Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

204 Incident In Manitoba

I trust that it is now difficult or impossible to create 'Brown Bombers'. If that's the case though and there's 'a grandfather clause' to that rule, then MoT have another 13 Mediums in Canada to 'erase' somehow. One's been 'written-off' three times now and it's still flying. Great a/c those Bell Mediums.....you just can't keep'em down :lol: . Now that that has supposedly been solved, I wonder how all that applies to 212's with SINGLE hydraulics. Bell claims they never made any such 212's, but I think their lying because I saw one with my own eyes and I know of more. Last time I mentioned that to anyone from Bell, it was their Tech Rep in Vancouver, Pat McMahon, and he spewed the coffee he was drinking as he started laughing. Sorry, I can't type anymore because I'm laughing too hard now too.......forgive me please. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wonder how all that applies to 212's with SINGLE hydraulics. Bell claims they never made any such 212's, but I think their lying because I saw one with my own eyes and I know of more.

Your absolutely right Cap. I have seen one in Canada a few eons back, Canadian Registered. I'm positive there are more floating around.

I can only go on about this on any particular occasion for a short period because it all really tickles my funny bone. Anyway, I know of one that MoT spent fistfulls of money on trying to track down in Africa and it was Canadian registered too. The MoT guy would go to the country where last reported and they'd tell him that it had left for the neighbouring country, but would be back soon. He'd book a room and after it didn't appear in a week or so, he'd find out where it was in that neighbouring country and off he'd go to find that sucker. When he got to that location, they'd tell him that it just left for home back in the neighbouring country. Back and forth, back and forth and back and forth this chase went on until MoT lost interest or the budget for doing so ran empty. :lol:

I can only go on about this on any particular occasion for a short period because it all really tickles my funny bone. Anyway, I know of one that MoT spent fistfulls of money on trying to track down in Africa and it was Canadian registered too. The MoT guy would go to the country where last reported and they'd tell him that it had left for the neighbouring country, but would be back soon. He'd book a room and after it didn't appear in a week or so, he'd find out where it was in that neighbouring country and off he'd go to find that sucker. When he got to that location, they'd tell him that it just left for home back in the neighbouring country. Back and forth, back and forth and back and forth this chase went on until MoT lost interest or the budget for doing so ran empty. :lol:

Viking 212?? the one that crashed in Kenya early in the morning full of fuel drums leaving a scorch mark 1/4 mile long??

tom t -------- gotta be careful here at the same time tom. The original LEGAL conversion for the 205 was 212 blades and tranny, the 212's pointy nose (which also helped to increase it's LEGAL VNE) and the upgraded engine. So if you see a converted 205 with the pointy nose you are undoubtedly seeing a rare bird, BUT don't go assuming 'funny business' having taken place. I also said 'rare bird' because although it was legal, not many conversions went in that direction. After all was said and done, the conversion was basically for added slinging and payload weights and abilities. So blasting through the sky at 135+ MPH with a sling load in a 205 better be done without the engineer onboard or else one might end up doing part of that job with a crescent wrench upside the head :lol: .

Splitpin --------Naw, I was referring to another Canadian registered 212 in the same general area. Still think Bell is lying though because I flew the old 205's when all they had was single hydraulics and I had no problem whatever. They were probably 212's made under License for Bell for some secret organization.....that's proabably the story there :lol::lol: . Whatdaya think about that Splitpin? :lol::lol::lol: .

It's all been a total joke for eons now and extremely poorly monitored by Ottawa. Once in awahile they'd go some place, raid some operator or working a/c and wave the flag, but even Bell knew tthat it had become a joke. One didn't realize how much so until they may have gone to look for or been contracted to find a decent 204/05 some place and that's when you began to shake your head to the point where you wondered if there were any valid used Mediums left inb the world anymore. Bell were more than well aware and put this caveat out there to all O/H and maintenance facilities. They warned all of those shops that they could do as they so wished, BUT if they were ever caught doing an O/H or maintenance on such an a/c, they'd have their Bell Approved LIcense to do so taken away and never get it back. Also understandable because there existed over 1,500 more Bell 205's in the world than Bell Textron or any of it's Licencees ever made. I was shown a picture of one by a Bell Tech Rep with long spray booms out each side and spraying in the NW US. Then I was shown a picture of the same a/c about a year later. It's now on the back of a very large stake truck and it's a hunk of sqaure-shaped from being crushed like a tin can in one of those metal compacters. Then I'm shown a picture of it in Canada in full operational mode. Engine history was 'interesting' also. Done by an OH Shop in New Orleans, LA by a company operating under direct orders to do so from Phoenix Corporation of Atlanta, GA.........otherwise known as the HQ for the new -named version of Air Americaa, with 'operations at undisclosed areas' worldwide. Other than that, if one wanted more tech info on said engine they would read a typed sheet, stapled to an M & O Manual page which stated thus......"For further information on this aircraft, please contact the United States Government at (xxx) xxx-xxxx".

Point here being that Bell/Textron knew all about this and so did MoT, but that sucker just kept being registered and kept-on just 'chuggin' along. Then just as the dust was settling on that story, here MoT would be grounding some 204 in Sashatchewan some place because it wasn't legal because it didn't have enough round holes on the posts behind the pilot and the Co-Jo and that made it a military a/c. Couldn't fly and was grounded until more holes were cut out of those posts. Laugh? I roared about that for a whole afternoon until my stomach hurt.