Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chc Global Helicopter Pilots Unionize

:rolleyes: Well of course, just the same as when the oil company contract is not renewed CHC would not have to honor their contract to pay for the a/c......give me a break Helilog, I understand you are anti-union, but I know you know better than that.

Nope.....not anti-anything.

Just a realist...!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im not sure where i sit on the union issue but i have worked in the helicopter industry for nearly 25 years and its sad to see that most people in the business i speak to in my travels seem to be unhappy with the current state of the industry's cuts. it seems that the cuts are nearly all directed to the employees. they have cut the wages, cut the per diems, cut the allowable expenses, cut the mins, why, in some cases, even cut the maintenance. its more saddening when we see that the executives have not been cut at all. in fact in many cases their salaries and expense accounts have even increased. as a personal perspective its particularly disheartening when after asking for "just a wee bit more sir" i was informed that i am at the very top of the pay scale. well unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you ask) ive been at the top of the pay scale since the pay cuts of a couple years ago put me there. yes i did take a pay cut to keep my job. however the cost of eating, travelling to and from work, credit and all other costs of living have increased. seems to me that is a negative overall gain. the "corporation", however, has turned a profit, albeit not as huge a profit as they had in the heyday. hmmmm

it appears that the exploration companies, and the oil and gas companies, and most other corporations that use helicopters ( and i agree with a previous post that they do so because they have to) are also turning a healthy profit. hmmmm

i guess thats capitalism. the rich get richer and the poor stay poor.

i cant help thinking that some sort of association that gets all the workers together would have some kind of bargaining ability. some kind of cohesive organization that does get rid of the undercutting and slashing and giving helicopters away cant hurt. is that a union? i dont know but i look at the other side of the industry ( fixed wing ) and i see that if i had went that route and worked as hard as i did in my career that i would be way better off financially and working less. i might even have a pension coming in the next few years when i retire. what is the difference? im pretty sure they are unionized. is that the reason? i dont know, but im sure it helped. did the airlines die? nope. they still made tons of cash.

Who's whining? We only want a legal and binding contract just as CHC expects from the oil companies.

I'm afraid your FACT is fiction. The GHPA and it's upcoming CLA will be binding on ALL CHC Global pilots,regardless of citizenship/residency. The only pilots not included are those directly employed by CHC partner companies around the world such as TAS in Thailand.

I STAND corrected. Actually, I read somewhere earlier in this thread that there would be exclusions to those bound by the contract that could be worrisome to the employability of Canadians...if I am wrong, all the better.

NOW, THEREFORE, it is ordered by the Canadian Industrial Relations Board that the Global Helicopter Pilots Association be, and is hereby certified to be the bargaining agent for a unit comprising:

"all pilots employed by CHC Global Operations (2008) Inc. excluding full time managers, pilots whose primary duty is non-flying base manager and foreign national pilots employed by CHC partner companies."

I guess I don't understand the context of the "excluding...foreign national pilots" in this new agreement. That is what I was referring to. Perhaps you can expand on what this means; appreciated. Thanks.

CHC has several partner companies in the Global Operations Division. The pilots from these partner companies are nationals of the country of operation. They are not members of the GHPA. If they quit their company and are offered and accept a CHC GO position they would be eligible to be GHPA members. This does happen but not very frequently.