Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ontario Schools?

RumpleMan

Hello,

I'm currently researching schools in the Ontario/Quebec area. Does anyone have any good suggestions or good things they've heard about some of the schools around here? Does one stand above the rest, or is it basically personal preference?

Next, does it make sense to go to a bigger school, for more opportunity of getting hired on after? Especially if the school is a nationwide company for example, as opposed to the little school, that supports just it's local area?

Finally, I've read on websites (haven't visited these schools yet!) that some schools train with the R22. I've read some really negative things about this heli, should I be looking at a school that has a R44 or Schwizer 300 instead? Does it make a difference for employers? for training purposes?

Ok, really the last question. I promise! I've also read that out west in BC, they have a certain degree of mountain training? Is this a big advantage? Should I consider moving out west to get training there? Is the market that much bigger out west that I would have a better chance of employment after, if I went to school there?

Thanks ahead of time. I appreciate your help

R

Well good sir,

Have you thought about paying them a visit? for instance, you may come and visit the facilities at Modak Aviation in London, Ontario after tuesday, since I'll be there to take care of you! :D You may find that the opinions about the different types of training machines arestrong, but then again, opinions are like a....les, everybody's got one.

In the market afterwards I don't believe it matters, as long as it is a Helicopter, since you will be regarded as a novice and newbie for quite some time, and you'll need checkouts on the machines your employer have.

So, I'll see you on thursday at 9 o'clock? :up: (Next week that is!)

First of all, before you go spend you $50 000 on flight training, I hope someone gave you a realistic outlook at what you should expect once you finish your training and receive your license:

1-Good luck finding a job. If you find employement for a helicopter outfit within the first 6-12 months, you will be very lucky!

2- Once you find this first job, expect to clean toilets, wash floors, repair cargo nets etc. for the first year. This is usually so the companies can size you up (see what kind of attitude and work ethics you have) before letting you loose in their million dollar A/C.

3-Once you start flying, expect to be away from home for many many moons. In other words, you will not have a social life between May and September. I know this seems harsh but that's the nature of this industry and if you're not prepared to accept this, don't waste your money!!!! Working conditions are generally improving but very slowly!

Also, be prepared to spend a lot of time in crappy camps and eating crappy food.

I'm not trying to scare you away from getting into this business, I just want to make sure you're not one of many unsuspecting students that were told everything is peachy be the flight schools just so they could take you money. Once you pay, they don't care how long you have to knock on operator's doors to get a job!

All the negatives sides of this business are well worth it if you have the right kind of personality. I personally couldn't think of a better career to get into

:up: :up:

As for what kind of heli to train in, read some of the past threads and you'll find a lot of different advice.

We hire new pilots every year and we often don't even consider guys that trained in Bell 47's or Hughes 300's unless they come highly recomended by someone we know. We operate Robinsons and we would rather hire someone that trained in an R22/R44 . At least, the small amount of flying they've already done is in the same type of A/C they'll be flying for us (no need for a different endorsment!)

90% of entry positions in this country are on a Robinson product. When's the last time you saw a Bell 47 or a Hughes 300 in the oil field????

As for weather R22's are unsafe, personally I think it's a load of cr-p!!!

They're only unsafe when flown by idiots. Robinson's wouldn't the best selling A/C in the world if they were unsafe.

By the way, Bell 47's and 300's are just as good a training choice if you focus only on the training.

One thing you might want to consider is training with an outfit that also operates.

Big companies like Great Slave Helicopters usually hire a couple of their best students every year. It doesn't necessarily mean you would receive the best training in the world but then again, the best training in the world won't help you find a job!

Winnie is right about opinions and assh-les, and this is mine!!!! :up:

first off...Winnie...welcome back amigo........ :up:

secondly,we have debated which is the best machine for training just about to death. :down:

Rumpleman, do yourself a favor and research this thoroughly. go to the various schools and ask alot of questions. it's your money and every school should be happy to answer ALL your questions.......

true, everyone has an opinion but it is yours that counts. if you are checking out schools in BC stop by for a coffee. if you are wanting to stay in ontario then go see winnie!! :up:

good luck....... :up:

All things being equal I would hire a pilot that trained in or around the area our company operates.If you want to fly in Ontario ,train IN Ontario if you want to fly in B.C. or Alberta train IN B.C. or Alberta . This is not east VS west prejidice .I believe in supporting the local industry and there has to be some way of thining the pile of resume's . Good luck ,it's agreat job

recirqe

I understand you point, however being on the low time pilot side of things I don't think that training in Ontario will help you get hired in Ontario. Be honest, how many low time pilots do you know that have been hired in Ontario in the last 3 years? And out of all of these how many are actually flying. Not just picking up an hour hear or there but that are actually flying operationally. I think that you will find the opportunities are few and far between at best, but that opportunities are better for low timers that train and look for employment in Alberta.

412Driver and Twinstar_ca, thanks! And I'm looking forward to beeing in your beautiful country again, doing what we all love, with some new and most interesting oportunities that I have not had before! Hope that includes being closer to some of you, enough so that I might meet a fewe of you na dshare a few beers or other types of liquid lubrication!

Cheers and hi to all! :up: