Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chc Global Helicopter Pilots Unionize

On June 30th 2009, the Canadian Industrial Relations Board certified the CHC Global Pilots (GHPA). Now the pilots are recognised as a union and can start the process for the collective bargaining agreement.

The heart of the matter:

NOW, THEREFORE, it is ordered by the Canadian Industrial Relations Board that the Global Helicopter Pilots Association be, and is hereby certified to be the bargaining agent for a unit comprising:

"all pilots employed by CHC Global Operations (2008) Inc. excluding full time managers, pilots whose primary duty is non-flying base manager and foreign national pilots employed by CHC partner companies."

Reference file No. 26066-C

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations fellas! What a big step forward for working conditions, wages and dealing with A$$ hole management. I guess CHC global will now have to stop using that same old militant approach which led to this development, I am laughing very hard inside!!. They may actually have to work "with" the pilots now.

How refreshing.

A true inspiration to us all. It can be done!! I admire the tenacity of the folks that made this happen.

Soldier on!!

HF

Guest plumber
Congratulations fellas! What a big step forward for working conditions, wages and dealing with A$$ hole management. I guess CHC global will now have to stop using that same old militant approach which led to this development, I am laughing very hard inside!!. They may actually have to work "with" the pilots now.

How refreshing.

A true inspiration to us all. It can be done!! I admire the tenacity of the folks that made this happen.

Soldier on!!

HF

As unions have served their purpose in the past today they are strictly there to protect the lazy and whiny. I've been a member of several and all I ever saw was money coming of my pay cheque to help the lazy prick who I and others had to cover for on the job.

As unions have served their purpose in the past today they are strictly there to protect the lazy and whiny. I've been a member of several and all I ever saw was money coming of my pay cheque to help the lazy prick who I and others had to cover for on the job.

I hesitate in responding to this thread as union/non union tends to sit on a shelf amongst the pro life/pro choice, religion, politics lot... however, union vs non union is something that's interested my curiosity for some time...

Growing up in a small business owning house hold, I didn't grow up with union values. It surprised me to learn slang terms like "contra ban" from a friend who worked in a union... and that it was "normal" apparently, to take things like paint, lumber, metal, safety gear etc... Because either the benefits weren't good enough, the holidays weren't long enough, or treatment at work was simply unacceptable. When Harmac (a pulp and paper mill) was operating in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, well... how shall I put this... lets just say there are a LOT of houses in Nanaimo from back in the day that are painted "Harmac Green."

Friends from all kinds of unions. Be it the mill, Canada Post, the Port Authority, Safeway... I found this consistent across the board. Longer breaks. Longer lunch hours. More doddling to get a job done. More benefits, wages, time, gear, status, Christmas bonuses, things stolen, etc... expected.

I sure can appreciate how someone in the aviation industry might want the protection of union mandate, so to speak. I just think the attitude of excessive entitlement that so often seems to accompany, and often run along side, union values would really be such a shame to see in this industry.

Just my 2 bits. For what it's worth...

Guest plumber

Canada post is the best example of a glorified paper boy making $25+ an hour. No skills required, must be able to walk upright (kinda) and figure out what side of the street is odd or even.

Worked there one year (min wage job at best), people who work in a gas station need to know more than a postal worker.