Sms - It Ain't Over Until It's Over

It absolutely shocks me that anyone is shocked that SMS has not worked in our industry. Can anyone tell me that they honestly believed that an industry as cut throat and dishonest as ours has turned out to be, could actually implement, adhere and benefit with an SMS system? Companies out there are stealing fuel from one another, taking maintenance shortcuts because they need to make up for the fact they are who%$#* out their jetrangers at $700/hour, and cutting corners, and yet some feel these "businessmen" and "professional" aviators can self regulate- especially when it comes to safety! Wow, if you do actually believe that crap then give me a PM so I can set you up with some beautiful oceanfront property I am selling in Saskatchewan. SMS will not ever work in this industry UNLESS we as an industry separate some of the wheat from the chaff, and get rid of the operators that actually are going to prevent SMS from ever having a chance of succeeding. Until then, SMS will continue to be an absolute waste of time, resources and unfortunately lives. Our industry needs to grow up and start getting rid of the problems that plague it. My 2 cents.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...an industry as cut throat and dishonest as ours..."

Too bad you're holding back . . . . :D :D

These topics have been flogged before but an update may be worthwhile . . . .

Safety Management Systems:

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/index.ph...ic=2026&hl=

Self Management:

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/index.ph...ic=7129&hl=

From a well placed source - the Self Management concept was a Jenner/HAC brainchild, not a TC initiative although I think they brought self management to the CBAA. Below is a summary of the Federal Auditor General's findings on the CBAA performance.

I'm sorry I don't have time to digest these myself and comment just now.

Cheers . . . .

Press_Release_6May2008_AG_Report.pdf

Good observations L3 Driver.

Whenever initiatives like these arise, usually accompanied by a lot of hoo-haw and government-speak, I always wonder what is broken that they're trying to fix.

I must confess to being a bit confused by these "two" initiatives - are they really different versions of the same idea with new names? Who is championing them? TC? HAC?

I'm in the process of looking through the TC material on SMS but still feel that Self Management is a cat of a different stripe.

Cheers . . . .

CJM91,

The trouble is, Transport Canada has been insisting all along that they have no intention of leaving the industry to self regulate, but that is what is actually going on in our industry at this time. The only segment of industry with regulations in place for SMS, is 705, and the airlines haven't been audited for some time now. In anticipation, and in advance of SMS, Transport Canada cancelled the national audit program. The rest of the industry, which is not presently legally required to be SMS compliant is not being subjected to audits either. At present, TC representatives are doing "program validations", but if you read the fine print, oversight simply isn't happening.

Therefore, by default, SMS, self-regulating, self-management - whatever you want to call it - is all the same thing.

Consider the CBAA - which started regulating itself, two years prior to enabling legislation. How is it Transport Canada authorized to behave outside the regulations? And how does ICAO look the other way as Transport bamboozles them on a feel good tour audit of their safety and oversight role, when all the while, Transport Canada no longer meets the requirements of ICAO?

If you have the time to read the backgrounder on US problems, researched and presented by Richard Balnis, researcher for CUPE, you can see where Canada is headed:

http://safeskies.ca/events/2009-04-21_air_...ce_Problems.pdf

We certainly don't claim to know everything, but there is a select few of us frustrated and fed up with the damage Transport Canada is in the process of causing to our industry, in the name of safety. And what will be the cost?

There is some really good information available through the safeskies website, to which we hope to be adding a newsletter, background information and hopefully a way for anyone to add their own experiences, opinions and feedback. At present, comments and input are welcomed on the "about us" page, and of course, on these forums.

There aren't many that won't agree the aviation industry is rife with problems, and that Transport Canada (the department as a whole) lacks accountability. If you've ever tried to run a business, or dealt with more than one office of TC, you would likely be well familiar with regional differences in "policy". Whatever happened to federal law?

A handful of people aren't going to change much on their own - but can you imagine if the industry organized and demanded change?

Historically, industry hasn't been very good at cooperating with each other - but nothing is written that says it has to remain this way.

Thanks for listening,

tin lizzie

Oh, and one more thing (sorry!)...

If you really want a true picture of SMS, go to the ICAO information and have a gander. ICAO has reams of training and background material on the subject. http://www.icao.int/anb/safetymanagement/

If you take the time to compare TC SMS propaganda, and examine their (lack of) oversight activities, you will find they are not in line with ICAO recommendations and intentions with regard to SMS.

Two major member states - Canada and the US - are struggling to comply with ICAO initiatives, for various reasons, and both are in trouble. The US at least is starting to have to deal with some of the fallout, but Canadians are regrettably slow on the uptake. Both countries have the power to sway ICAO.

TC has their own agenda with respect to SMS - among other things: addressing bloated bureaucracy, lack of budget and a desire to reduce government liability - none of which has anything to do with real safety.

End rant!

CJM91,

Therefore, by default, SMS, self-regulating, self-management - whatever you want to call it - is all the same thing.

A handful of people aren't going to change much on their own - but can you imagine if the industry organized and demanded change?

Historically, industry hasn't been very good at cooperating with each other - but nothing is written that says it has to remain this way.

Thanks for listening,

tin lizzie

Holy Smoke, thanks for the clarification! Things are probably worse than most of us thought.

I'll try to look at the material you referenced. Thanks for that, a great help.

You're right, it doesn't have to remain this way but tradition and momentum are powerful forces. Notwithstanding that gloomy prospect, where do you suggest to apply pressure via letter, email, etc.?

Thanks again, cheers . . . . . .

Consider the CBAA - which started regulating itself, two years prior to enabling legislation. How is it Transport Canada authorized to behave outside the regulations?

Why, through exemption of course:

EXEMPTION FROM SUBPART 604 OF THE CANADIAN AVIATION REGULATIONS

Some interesting reading here as well, although it is getting a bit dated now:

REPORT ON AIR SAFETY AND SECURITY - Report of the Subcommittee on Transportation Safety of the Standing Senate Committee on Transport and Communications - June 2000

and yet some feel these "businessmen" and "professional" aviators can self regulate- especially when it comes to safety! Wow, if you do actually believe that crap then give me a PM so I can set you up with some beautiful oceanfront property I am selling in Saskatchewan. SMS will not ever work in this industry UNLESS we as an industry separate some of the wheat from the chaff, and get rid of the operators that actually are going to prevent SMS from ever having a chance of succeeding. Until then, SMS will continue to be an absolute waste of time, resources and unfortunately lives. Our industry needs to grow up and start getting rid of the problems that plague it.

Perhaps it is 2 different things. Now I haven't followed all he links and read all the stories, but at our company level, it is making a difference.

We have increased our safety awareness throughout the company, have added additional training material and training dollars, and demand that all employees get on board or get on the bus. (well almost that way!)

The industry will take a long time to change, and there will be companies that will always continue to drag it down, BUT we can change it in our own companies if we choose to. And we don't need TC or anyone else to force us to do so.

We all have the choice, and whether we do or we don't, is up to us, and us alone.

Some of us can remember that even when TC was riding herd, there were still some companies that didn't really quite get on board. And some of those never will, unfortunately.

Want to change the industry? Start with your own company. The rest will follow.

ps: and I would be interested in the ocean property in Sask as that is where I am at the moment...

...shoveling snow and doing IA!! What a life.

Great post skids up. I agree with you 100%. Perhaps I should be concentrating on SMS within my company rather than what the "others" are doing. You are right, no matter what there will always be companies that will disregard safety and take shortcuts. It just really bothers me because I have friends working for some of these questionable operators and I worry about their safety. I guess at the end of the day, we all make our own choices of what is acceptable and what is not. The other side of the coin is that when companies are having accidents, we all pay more in insurance. Lots of ways to look at this I guess. I just don't believe SMS will work overall, but looks like it will happen anyway.

p.s. I will give you a good deal on that property!!!