Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Line Training ?

RonnyRotor

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read this thread, images of the (former) helicopter I saw in the hangar at TC come to mind. The one from the crash last year in Terrace. To see where Mike sat. And hear details about everything he had experienced inside those moments.... leaves me silent.

R.I.P. Mike Haworth.

*Fly safe*

HB

________

Pilot in Terrace helicopter crash dies from injuries

Larry Pynn, Vancouver Sun

Published: Friday, August 15, 2008

The 53-year-old pilot of a Quantum Helicopters Ltd. Bell 206L Longranger aircraft that crashed near Terrace had 15,000 hours of flying time over 25 years and was well qualified for the mining-related work he was performing, a company official said Friday.

"He was passionate about his flying and he was very good at it," Quantum president Ian Swan said of Mike Haworth, the company's co-owner and chief pilot who died Thursday of injuries suffered in the Wednesday crash.

"He was among our group of preferred pilots, most requested pilots. That speaks for itself. We've been inundated with calls from all over the place. He was very well known, a highly respected and highly skilled pilot."

Swan said in an interview he and the Alberta-born Haworth met about 18 years ago when they worked together as pilots at Northern Mountain Helicopters, based in Prince George. Swan and Haworth formed Quantum in Terrace in 1998, about the time Northern Mountain was getting into financial troubles and later ceased operations.

"We needed a job, so here we are," Swan said. He described Haworth as a top spray pilot with Northern Mountain, later involved in a variety of charter work with Quantum, including forestry and mining operations.

Haworth, married with two children, had been flying diamond drills on a long line as part of a mineral exploration when the helicopter crashed about 45 km northeast of Terrace.

"It's what we specialize in," Swan said of mining contracts. "We have a team of highly skilled pilots, Mike being one of them."

Bill Yearwood, regional manager of the federal transportation safety board, said Haworth experienced problems while landing the drill and apparently moved away from the landing site. The load then settled into the trees close by, and the helicopter crashed over a hillside into a rock face and was left dangling from the long line.

The investigation is centred on a helicopter malfunction, Yearwood said. "This is common work for helicopters," he added. "But the terrain they operate in is unforgiving."

Haworth is the 11th person to die in four air crashes -- two of them helicopters -- in B.C. this month. The safety board reports that this year to Aug. 15 there have been 29 air crashes in B.C., compared with 35 during the same period in 2007, and 49 in 2006.

WorkSafeBC accepted 55 disability or fatality claims related to aircraft accidents in 2007, 42 in 2006, 46 in 2005, 29 in 2004, and 28 in 2003, totalling $13.7 million.

Swan said he knows of Haworth being involved in only one prior relatively minor accident, about a decade ago in the Terrace area, when the snow crust on which he was landing broke through and the helicopter fell to the side.

He described the Bell 206 series of helicopters as "a very reliable aircraft, and that's primarily why we operate them." Of the company's fleet of 12 Bell helicopters, six are 206 models, including the one that crashed, which had been with the company since 2005.

lpynn@vancouversun.com

RR, Either your drunk or stoned, or if your even being serious, I d guess the latter. God there are some SH__HEADS on this forum... I dont think there is a single time I fly that I dont find myself thinking of something my instuctor or seasoned Vet friends have taught me... LL training is a no brainer.. So it may cost a bit, Whats your life worth or better yet the guys and gals that are recieving the gear...

MH

offcorse I ve only been doing it for ten years so I could be way off... ;)

Rotor Ronny,

Most pilots agree that you can't teach someone how to FLY a helicopter in 100 hours, because that will take thousands of hours.......so instructors are really just teaching us the basics and how to go out and LEARN safely.

It's also true that you can't teach someone how to be a hot long-liner.......but you can teach someone how to LEARN how to long-line much quicker than by "just going out there".

Here is a great forum topic all about it from this time last year.

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/index.ph...c=10304&hl=

p.s please quit with the comments about "idiots". Those labels aren't welcome amongst such a small brotherhood as ours. Tx.

alright, being a recent graduate of franklin covey training, let's see if we can turn this into a win-win...

what was the best tip someone gave you for long lining.. such as leaning out so that you see the line just beyond the tip of the skid... keeping the load centered near the ground.. remember the pendulum...

let 'er rip and show RR you can learn from each other!! :up: