Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vortex Ring State Versus Settling With Power.

'Spike knock'.........could that be what happened when Allouette II's from the French Navy landed on the decks of their Aircraft Carriers in a heaving sea. S.O.P. was to come to a hover approximately 100' above the heaving deck and then 'bottom' the collective to land SOLIDLY on that heaving deck......and this I've seen on video many years ago. I believe that landing would 'knock' someone's 'spike'.......specially if they were from the maintenance side. :lol::lol:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but you were taught wrong.

Interesting thread however.

AR

note. 06 helimans location is USA. And in USA they do teach that they are the same thing. I have no idea why there would not be agreement and so far as I know USA is the only

country that embraces this notion.

They got their own way to rock and that's why we love em.

Deuce .........things might have changed in the interim, but I was taught the same as you were about both of these subjects when I took R/W training with the American military. Perhaps there's a new way of thinking nowadays, but as I remember the only difference between both countries at that time was in F/W IFR and that had to do with the shape of the 'Holding Patterns'........one was 'race track' and the other wasn't, but even that wasn't a big deal.