Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Longline Vs Shortline

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early in my flying career, after the basic long line intro, I had a very good chief pilot suggest putting on the line at every opportunity to get used to the thing. This usually meant making perfectly round drums square! :blink: The result is that I am embarrassed/proud? to say that I don't know how to short-line, and in fact find the notion very uncomfortable.

The article in question puts forward some very questionable methods about working with a long line from an operational perspective, however there is an under-lying theme that has me concerned. One that I have been thinking about a great deal the older I get, and the bigger the mortgage becomes.

As our Canadian society becomes more comfortable with civil law suits, what lawyer would be able to defend our butts if it ever comes to the question: "are you familiar with your helicopters height-velocity diagram?" The worst case scenario (heaven forbid), is that you are having an off day, it's late in the season and your tired, or you just made that pick for the hundredth time, and then the gerbils go for lunch!! Yes, my prayers would hope that we all put it to the side and everybody goes home safe. What if however; the machine ends up in the drill shack and the primary wage earner in another household is not so lucky.

While I maintain that long lining is the way to go, are there statistics that could be used on our behalf to temper the black and white that is contained in that legal document called the flight manual?

Is this something we should be concerned about?

Certainly check whether the h/v diagram is recommended or not (if it's in the limitations section it's mandatory). However, the sad truth is that, however well you justify your decision (h/v not valid for approaches anyway, etc) a smart lawyer will still make you look bad and juries think that anything to do with aviation has megabucks involved, or they at least know there might be insurance with deep pockets.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Bubble boy,

The HV curve is not really an issue for most of us when we longline! Why would it be? The curve is stating that a "non bending" landing to a "firm hard surface" may not be accomplished!

I would rather be at a 150' hover with myself on board than at 50' and 20kts with 14 passengers along.

I believe I would have a much better chance from a hover than I would with the second described situation.

Remember the HV curves are calculated at all up maximum gross wt. Something you are at only for a breif transition during longlining operations till the airspeed indicator starts to wiggle!

You are in the curve a lot less than one would think on the end of a longline line!!! No kidding... ;)

Anyone take the time to send a note to both the publisher and the editor? Both emails are in the front of the magazine. Told them they needed a section fro readers comments and suggested they could find the room by removing KA and all his stupid remarks! :down:

Wonder if they will find the space to publish that?!? :lol: