. Somehow I feel as though I am repeating myself :mellow:

rtrmvr was looking for advice. In saying that when one seeks advice all sorts of advice is given in return.

Thank your wife for her advice. Im spoilt rotten and know it.

Now onto your last post -

M1/M2 Wife:

Not sure if your reply was directed to me or not. If not feel free to give me that "Wive Look" and disregard any further comments from me.

It wasn’t. It was directed to the other “old fart” sp :P . But I won’t disregard all of your comments

If otherwise, allow me to clarify a few things for you; Firstly I AM a PLANK driver and a Plank Engineer. However, I am also a Fling WIng Engineer, M1, M2 to be precise, and I have earned the majority of my living wrenching on fling wings all over butt F27k Everywhere.

I stated what I stated and how I stated AFTER my wife (again 38 years married-same woman) read the posts and started laughing. She laughed again when she read the comment about "not sure if I would still be married if either of us told each other to suck it up and stop whinning".

I laugh at a lot of the posts as well, this one included :lol:

Now before you sharpen the meat cleaver, let me give you some back ground on US ( SHE-WHO-MUST- BE- Obeyed (SWMBO)- She hates that terminology by the way) and myself.

Me too - now where's that meat cleaver.

After close to 40 + years in this business, I have had the same area of my back broken TWICE, my neck broken once, Plevic bone and both hips are held together with stainless steel pins, as are both knees and both feet and the left arm. Have had TWO artrificiasl lenses inserted in my eyes (replacing the original damaged lenses- caused the Doctor siad by years of exposure to chemicals at work) and I have to wear hearing aids from the damage caused by the whine of jet engines-mostly and a couple of drivers partially! If I feel pain, I know I'm alive! SWMBO tells me every day to suck it up and stop whinning, somebody somewhere has it alot worst then I do (Poor Bugger!).

I disagree somewhat with the last sentence, that someone somewhere couldn’t possibly still be breathing.

SWMBO is a brittle ( very hard to control) diabetic, has had two heart attacks and is suffering renal failure. She's tougher then I am, I only have to tell her to stop whinning and suck it up once every two weeks or so.

Sorry to hear of your wife’s ails and I’m glad she’s a trooper thru it all. She must be a very strong woman and I hope she is well more than she isn’t. :wub:

Same thing when I went out in the bush with a machine. 5 months is Northen Manitoba, No sat coverage, no trip out to the big city of Thompson and no whinning. from either of us.

She KNEW what I did before I married her. I never in all these years worried about her wants, but we always sat and talked about her and my concerns at home. Her needs I look after, she priority ONE. My needs, she looks after quite well whenever she feels well. Keeps me flat, fat and happy.

I also knew what my spouse did prior to getting married this is in an earlier post of mine somewhere in the 10 pages

The work and the separation was never about her, nor I. It was about and for us. That and this was how I earned the money to provide her a couple of houses, heat, light and food. She knew when I was out on contract, money was comming in. when I was home, it was going out!

Same here.

Did she worry about me when I was gone? Probably but she never said any thing about it. She knew it would be something else I'd have to worry about while I was in the bush. AND she also knew, given that I was working with a pilot and a helicopter, I had enough on my mind without her adding more to it and having me distracted from doing the best job I could to keep the machine serviceable, getting it through the contract and getting myself and my driver home alive. Same here

But then again, when I was in the military she knew that I'd be and was called many times in the middle of the night to go. I never knew when I was coming home nor did she. She never once complained ( not implying that you are either) nor would she discuss things with anybody else. She knew what I did before she married me, and she knew why I did it.

The difference here is that there are spouses who do want to discuss other spouses concerns, hence the thread being started. I don't see anything wrong with that - but maybe it is this young vs old thing. Good for your wife dealing with it herself again that shows her strength. Some may not be so strong, I happen to be a very strong, independant, open minded, pig headed at times... woman. I gave my initial advice on page one to rtrmvr concerns on how I deal with my spouse being away which is what rtrmvr asked for. Nothing more nothing less.

And along with a bunch of other suck ups here, I'll do my own sucking up to her. Bascially, she raised my daughter alone!! After coming back from an extended 11 months assignment behind the Iron Curtain (where she didn't know where i was), I didn't even recognize my daughter when I got home.

My daughter turned out just fine (If you can call being a computer weenie fine).

Maybe i'm missing the point of the original posts here ( I have gone back and read them all, again!) OR, maybe Old Split and I are from a different generation. To me (can't and would never try and speak for Slpit0 everything was always about US. What can we do to make live better for us. It was never about My nor her wants, needs or concerns.

Basically, what I'm saying in a long winded way, is: Stop worrying, get on with your life and the kids life, you'll be fine, the kids will be fine andhe'll be back. After a week he'll be getting under your feet and in your way! You can do just fine with out him around all the time. PLUS, with hinm going away that often, every trip home is like a new Honeymoon. The only other way yáll get to ...AHEM "Play checkers" that often would be to fight, then you'd have an excuse to make up! It's easier with him going out on contract!!

Thanks for this advice. This is all that really was asked for when rtrmvr initiated the post. Looks like we might be back on topic here now. :D

But HEY, What the heck do I know?? I'm just a man! An old man too. Having stated that, just because I'm getting old doesn't mean I'm growing up.

Most men never do, mine included, and I like that.

quote name=['M1/2Wife' date=May 5 2009, 10:41 AM' post='113373]

It wasn’t. It was directed to the other “old fart” sp :P . But I won’t disregard all of your comments

My Dear M1/M2 Wife, please note!! :D:D:P

post-907-1241552846_thumb.jpg

After close to 40 + years in this business, I have had the same area of my back broken TWICE, my neck broken once, Plevic bone and both hips are held together with stainless steel pins, as are both knees and both feet and the left arm. Have had TWO artrificiasl lenses inserted in my eyes (replacing the original damaged lenses- caused the Doctor siad by years of exposure to chemicals at work) and I have to wear hearing aids from the damage caused by the whine of jet engines-mostly and a couple of drivers partially! If I feel pain, I know I'm alive! SWMBO tells me every day to suck it up and stop whinning, somebody somewhere has it alot worst then I do (Poor Bugger!)

Sounds to me BR that you both need a trip to the hangar for an indepth 3000hr. inspection and some structural repair. :D:D