Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vortex Ring State Versus Settling With Power.

again, look here before faces turn red

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/116124-vo...ght=vortex+ring

look for the posts by Nick Lappos starting around page 3 or 4

settling with power and vortex ring are different.

some of the examples given here are settling with power, vortex ring is difficult to get into.

if you say you can get into it at a low (less that 500 fpm) rate of descent, PLEASE look at the link provided.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cez,

I didn't say they were a nuisance.

The word I used was nuance.

Please read carefully before replying.

I am only a pilot, not a physicist.

I'm not smart enough to understand the full scientific nuances (details) of WHAT is exactly happening to the air as it passes over the blades.......I just know that sometimes it gets all screwed-up.

My job is to avoid and/or recover from that, and that's all.

I also have heart......am I expected to know as much as the heart surgeon?

What about your family doctor....should he?

Could the blade designers at Bell or Eurocopter be held in poor regard just because they can't land a helicopter on a peak?

Know your limit and stay within it.

Please don't accuse me of not knowing mine, or not trying to reach them every time I fly.

Cez,

I didn't say they were a nuisance.

The word I used was nuance.

Please read carefully before replying.

I am only a pilot, not a physicist.

I'm not smart enough to understand the full scientific nuances (details) of WHAT is exactly happening to the air as it passes over the blades.......I just know that sometimes it gets all screwed-up.

My job is to avoid and/or recover from that, and that's all.

I also have heart......am I expected to know as much as the heart surgeon?

What about your family doctor....should he?

Could the blade designers at Bell or Eurocopter be held in poor regard just because they can't land a helicopter on a peak?

Know your limit and stay within it.

Please don't accuse me of not knowing mine, or not trying to reach them every time I fly.

:lol: Wow, I had to laugh at my mistake for the word I misread.

Thank you for pointing out my error. Please forgive me for my misreading Over-Talk. I am sorry if I have offended you.

As far my statement about heart surgeons and lawyers, well, I was trying to use their jobs as an example if they were to assume certain particulairs didn't matter, how it would matter to us if we went to them for their professionalism. We'd want them to know every detail because the matter pertained to us. Whether it was with our hearts, or case in court.

I apologize for offending you Over-Talk, or assuming you were not doing your limit. This was not my intention, nor what I meant.

As for my reply to this intial post of VTR & SWP, well I'm sticking to my guns.

Ceez.

This is always vastly entertaining.

Question of the day:

When can settling be "used" to the pilot's advantage?

AR

Years ago I was shake hauling in the early winter on the north coast. North West coast that is. It was crappo weather to say the least. I was pulling turns at 3000' and dropping at sea level.

This is a MD500 which is significant.

Coming off the hill I discovered that I could slow my airspeed, increase my rate of decent and induce what I would call Vortex ring state. I would come down so fast it was shaving 20 seconds off per turn. Over time this is a significant saving for the customer. As I approached the landing area I would move the cyclic laterally and it was like a parashoot deploying for a skydiver. Boom!!! Decent stopped immediately and control returned for a nice drop into the landing.

That's how you use it.

Don't try this at home kids.

For the record I was young and reckless at the time. Not sure I would do such a thing these days.

This is always vastly entertaining.

Question of the day:

When can settling be "used" to the pilot's advantage?

AR

AR.....which are you asking about settling or VR, and if settling....which definition? "The oh chit I dont have enough power to prevent this thing from mushing into the gound on short final" version....or the " how come the instant I raise the collecting my butt gets light in the seat" version.... : :)

This is a MD500 which is significant.

Coming off the hill I discovered that I could slow my airspeed, increase my rate of decent and induce what I would call Vortex ring state. I would come down so fast it was shaving 20 seconds off per turn. Over time this is a significant saving for the customer. As I approached the landing area I would move the cyclic laterally and it was like a parashoot deploying for a skydiver. Boom!!! Decent stopped immediately and control returned for a nice drop into the landing.

That's how you use it.

Don't try this at home kids.

For the record I was young and reckless at the time. Not sure I would do such a thing these days.

**** Deuce, you were supposed to save your answer for a while....

Bingo, you get a sticker in you notebook....lol

AR

Good story, DB!

The essence of shake block logging Dick. It's a hoot - when you get it right... mess up, and you're watching 200ft of line coil up on the ground next to the pile of wood, fast. The 500 is amazing in that regard however, some lateral cyclic, and you're out as fast as you got in, usually already turned 180 degrees and heading back up hill.

Too bad the industry seems to be on its last legs.

AR