Crew Shortages

Wasn't there a "consultant" that fell off the end of a runway and insisted they double its length because it was too short?

Yes, Chevy, I've met some of these "consultants" - one of whom ran out of fuel in flight! Unfortunatley, their influence is also combined with a p*ssing contest between customers who can say they are safer because their pilots have more hours.

I've gone back into consultancy now and will be trying to make some sort of difference where I can.

Phil

Hel-Air Aviation Safety Consultants

Guest CHEVY II

That's why I say there needs to be some consistency in this industry. Level the playing field then turn the tables.

We all had to conform to the same rules when we got our licenses...why should it stop there?

Albert

Yes I agree that there are a lot of jobs that lowtimers are capable of. Its funny how operations managers are throwing other jobs at maintenence staff when a lowtimer could get the same job done. All I would like to see is operators giving a lowtimer some responsibility when on the ground, once he proves himself let him have a shot at the controlls. I know that insurance is an issue however you could always have him ppc'd and ready to relocate aircraft or any other job that would only require hull insurance. I know this would be a very slow way of building time however it is better than nothing! I have seen this work with a guy that replaced me. Mind you this guy was willing to work for free! It's a real shame! No wonder I am considering going back to school! Afterall being a lowtime pilot simply has next to nothing for opportunities and when you think you have a good thing going you can be replaced with free labour.

pj

Puddle Jumper, ground work (i.e. fixing nets, mopping floor, fueling A/C etc.) is exactly what we get our low time pilots do for a while before we let them near the A/C. They are trained and ppc'd in case we need them to go in a pinch but otherwise they can expect to spend a good portion of the first season on the ground and in the hanger specifically for the same reason you talked about: so we can get to know what kind of personality they have before we let them loose with our A/C and customers!

With the shortage of AME's being what it is, I don't see many operators making the AME's do work that could be done be low time pilots.

I see more of the opposite, low time pilots helping the maintenance guys with inspections by removing and cleaning cowlings and inspection panels, greasing etc.

No wonder I am considering going back to school! Afterall being a lowtime pilot simply has next to nothing for opportunities and when you think you have a good thing going you can be replaced with free labour.

No offense but you're not exactly pulling at my heartsrings here!!! I hope you did some research and was warned in no uncertain terms that it would tough breaking into the business after spending your 50k's.

You're right, the last thing you want to see is some assh-le offer his services for free (gee, isn't this the topic of another thread??!?) but you just gotta keep your chin up and be persistent with a good attitude and eventually someone will give you a break!!

Don't forget the old saying, being at the right place at the right time!!!!!