Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jetranger Slope And Wind Limits

NINE degrees on low skid gear and SIX degrees on high skid gear. Then you understand why mountain a/c have low skid gear. Can you operate in the mountains with high skid gear? Sure you can and you can also operate with low skid gear in tall bush areas, but BE VERY CAREFUL.

With all Bell a/c park them with their right sides INTO the wind. Why? Because as the M/R blades rotate, they will come into the wind as they approach the tail-boom and the wind will ensure that it lifts the blade(s) nicely over the tail-boom. Great on landing or shut-down also. Can't arrange it like that? Then go for a 'cuppa Joe'.......too windy to fly anyway.

Bell Flight Manuals? Don't make me laugh. It's like putting together your kids big toy late on Xmas Eve, you speak English only, the directions are in French only and you've just discovered two important screws and one small part are missing.

Cap,

I've been out of the Vertical loop for awhile- have been flying our L-4 with high gear as it came to us (we did order it with the aircraft). It sucks in the snow. Not too good in the rocks either. I'd forgotten how unstable it feels- (30 years on low gear here in the mountains) I ordered a set of low this afternoon- This should make things better (except the $20,000. bill) Maybe high gear is good in the swamps and buck brush.

High altitude tailrotor is nice also, once you get the feel of needing logger feet and get used to all the weird noises after turning on the master switch.

B.M.

Black Mike...........Ahhhhh, you'll get used to it. Having stated what I did, I can also say that I operated a good many hours on low skid gear out in 'brush country' and did that on small and large machines.....saying nothing about doing the same on floats.....with and without metal pads on their bottoms. It can be done without incident or causing damage, but you become absolutey 'expert' at how close your belly is to those 'punji stakes' below you and making sure your 'tail-feathers' are high in the air. I've also done the high skid gear in the 'rock pile' and that can be done also without incident. Having said all of the foregoing, I can also state that I **** well know which configuration I want in both enviroments and give some REAL good reasons why that aren't found in any Flight Manual. I can do that using some colourful language also, if the need arises :lol: .

• 4 weeks later...

When you talk about an off level landings you also must think about weight and balance as this may affect cyclic travel.

The limit is in your right hand, this is why and off level should always be an experiment, keeping the option to change your mind if required. :unsure::unsure:

Rob

Happy dude,

The IGA torque limit is fully dependant on what you are up to, leavin the airport for a 2 hour flight before landing or sittin at the bottem of a hundred foot vertical. It will usualy take 10% more to go than to come in. ( only a rule of thumb )

rob