Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Search And Rescue Pull Services

Guest plumber

With our arcaic court system probably not and the worst part is this moron can sue the rescuers individually so they could lose everything they worked for in there real jobs.

I wonder when society will be held responsible for their own actions.

When did we become a sue everyone nation like the U.S?

Has anyone picked up that I'm pissed off!

Relax buddy. As you say this is Canada. The fact this guy thinks he has a case is probably due to an overzealous lawyer more than anything else.

Canadian courts and judges and courts are famously stingy when it comes to civil lawsuits and I would guess our friend will end up with a big legal bill, a lecture from a judge, and not much else for his efforts.

As for the SAR gang I would guess they are just making a point and the next time their services are required they will be on the line as usual.

Now everyone go out on the deck and have a nice cold Mojito and relax. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just want to say, thanks to all SAR teams out there, big or small. Without you many more lives would have been lost. I have been hooked to a basket below a Labrador before and I can whole hardheartedly say it was all my fault. The one thing that left a huge sour taste in my mouth is that a lawyer approached my mother just hours after the rescue and told her she may have a lawsuit against the property owners of where the accident happened. Its just sick what some people will do for money.

There's apparently some slight confusion here by some folks. DO NOT confuse 'common sense' as you know it with anything that takes place inside a Courtroom. Also, DO NOT confuse the words 'Truth' and "Justice' within the same enviroment. The statue of the lady that adorns the front of most Court buidings has her eyes covered over and holds scales that hang even. Once you pass that lady the one who gets the most 'justice' is the one that has the deepest pockets and can afford attorney fees upwards of $2,500/hr including upwards of 13 Articulling Law students for research purposes.......and 'truth' has nothing whatsoever to do with it. The Government Counsels operate by themselves with NO research resources or people available to them as their opposite learned Counsel. So take what Mom and Dad taught was right and correct, what your Church perhaps passed-on to you as correct and proper and ditto for whatever your teachers and educators taught you about same. The blind lady holding the scales of justice at the entrance only denotes everyone's hope and desire that truth will dominate within the nearby walls and on which our system of governance is based upon. Problem is though that if my Counsel is $1000/hr and my opponet's Counsel charges $250/hr, the odds are extremely good that I win......he looses........and who is actually at fault is immaterial.

So first I would need to know the name of the Counsel representing said gentleman in this case, what his reputation is in the Courtroom and how many years doing so. If he is very experienced with a winning record I can assure you that Counsel representing Government or the team doing so will not be so experienced. If they were so, then they would be doing the same as him in private practice and not earning the similarly measely salaries of government Counsels.

I can't (for long) imagine what that was like to be stranded out there (stupid or not) and watch as your wife died. We've all done stupid things. Without having to pay that kind of consequence. It's too bad there couldn't be some kind of grief counseling or critical incident stress debriefing in place for him soon after the incident to address his shock and buffer the after affects of trauma. Then perhaps there could now be a solution focused attempt to improve (if possible) standard procedures and regulations in SAR. I have no ideas or suggestions as to what those might be. But it just seems as though his painful (& sadly, unresolved) emotions are being used in a counterproductive way here. (just a thought).

The big loss is that Golden SAR ( second busiest group in BC ) is one of very few Class D groups in the Southern Interior. They respond to Class D calls all over the Kootenays and Columbias.

If Gilles Blackburn thinks he's doing something to help remedy his tragic situation, he has only succeeded in placing many many more lives in jeopardy.

Hopefully, the BC Government will find a way to back-up these and other Volunteer SAR crews and end this madness.

If i recall correctly , isnt it correct that someone contacted the resort after seeing the SOS and they said they had no one missing . Surely a large part of liability must rest with the resort for not checking . If room service notice a room had not been used for a few days wouldnt that raise some warning flags .

"The Law of Cause & Effect states that absolutely everything happens for a reason. All actions have consequences and produce specific results, as do all inactions. The choices we make are causes, whether they are conscious or unconscious, and will produce corresponding outcomes or effects.

The law of cause and effect is commonly known throughout science. For every action there is a reaction or similarly, for every cause there is an effect and from every effect there must have been a cause.

Often people are living their lives reacting to one event after the next. They presume life is just a random series of circumstances and that they must deal with what life throws at them from moment to moment. They are unaware that they are directly responsible for each and every event that appears in their lives. Due to the law of cause and effect they have in fact created the circumstances that have arrived in their reality from their own thoughts, words and actions. These thoughts, words and actions on the part of the individual are the cause and the resultant outcome at some later date is the direct effect from the initial cause."

Worth a thought.

Correct Widgeon.

Skied out of Bounds on Feb 15th on downhill gear, NOT free-heel touring gear.

No Hotel, as He checked out that AM.

No frosted/snow covered car in an empty lot, as he left it underground at the Hotel.

No Ski rentals overdue.

Not even the family reported of missing persons, as they were not missed by family until Feb 23rd, the date of their YUL flight, then reported missing to BANFF RCMP, family not even aware that they were in Golden.

"The Law of Cause & Effect states that absolutely everything happens for a reason. All actions have consequences and produce specific results, as do all inactions. The choices we make are causes, whether they are conscious or unconscious, and will produce corresponding outcomes or effects.

The law of cause and effect is commonly known throughout science. For every action there is a reaction or similarly, for every cause there is an effect and from every effect there must have been a cause.

Often people are living their lives reacting to one event after the next. They presume life is just a random series of circumstances and that they must deal with what life throws at them from moment to moment. They are unaware that they are directly responsible for each and every event that appears in their lives. Due to the law of cause and effect they have in fact created the circumstances that have arrived in their reality from their own thoughts, words and actions. These thoughts, words and actions on the part of the individual are the cause and the resultant outcome at some later date is the direct effect from the initial cause."

Worth a thought.

Tell that to my 39 year old sister who has MS.