Hepac In Jeopardy

Not to dismiss the efforts put forward by those involved with trying to get HEPAC thru translation as I do appreciate some of what was being sought after; however there is already an established organization for AME's in Canada, thru CFAMEA (Canadian Federation of AME Associations) to the various associations accross the country. I have been a member of WAMEA (Western AME Association) for many years, and we are faced with many of the same challenges of getting people off the sidelines and involved with the Association. A few good people volunteer a lot of their time in addition to very busy aviation careers, and things are happening, although somwhat slowly due to similar circumstances to HEPAC. Without trying to offend anyone, perhaps it may be well for more AME's (especially Helicopter AME's) to get involved with the AME Association in the area of your residency, and utilize the exposure, experience, and contacts already established. The Helicopter AME presence is growing(at least in WAMEA), and being received quite well.

As for the Pilots, I'm not aware of an association outside of COPA, which I don't think serves the interests of Helicopter Pilots, but I could be mistaken.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that it didn't work out or isn't working out for HEPAC but from the very beginning I had a difficult time getting info on or about them. Every time I asked questions about who and what they were on these open forums I was hammered on by certain individuals, seemed like they weren't open to answering questions and got very defensive. A very weird approach for an organization to take when first starting out and looking to attract people.

Just my personal experience.

Give me a break! When the topic of foreign hires came up you could hear a scotsman tipping.

Look at the board of directors they work all over the world. They could give a rats a55 about keeping Canadians working in Canada if thats where we chose to stay.

Its Global they say! Thanks for the memories HEPAC. ;)

When HEPAC started and asked for money, I sent mine in with hope that it would succeed. It wasn’t a concern of mine what their platform was, what they should or shouldn’t tackle, or who they should or shouldn’t help.

The fact is, that “someone” needs to do something.

BUT, they don’t need to do it for me.

• I am not threatened by a foreign pilot no matter how cheap he will or won’t work.
  • I do not need a mentoring program to help get me hired, or to help me build hours to meet whatever requirements the customer puts on my employer.
  • I don’t need anyone to pressure any employer to hire me before going outside the country.

BUT, some do. For the couple of 100 hour wonders we hired last year, they need all the above.

For the apprentice engineers we have hired, they could use the help as well.

So why do I support HEPAC when they can do nothing for me? Because someone has to. Most pilots and engineers will p**s more money than the entrance fee against the wall in the bar in a couple of weekends so the money can’t be the issue.

So because HEPAC didn’t say they would fix things for ME, I’m not getting involved? Who cares about those that come after? And THAT is what it is about.

Many are involved in sports for their children that involve far more costs and far more time commitment from BOTH parents than HEPAC ever asked for.

They asked for $65 dollars (I think, even if it was/is more, so what) and some support.

Have I stepped up to grab a director position? No, I haven’t. But not because I don’t believe in them.

Like many, I fly full time, I serve as Safety Officer for Yellowhead Helicopters Ltd, do ops support, fix ops gear, do base inspections etc etc., just like everyone else, and I sit on the HAC Safety Committee.

So rightly or wrongly, I don’t have the time I feel would be required to do the job at HEPAC.

But I still support them, and would send then money again to support the cause, even though I would not gain any benefit from it.

In my 37 years + in this industry, it has treated me well. So how do I pay it back? What can I do for what I have benefit I have derived over the years.

• I can’t hire a 100 hour wonder and give him/her a job.
  • I can’t hire an apprentice
  • I can’t get more hours for the newbies
  • I can’t get them preference over a foreign hour

But I CAN support those who are trying to do so. And about the only way I can do it, is to give money.

Is that right? Is that the correct way to do it? Unfortunately, I’m not sure, but at the present time it’s all I can do, so I do. If it is a few years of support without a lot of direction for a bit, so what? What organization has started with all its ducks in a row right from the start?

So take a shot if you like. I will not debate or defend this. These are my feelings and my opinions, and probably worth the paper it isn’t written on. We can choose to support or not to support, and that is what it comes down to.

But DON'T make it about what HEPAC didn’t do for you. Because it is not about you. It’s about all that follow those of us who have already “made it.”

"Skids Up"

Keith Westfall

Yellowhead Helicopters Ltd

Skidz Up

One of the most articulate and well written posts of the entire forum!!! Ever!! :up:

You hit the nail on the head!!! The world is changing, and crew in the future will need some representation. It must be said that the guys and gals that started hepac where not thinking about themselves. Too bad this me first mentality and general lack of foresite predominates. Seems a little contradictory when we all go about extolling what great characters and wonderfull personalities there are in the industry!!

Buck up boys and remove your head from your own asss for just a few seconds, and perhaps the industry will be better off in the future.

With love!

Happy feet!!!

Support HEPAC dammit!!!

Yup there we go Hepac wants to mentor low time pilots Heck they can't even get their foot in the door.Support your Canadian guys why give work permits when if the companies trained more hanger rats rather than pick up work permit guys you might not need so many permits.Speaking for myself I have gotten 2 pilots into this industry and I hold no titles or positions of influence other than pointing them in the right direction at the right time(How is that for mentoring).I made sure that they got in the front door and saw the right peaple.One guy in 6 years is over 5000 hrs and the other in 4 years is around 2000 hrs.What I am trying to say is every Pilot out there should keep their eyes open for the good guys and help them out.

Help your Canadian hanger rats get flying thats all I ask.Remember somebody helped you in now return the favour.

Freddie 19 years in 18 more to go :rolleyes::D:D

Yup there we go Hepac wants to mentor low time pilots Heck they can't even get their foot in the door.Support your Canadian guys why give work permits when if the companies trained more hanger rats rather than pick up work permit guys you might not need so many permits.Speaking for myself I have gotten 2 pilots into this industry and I hold no titles or positions of influence other than pointing them in the right direction at the right time(How is that for mentoring).I made sure that they got in the front door and saw the right peaple.One guy in 6 years is over 5000 hrs and the other in 4 years is around 2000 hrs.What I am trying to say is every Pilot out there should keep their eyes open for the good guys and help them out.

Help your Canadian hanger rats get flying thats all I ask.Remember somebody helped you in now return the favour.

Freddie 19 years in 18 more to go :rolleyes::D:D

Well gee whiz Freddie.....seeing that you are so successful with no title or position, think of how you could make an impact by stepping up to the plate.

With someone like you at the helm of any association, I am certain it would excel. :rolleyes:

Anyways....all kidding aside. I think most here never really grasped the concept of what HEPAC is trying to accomplish.

The very basic concept of HEPAC was for representation......why is that important? Well how else can one get government funding on any level, for training, upgrading and work placement.

The money that HEPAC was (and still is), working on obtaining, was for mentorship programs. Things like, mountain and vertical reference training, endorsements (yes apprentices for example, could be sent on type training with the manufacturers).

Are there any other associations working in that direction?

It was/is, meant for "CANADIAN" flight crews, at almost any level of hours and experience.

There is a lot of operators that also realize they would benefit from the program.

When I read Keiths post, it gives me hope that there are a lot out there with the same mentality.....not just the ,"whats in it for me", or the "give me instant gratification crowd" that is the most vocal here.

If anyone here can come up with a better approach to achieve funding....please feel free to give suggestions.

It is frustrating that so many other trades and industries manage to obtain help with funding....why should our industry be exempt?

Fire away.

Bob Kellie

When HEPAC started and asked for money, I sent mine in with hope that it would succeed. It wasn’t a concern of mine what their platform was, what they should or shouldn’t tackle, or who they should or shouldn’t help.

The fact is, that “someone” needs to do something.

BUT, they don’t need to do it for me.

• I am not threatened by a foreign pilot no matter how cheap he will or won’t work.
  • I do not need a mentoring program to help get me hired, or to help me build hours to meet whatever requirements the customer puts on my employer.
  • I don’t need anyone to pressure any employer to hire me before going outside the country.

BUT, some do. For the couple of 100 hour wonders we hired last year, they need all the above.

For the apprentice engineers we have hired, they could use the help as well.

So why do I support HEPAC when they can do nothing for me? Because someone has to. Most pilots and engineers will p**s more money than the entrance fee against the wall in the bar in a couple of weekends so the money can’t be the issue.

So because HEPAC didn’t say they would fix things for ME, I’m not getting involved? Who cares about those that come after? And THAT is what it is about.

Many are involved in sports for their children that involve far more costs and far more time commitment from BOTH parents than HEPAC ever asked for.

They asked for $65 dollars (I think, even if it was/is more, so what) and some support.

Have I stepped up to grab a director position? No, I haven’t. But not because I don’t believe in them.

Like many, I fly full time, I serve as Safety Officer for Yellowhead Helicopters Ltd, do ops support, fix ops gear, do base inspections etc etc., just like everyone else, and I sit on the HAC Safety Committee.

So rightly or wrongly, I don’t have the time I feel would be required to do the job at HEPAC.

But I still support them, and would send then money again to support the cause, even though I would not gain any benefit from it.

In my 37 years + in this industry, it has treated me well. So how do I pay it back? What can I do for what I have benefit I have derived over the years.

• I can’t hire a 100 hour wonder and give him/her a job.
  • I can’t hire an apprentice
  • I can’t get more hours for the newbies
  • I can’t get them preference over a foreign hour

But I CAN support those who are trying to do so. And about the only way I can do it, is to give money.

Is that right? Is that the correct way to do it? Unfortunately, I’m not sure, but at the present time it’s all I can do, so I do. If it is a few years of support without a lot of direction for a bit, so what? What organization has started with all its ducks in a row right from the start?

So take a shot if you like. I will not debate or defend this. These are my feelings and my opinions, and probably worth the paper it isn’t written on. We can choose to support or not to support, and that is what it comes down to.

But DON'T make it about what HEPAC didn’t do for you. Because it is not about you. It’s about all that follow those of us who have already “made it.”

"Skids Up"

Keith Westfall

Yellowhead Helicopters Ltd

damm well said!......... :up:

Good luck trying to get any group as diverse as pilots and engineers to agree on anything but the broadest of topics. Throw in the owners and a perfect recipe for disaster. we all take ourselves too seriously. Tale a look at all the aviation mags as an example. When was the last time you read any thing the least bit humourous in any of them? Including this one! We all run around with our nickers in a knot when we are really machinery operators and mechanics. Chew on that for a while.