Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flightpath

Mien Gotten!! I can't believe how easy that was!! AED, you not only took the bait, you swallowed the lure, swallowed the line, and yanked the rod out of my hands!!

You have just been shafted by an "Old Engineer" Was it as good for you as it was for me?? :up: :up:

Oh, By the way.... ENGINEERS ROCK!!! and the world revolves around us!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only speak for myself 'Angry Egg Driver' but I resemble those remarks of yours and am very proud to have to be 'baby-sat'. I consider that one of the unwritten 'wussy-duties' of any newbie.........is to make sure that the 'ol fart's glass....er, I mean cup.....is never empty. This is not done for free you understand because 'ol fart's didn't work for nothing either 'back in the day', no matter what you bloody-well heard to the contrary. :lol::P Sooooooo there!!.

Thanks Cap. Actually, I consider it part of my job description to "baby-sit" Pilots. Not in the literal sense of the word, but more the "care and feeding" of Pilots.

We learn very quickly to be able to detect the difference between a Pilots perceived skills and his actual skills and the subtle art of making him safer.

An astute Engineer will make sure his Pilot has a meal put away for him if he is late back to camp. Make sure he has a good room when we arrive at a fire camp and he has to go flying right away. Make sure he has a coffee waiting when he lands. Keep him involved with whats going on with the machines maintenance. Remind him that the above statements are a two way street and life will be good for him if he plays his cards right. Always let him have the pretty ones, most young guys have not figured out that your "score" rate increases substantially the "less pretty" they are.

Watch his actions when he has a few drinks into him, peoples true personality always comes out after a few stiff ones.

We accept the fact that a small minority of Pilots think the world should bow and scrape to them because they think they are a Godlike figure. Those are the ones I enjoy working with. They soon learn the errors of their ways when there is no food waiting, no coffee, no smokes, and minimal "as required only" cooperation.

I've been in this racket a long time and I could count on one hand the the Pilots that were unsalvagable.

There is a huge amount of great pilots out there (are you listening Helifarmer, Herr Elbe, M.B, John-John, Mr. Bell? you are a few of them) that I have the utmost respect for professionally and personally.

These guys have figured out that they are not God, the sun does not rise and fall on them, most people don't give a rats arse that they fly for a living, they don't take themselve to seriously and it can all be over in a heartbeat, as my good buddy Matt Davis found out. Bless his Heart.

Thanks Cap. Actually, I consider it part of my job description to "baby-sit" Pilots. Not in the literal sense of the word, but more the "care and feeding" of Pilots.

We learn very quickly to be able to detect the difference between a Pilots perceived skills and his actual skills and the subtle art of making him safer.

An astute Engineer will make sure his Pilot has a meal put away for him if he is late back to camp. Make sure he has a good room when we arrive at a fire camp and he has to go flying right away. Make sure he has a coffee waiting when he lands. Keep him involved with whats going on with the machines maintenance. Remind him that the above statements are a two way street and life will be good for him if he plays his cards right. Always let him have the pretty ones, most young guys have not figured out that your "score" rate increases substantially the "less pretty" they are.

Watch his actions when he has a few drinks into him, peoples true personality always comes out after a few stiff ones.

We accept the fact that a small minority of Pilots think the world should bow and scrape to them because they think they are a Godlike figure. Those are the ones I enjoy working with. They soon learn the errors of their ways when there is no food waiting, no coffee, no smokes, and minimal "as required only" cooperation.

I've been in this racket a long time and I could count on one hand the the Pilots that were unsalvagable.

There is a huge amount of great pilots out there (are you listening Helifarmer, Herr Elbe, M.B, John-John, Mr. Bell? you are a few of them) that I have the utmost respect for professionally and personally.

These guys have figured out that they are not God, the sun does not rise and fall on them, most people don't give a rats arse that they fly for a living, they don't take themselve to seriously and it can all be over in a heartbeat, as my good buddy Matt Davis found out. Bless his Heart.

Sorry again for your loss, Splitpin. R.I.P. Matt Davis.

So... from what you're describing, basically an engineer is a pilots good wife?

In my family there was always a great respect paid to those that packed a wrench (my grandfather was an engineer - Regina Flying Club, 1930 - 40's) and I've had the great pleasure to work in an environment where everyone worked and played nice together. I've also worked around places where the cultural difference was so thick you could cut it with a knife ...

I learned a long time ago that the simple act of cleaning up your machine after a long day on a fire or sticking around late to hold the flashlight can win the heart and mind of even the most hardened wrench.

So... from what you're describing, basically an engineer is a pilots good wife?

Pretty much. As well as a sounding board, confidant, drinking buddy, dining buddy. We also know each others family's intimately although we have probably never met them. And relationships usually develop into lifelong friendships. What usualy happens in the field is the Pilot and Engineer get very protective of each other. For example, if you screw my Pilot around, you are screwing me around, and that is not a clever move on your part!!

In my family there was always a great respect paid to those that packed a wrench (my grandfather was an engineer - Regina Flying Club, 1930 - 40's) and I've had the great pleasure to work in an environment where everyone worked and played nice together. I've also worked around places where the cultural difference was so thick you could cut it with a knife ...

I learned a long time ago that the simple act of cleaning up your machine after a long day on a fire or sticking around late to hold the flashlight can win the heart and mind of even the most hardened wrench.

Sounds to me coastdog that you are one of the "Good Ones" I was talking about. Keep it up Bud and Thank-You!!

• 4 weeks later...
Having been baby-sat by splitty, I'll tell you that there's none better.****, he was doing it when I was in daipers... what are you up to buddy?

Sorry Buddy, I can't place you. You've probably told me your handle but I think the "aluminum pots" are catching up on me. :D

I'm having a ball actually. Decided to hang up the tools after Matty bought it in the S-92. Just can't take the pain of losing any more friends, but I'm sure there will be many more to go.

Have a little sideline going fixing boats. Lots of work around Powell River and my hourly rate is better that the rate I was getting wrenching mediums. Go figure!! Home every night, off every weekend. If it's raining or cold I just stay home!! No paperwork, no cranky boss (except me), no T.C. Life is good!! :up: :up:

PM me if you wish 45PSI.