Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot's Families

Now, do you have any advice? Please be honest. I have been fed stats like, "You can expect to be on a month on month off schedule". How do you find the schedules? Note that I am a flight virgin.

How do you bend your minds around the cost of tuition (especially in this social climate)? We have already saved the tuition. What can I expect?

Any advice will be helpful. I have been researching these various subjects endlessly and have found it difficult to find truthful/objective answers.

Thank you so much. I hope you all have a great summer.

Cheers,

Cool Hand Luke

Hi Luke,

My advice. Stay a Nurse. Not going to listen to that are you?

So here's the rest.

1. The tuition even though is seems like a rude amount is not that much more than you would pay in University tuition to get many types of degree. In a way its less because you are potentially out of the workplace for a shorter time.

2. It will most likely be quite awhile before you get any sort of equal time tours. Like years. Some people never achieve it. Expect something more along the line of 6 weeks on and 1 to 2 off in the summer. Alot more in the winter of course which is how it balances out in the long run.

3. Most operators will gear their pay scale to be on only when you are in the field. Don't expect to get paid much when you are at home. After 35 years I get paid lots when I'm at work and zero when I'm at home.

4. You don't build hours (which is the point of everything for the first few years.) when you are not at work.

5. Make absolutely sure your wife understands what life will be like with you gone a lot of the time. Kids? Lotsa work by your self. Get her to talk to some partners of pilots to get a feel for it.

6. Be prepared to relocate for jobs for the first few years. After awhile you will be valuable enough that operators will pay to fly you back and forth to work.

7. Follow your dream. Life's too short to wonder "what if?????"

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have to honor my wife.

When we meet I was already flying, and she was willing to accept that I would be away for long periods during our marriage. But she made a big sacrifice because a week after we got married she quit her job, moved to Canada and then I left for work the next day. Leaving her in a new country with no friends and a new job, and not once did she complain. (She does use it against me every now and then when I p*** her off!! But that fairs! :P )

Thanks for being an understanding wife.

As this is my second marriage, she was introduced to helicopters only about 7 years ago.....she still does not know what to make of the industry. Thankfully, she is very patient and understanding.

All of my family has been very supportive of my career, for that I am very grateful....especially my son....that has provided me with the next generation of our family....a granddaughter.

I have always felt like the richest man in the world.....not on a monetary basis, but for having family and friends, that have always managed to understand my passion for flying.

So to all you supporting family members out there.......thanks.

The ride of life has been awesome.

Bob

Relax Splitpin, I know you are charging towards the REPLY button........it was a joke !!!

We really do love you guys, sometimes we just forget to express it.

(My Gawd......that does sound familiar doesn't it ???)

Point taken O-T :D:D But just a gentle reminder......Nothing, I repeat, Nothing.....would happen in our industry if it wasn't for the Engineers.

I also have a News-Flash for the origonator of this thread (rtrmvr)....Contrary to popular opinion, the world does not revolve around Pilots. Pilots hours and duty days are restricted by Federally mandated regulations. I had 3 Pilots during one of my tours last year on the same machine!! No such luck for Engineers. We generaly spend considerably more time in the field away from our familys than Pilots. We work till we drop if required in all kinds of weather and usually in the dark with the bugs while the Super-Pilot is sitting in the bar singing his praises to the awed Ladies. There is the odd exception to that, Mike Bel...of the yellow company comes to mind. (Thanks Mike) We are a lot like wine grapes...sqeeze every drop of juice out and throw away the skin.

So, bottom line is, I'm getting very tired of hearing about Pilots and their (real or imagined)problems. As far as I have seen in 50 years in this racket they have it pretty good.

There we go Folks, Rant is over, Carry On!! :P:P

Guest Angry Egg Driver
Point taken O-T :D:D But just a gentle reminder......Nothing, I repeat, Nothing.....would happen in our industry if it wasn't for the Engineers.

I also have a News-Flash for the origonator of this thread (rtrmvr)....Contrary to popular opinion, the world does not revolve around Pilots. Pilots hours and duty days are restricted by Federally mandated regulations. I had 3 Pilots during one of my tours last year on the same machine!! No such luck for Engineers. We generaly spend considerably more time in the field away from our familys than Pilots. We work till we drop if required in all kinds of weather and usually in the dark with the bugs while the Super-Pilot is sitting in the bar singing his praises to the awed Ladies. There is the odd exception to that, Mike Bel...of the yellow company comes to mind. (Thanks Mike) We are a lot like wine grapes...sqeeze every drop of juice out and throw away the skin.

So, bottom line is, I'm getting very tired of hearing about Pilots and their (real or imagined)problems. As far as I have seen in 50 years in this racket they have it pretty good.

There we go Folks, Rant is over, Carry On!! :P:P

I wouldnt be worried about squeezing every last drop of juice out of the grape...you should be worried about getting the last drop of wine out of the bottle...looks like you need it.

I'm sorry but i'm not feeling the sympathy for ya Splitpin.Your right we couldnt do it without the engineers,we couldnt do it without the owners,the owners couldnt do it without the customers...cry me a river.

Deuce,

You are right mate!! I have the fever for flying, I would rather fail than have been the one that never tried at all. Thank you for the advice. As funny as it sounds, the tuition is the easy part, which I guess is no surprise. I will always have nursing to feed the keep the family happy. It seems in aviation, like science, it is often a cruel mistress. I am fine with not getting paid at home as I have an alternate income....thank God for that!

I have no real problem with relocating but of course it all depends on the destination!! I need to keep my wife (and kids in the future) happy. I really admire and respect the dedication all you guys have. The passion is legendary.

Once again I really do appreciate the support and feedback. My wife has a good sense of what to expect.

Cheers for now and I hope you have a enjoyable (and prosperous) summer.

Ciao,

Lucky Luke :hide:

Hi Luke,

My advice. Stay a Nurse. Not going to listen to that are you?

So here's the rest.

1. The tuition even though is seems like a rude amount is not that much more than you would pay in University tuition to get many types of degree. In a way its less because you are potentially out of the workplace for a shorter time.

2. It will most likely be quite awhile before you get any sort of equal time tours. Like years. Some people never achieve it. Expect something more along the line of 6 weeks on and 1 to 2 off in the summer. Alot more in the winter of course which is how it balances out in the long run.

3. Most operators will gear their pay scale to be on only when you are in the field. Don't expect to get paid much when you are at home. After 35 years I get paid lots when I'm at work and zero when I'm at home.

4. You don't build hours (which is the point of everything for the first few years.) when you are not at work.

5. Make absolutely sure your wife understands what life will be like with you gone a lot of the time. Kids? Lotsa work by your self. Get her to talk to some partners of pilots to get a feel for it.

6. Be prepared to relocate for jobs for the first few years. After awhile you will be valuable enough that operators will pay to fly you back and forth to work.

7. Follow your dream. Life's too short to wonder "what if?????"