Longline Vs Shortline

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CTD, The line you were referring to reads "Other than the safety benefits to men and equipment on the ground, long lining is more dangerous in every way. The dangling line can be an object catcher."

My take on this article is that it's been written from the point of view of someone who hasn't done much long line work, CAN'T long line and never could. (as per his statement "We zigzaged through the sky, barely in control of the helicopter") If any of you feel this way, DON'T fly the line !!

My favorite "line" was the opener, this is where the author lost my interest, "Sure, heavy, multi-engine helicopters engaged in heli-logging will almost always usa a longline...."

Almost always?, I'd say a heavy multi engine logger would ALWAYS use a line, Hey how about it Kamov guys or V-Ref, when the cut-block is wide open, do you ever grab a few turns on the Belly?

JBC, You're correct about you have to walk before running. Did Okie run you guys through the "barrel" when you were out in Penticton in '77? I recall that their training was fairly good, and that I left the school with an acceptable level of experience. Oh and one other thing JBC, quit clubbing baby seals ! :D

Yup, we had 10 "palm sweating" hours of trying to put the 5 gallon bucket in the 45 gallon drum (total time 160hrs) . Also, you guys, you have to understand our sling enviroment, which is under transmission lines. Not a whole lot of clearance even with a 3 foot landyard.

Also I am discussed that you think we still club seals, now a days we drive a dart in their face as they surface for air or just shoot them while they are sleeping in the sun on the ice..............

With all due respect 407, CTD and others, you've pointed out yet another example of the comparative 'pussyness' of the 'CH way!' In the 'good old days' we used a quart of oil on the end of a sashcord, setting it into a 5-gal. pail. :P

Seriously, though, that WAS a frightening article, and the potential to mislead droves of fresh new hands is scarier than ****. I know there are still skinners out there, especially logging with Bells, using the old shotgun. The operators that allow it (if they're even aware) pay a price that sure as **** isn't recovered with the rates they're getting. The abort rate with slingshotting is higher, too, as well as adding to the endangerment of the rigging species. :unsure:

How anyone can seriously argue that longlining is safer than stubbing, except in the rarest circumstances, is beyond me and, yes, let's ALL write the magazine and express our concerns in the clearest terms. :shock:

mmmmm......Flipper Pie :P:D

Title: Seal Flipper Pie

Yield: 1 Servings

Ingredients

3 seal flippers

1 very thin slices of fatback

1 pork

2 inches of water

5 onions, sliced

2 cn beef stock or

3 oxo cubes in

2 c water

2 ts savory

2 ts worcestershire sauce

1 carrot

1 parsnip

1 turnip

1 potatoes

1 flour to thicken

1 crust:

3 c flour

6 ts baking powder

1/4 ts salt

1/4 lb margarine

1 1/2 c milk

Instructions

Note: Skinned turres (a seabird, also known as murres) preboiled for

25 minutes in plain water, may be substituted.

1. Meticulously remove all fat from 3 seal flippers

2. Cover bottom of heavy skillet with very thin slices of fatback

pork.

3. Render the fat, then sear the well-seasoned flippers.

4. To a roasting pan add: 2 inches of water (5 cm if using metric

flippers (sic? measure); 4-5 onions, sliced; 2 cans beef stock or 3

Oxo cubes in 2 cups water; 1 - 2 teaspoons savory; 1 - 2 teaspoons

Worcestershire sauce

5. Add flippers, fatback and cook UNCOVERED for about 1 1/2 hours at

325 degrees F. At this stage the meat should be tender and the bones

can be removed if desired. Add carrot, parsnip, turnip or whatever

plus more water if required; cook an additional 20 minutes. Add

potatoes and cook a further 20 minutes or so. Add flour to thicken.

Crust: 3 cups flour 6 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt Cut

in 1/4 lb. margarine, rub through fingers until stage of fine crumbs

then add 1 1/2 cups milk. Mix with spoon/hands, roll lightly, cover

flippers etc. in pan or dish. Cook at 375-400 degrees F until browned

(about 20 minutes).

Recommended wine: London Dock (an overproof dark rum). Newfie Screech

may be substituted.