Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Distance Education

FNG13

Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old who is very commited to making the right choices for a career in flying. The school I'm planning to attend is a part 61 and I need to be able to get some financial assistance, also I would like to have as broad a knowledge base in aviation as possible to be marketable. I am new to the aviation world and I would like to totally immerse myself. On the other hand, both programs that I am aware of are out of state so the cost would be more than getting an unrelated degree from a local (Lake Tahoe, Ca.) school.

-Has anyone out there gotten a degree from these online programs and was it a good experience?

-How did financing work out and did you have a good chunk left over for flight training after tuition?

-What is the view in the industry of these schools (Embry Riddle and Utah Valley University) and what kind of benefits will a degree from one have versus the other in the job market?

-Are there similar programs out there that you would recommend?

I hope this is not too specific as this is my first post, I've been a lurker for a while. I really appreciate anyone sharing their experience.