Chc Global Helicopter Pilots Unionize

Well, the pro-union and the antis seem to be running about even, as usual, on this ever-ancient, ever-new thread, and the strongest emotion and weakest literacy are on linked as always, but I've read more articulate perspectives than ever before on this go-around.

It's a shame, though, that all too few of us seem to recognize that, as in almost all industries, and a large majority of businesses, mediocre management is the norm. Nor that pilots, of course, want to fly, and engineers want to wrench, but they rarely, if ever, shop effectively for their jobs. They're really no different, in fact, from the owners and managers they rant about.

Both sides are invested in survival, both are prepared to do 'whatever it takes' to obtain what they believe they 'need' but, rather than thrive on their similarities, they immerse themselves in their differences. Like too many marriages, neither side will give credence to the wants and needs of the other, so we go from skirmish to skirmish until the divorce finally comes, then go looking for a new battlefield.

I've been pilot, manager and owner for a few decades and I can tell you that, especially in these times, more owners than you can imagine worry more about the responsibility of making the payroll than they do about their margins. As well, despite what many say, most pilots are every bit as concerned about doing a task as best they can rather than who's getting paid more. And, like pilots pushing weather or their bird's limits, owners strive to carry on long after the towel should have been thrown in.

Several of the contributors to the thread have suggested the need for more communication in the industry, and my experience tells me they're totally correct. Remember, though, that communication is much more about listening than it is about talking, and being heard isn't about shouting the loudest, it's about clarity and sincerity. Go, individually or as a well-intended representative group, to whomever you need to talk to and make your heartfelt concerns heard. Then listen to theirs. And, if it doesn't work the first time, try again. And again, and again. Nobody wins if everyone's needs are not understood and, like in unsuccessful marriages, there may be no resolution that works for everyone. Don't be bitter. Divorce, and look for something better.

Although never a union proponent, and someone that believes unions long ago came to the point of feeding on themselves while achieving too little, I do wish the CHC group well, and pray they don't come to regret this step.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite the same thing, but...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/boei...condline08.html

Boeing succesfully busted the IAM in Wichita...now it's going after Puget Sound.

And a fun fact, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the shop at Bell in Mirabel is NOT unionized....and they (mgmt and shop) are pretty happy about it.

Well, the pro-union and the antis seem to be running about even, as usual, on this ever-ancient, ever-new thread, and the strongest emotion and weakest literacy are on linked as always, but I've read more articulate perspectives than ever before on this go-around.

It's a shame, though, that all too few of us seem to recognize that, as in almost all industries, and a large majority of businesses, mediocre management is the norm. Nor that pilots, of course, want to fly, and engineers want to wrench, but they rarely, if ever, shop effectively for their jobs. They're really no different, in fact, from the owners and managers they rant about.

Both sides are invested in survival, both are prepared to do 'whatever it takes' to obtain what they believe they 'need' but, rather than thrive on their similarities, they immerse themselves in their differences. Like too many marriages, neither side will give credence to the wants and needs of the other, so we go from skirmish to skirmish until the divorce finally comes, then go looking for a new battlefield.

I've been pilot, manager and owner for a few decades and I can tell you that, especially in these times, more owners than you can imagine worry more about the responsibility of making the payroll than they do about their margins. As well, despite what many say, most pilots are every bit as concerned about doing a task as best they can rather than who's getting paid more. And, like pilots pushing weather or their bird's limits, owners strive to carry on long after the towel should have been thrown in.

Several of the contributors to the thread have suggested the need for more communication in the industry, and my experience tells me they're totally correct. Remember, though, that communication is much more about listening than it is about talking, and being heard isn't about shouting the loudest, it's about clarity and sincerity. Go, individually or as a well-intended representative group, to whomever you need to talk to and make your heartfelt concerns heard. Then listen to theirs. And, if it doesn't work the first time, try again. And again, and again. Nobody wins if everyone's needs are not understood and, like in unsuccessful marriages, there may be no resolution that works for everyone. Don't be bitter. Divorce, and look for something better.

Although never a union proponent, and someone that believes unions long ago came to the point of feeding on themselves while achieving too little, I do wish the CHC group well, and pray they don't come to regret this step.

Wonderful to see you back here, although that "Grasshoppa" thing is going to take some gettin' used to. Welcome home! :bye:

Wonderful to see you back here, although that "Grasshoppa" thing is going to take some gettin' used to. Welcome home! :bye:

That kind of welcome is sure likely to keep a fella around, TQN. And the 'Grasshopper' moniker is all about realizing, the longer I'm around, that I'm more and more like Kane's little critter all the time. B)

That kind of welcome is sure likely to keep a fella around, TQN. And the 'Grasshopper' moniker is all about realizing, the longer I'm around, that I'm more and more like Kane's little critter all the time. B)

:PPooshaw! I know better. ;)Stick around, Sojer! Sorry for detour; just had to say hey!

CHC Global Helicopter Pilots Unionize