Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

S92- Everything Is Hunky Dory?

As for the dry run capeability, in the old days, most work was done over land where an emergency landing could usually be made in 5 minutes.

What are you talk about?

OFFSHORE operations were always conducted over water, and have always had an excellent safety record. There are systems to mitigate a loss of MGB transmission lubrication and they have worked perfectly well for decades.

There are also plenty of other ways to make a machine go down, other than loss of MGB oil pressure.

I sincerely doubt that ANY pilot will ever put any credibility in any manufacturers run-dry claims, and if you lose pressure the ship is headed straight to the water. Just like it always happened before!

What are you talk about?

OFFSHORE operations were always conducted over water, and have always had an excellent safety record. There are systems to mitigate a loss of MGB transmission lubrication and they have worked perfectly well for decades.

There are also plenty of other ways to make a machine go down, other than loss of MGB oil pressure.

I sincerely doubt that ANY pilot will ever put any credibility in any manufacturers run-dry claims, and if you lose pressure the ship is headed straight to the water. Just like it always happened before!

So it's OK because it's always been done that way? I'm sorry, but that just isn't good enough. Of course I'm heading for the water immediately too, but I'm flying at minimum altitude(50'), at minimum power until I feel failure is imminent if water and wind conditions aren't safe.

I found copy of AW139 online in section 3 page 38 .

If oil pressure low, invalid and/or

- Reduce power as soon

as operational conditions

permit

- Land as soon

as possible

Note

If MGB CHIP MAST or MGB CHIP

SUMP cautions illuminate when

MGB OIL PRESS warning is illuminated

the CHIP BURNER must

not be activated.

2. Land as soon as possible: — Do not continue flight for longer

than is necessary to achieve a

safe and unhurried landing at the

nearest site.

Note 1, is the highest catagory which means land immediately .

1. Land immediately: — Land at once, even if for example

this means ditching or landing in

trees. The consequences of continued

flight are likely to be more hazardous

than those of landing at a

site normally considered unsuitable

From beginning of transmission emergy procedures section.

In general a single failure indication dictates that the helicopter Land

as soon as practicable while a double failure dictates Land as soon

as possible. If multiple failure indication, including abnormal noise

and/or vibration are present LAND IMMEDIATELY.

Consequently, in some systems if oil pressure is lost due to pump failure, the temp indicating system will tell you it's hot. But, if you lose oil flow and quantity the temp system could still read normal or even cooler. Manufacturer's recommendations should always be followed

This a/c has never had a dry run time or have even claimed to one. Something that alot of people were not aware of, especially pilots. In fact Sikorsky was exempt from this part of the cert. process. So maybe the FAA/EASA were the ones that dropped the ball, if thats what people are looking for, a MGB dry run time. Or what about the ASB to replace the gear box studs, change at next 1250 or within one year. Hmm maybe that should have went to an AD right away.

As for the a/c being safe, yes for sure.