Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Garmin 196 and it has worked great for 5 years with no problems. It is great to have a personal gps for back up. I have climbed into a company machine in the middle of nowhere just to find out the GPS is having signal problems and the machine has just enough fuel to reach the next camp. I can tell you the personal GPS paid for itself in that flight alone never mind all the other times it has helped me out. I would buy color though next time for sure.

• 1 month later...
Have to agree,

The 296 is awesome especially when you have the unlocked maps. The price is coming down now too.. I got mine for 2300 a few years ago.

Hi Wildman,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what unlocked maps are, and where you get them

Thanks

HELI CANADA 2005

HC 2005

Garmin provides maps via their Mapsource software. They can be purchased via the Garmin website and uploaded into your GPS then you receive an unlock code tied to your GPS s/n. I have the NA road maps for a Garmin 96C. You load them on your PC, decide where you want to go and unlock the maps for that particular area and only load those onto your GPS instead of the entire continent. I haven't tried their topoo or marine ones but the road ones are pretty good - at least they can tell me where I am after I missed the huge road signs. Almost as efficient as having a spouse in the other seat :P