Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chc Global Helicopter Pilots Unionize

Guest plumber
As someone said.....they'll be broke in a year.

Even with Happy feets pom pom waving.

Max

I'm still trying to figure out which one he is the lazy or the whiny. I'm thinkin both.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada post is the best example of a glorified paper boy making $25+ an hour. No skills required, must be able to walk upright (kinda) and figure out what side of the street is odd or even.

Worked there one year (min wage job at best), people who work in a gas station need to know more than a postal worker.

25 + an hour, + benifits, + pension, + a wide variety of uniform options (now including "skorts" for women...) + + + ...

A math test is required, I think... And one needs to "enjoy working in all kinds of weather." And be "in good shape." apparently, those are two of the three things to put on a cover letter for a resume intended for Canada Post. No more. No less.

A side track from the helicopter industry... but I agree with you Plumber, a good example of what my concerns would be, both as an employer, and as an employee who enjoys working hard, and making a difference.

As unions have served their purpose in the past today they are strictly there to protect the lazy and whiny. I've been a member of several and all I ever saw was money coming of my pay cheque to help the lazy prick who I and others had to cover for on the job.

Yes, Yes, Plumber, let the markets take care of them selves too... Let the market decide.. Gee whiz what happened! Big massive global economic belly flop and millions of people without work everywhere! I guess this is the corporate plan, get fat and screw the little guy. Who cares!!

There has to be a balance, and from my understanding of some of the rotten crap that has gone on over the years at CHC and Canadian International before,that I have heard from friends first hand and many occasions, it's high time that something was done. I find it really annoying this "its always the employees fault" and management is all knowing and just. Bulllshhittt! CHC global management is militant and has a terrible track record on how it has and still does treat its crews.

I hope that through this process the senior execs blame middle management for this whole thing, fire a whole lot of them,and save face.. which we know they will if they already haven't done so because this is exactly the type of nasty weasel save my assss first crap that predominates at CHC at all levels and trickles down directly from Allards and Bairds office like a thick yellow river primordial snot!

Music to my ears.!! :)

Yes, Yes, Plumber, let the markets take care of them selves too... Let the market decide.. Gee whiz what happened! Big massive global economic belly flop and millions of people without work everywhere! I guess this is the corporate plan, get fat and screw the little guy. Who cares!!

There has to be a balance, and from my understanding of some of the rotten crap that has gone on over the years at CHC and Canadian International before,that I have heard from friends first hand and many occasions, it's high time that something was done. I find it really annoying this "its always the employees fault" and management is all knowing and just. Bulllshhittt! CHC global management is militant and has a terrible track record on how it has and still does treat its crews.

I hope that through this process the senior execs blame middle management for this whole thing, fire a whole lot of them,and save face.. which we know they will if they already haven't done so because this is exactly the type of nasty weasel save my assss first crap that predominates at CHC at all levels and trickles down directly from Allards and Bairds office like a thick yellow river primordial snot!

Music to my ears.!! :)

I'm curious to know, Mr. Feet, how implementing union standards will protect your *** from "the rotten crap" if the company employing you can not afford to meet your demands.

It's been my understanding that to create positive change in an environment, one must first engage with, and then work their way into, that particular environment. To learn it and learn it well... Then, once inside, create increasingly positive change. How can a union possibly do such a thing? It's a sincere and genuine question. Because (although I admit, I haven't seen much) I've honestly never seen it done before.

I'm curious to know, Mr. Feet, how implementing union standards will protect your *** from "the rotten crap" if the company employing you can not afford to meet your demands.

It's been my understanding that to create positive change in an environment, one must first engage with, and then work their way into, that particular environment. To learn it and learn it well... Then, once inside, create increasingly positive change. How can a union possibly do such a thing? It's a sincere and genuine question. Because (although I admit, I haven't seen much) I've honestly never seen it done before.

I think everybody is up for a positive change, not just at CHC. The problem is getting through! When the door is closed discussion is impossible. What has happened is now the door has been forced open, because there was a giant troll with is big toe wedged in the door and no one but a judge could pry it open.

Things at CHC are going to get interesting.

I think everybody is up for a positive change, not just at CHC. The problem is getting through! When the door is closed discussion is impossible. What has happened is now the door has been forced open, because there was a giant troll with is big toe wedged in the door and no one but a judge could pry it open.

Things at CHC are going to get interesting.

I can appreciate your frustrations. I suppose what I'm wondering is,

a.) is force the best option?

b.) what will the long term effects (both pros & cons) of having used force be?

c.) I know there was a "c" ....

I also think of the old saying, "you'll catch more bears with honey."

I have a hard time believing that any door is closed. Sometimes it takes great stretches of imagination, but there is always a way. But, then again, I tend to be quite naive, idealistic and driven in my ways.

My best to you Happyfeet. I sincerely hope everything turns out as you wish...

I can appreciate your frustrations. I suppose what I'm wondering is,

a.) is force the best option?

b.) what will the long term effects (both pros & cons) of having used force be?

c.) I know there was a "c" ....

I also think of the old saying, "you'll catch more bears with honey."

I have a hard time believing that any door is closed. Sometimes it takes great stretches of imagination, but there is always a way. But, then again, I tend to be quite naive, idealistic and driven in my ways.

My best to you Happyfeet. I sincerely hope everything turns out as you wish...

Hello bird,I am not sure how much you know about what is happening in this industry for the longest time.Just out of curiosity,how would you feel about a pay cut of about 35 percent ,retroactive for 10 days,anounced out of the blue in the midle of the season when you as a pilot or engineer are cornered and is practically impossible to find other work?And that pay cut will be out of wages allready not aligned with the rest of the industry.Economic recession could be used as an escuse to easyly now.Recession or not we still have to pay mortgages and feed our kids.Yes,you are a bit naive and idealistic but we all are in this industry and is about time this comes to an end.Or, how would you feel when after 20 years working for the same company,you get your IFR tichet just to get fired asap because the company you are working for only does VFR and they do not like the ideea?And plumber,why has a garbage picker in Toronto more pride in the job that he does than a highly trained proffesional that has lives and milions of dollars to take in to consideration everyday?If union will put some companies under ,so be it.If you wanna be a helicopter opperator then pay your people fair and right and obey all labour codes and laws.What other job will make somebody work 14 hours day with no overtime pay for 42 days?Away from your wife and kids and in some cases for wages that compare to what a burger king guy makes for less hours?We all love what we do and this is the way they black mail us in to paying for managerial mistakes or pure unadulterated greed.All the people that I know in this industry will not steal a rusted nail from anybody and are hard working professionals.If they were part of association or union I just dont see them becomming lazy or desinterested in what they do all of a sudden.And if this stuff is been done in the past ,is time that we realise is the 21st century.I agree,nothing should be done by force and I do not believe an association of pilots and engineers would wanna do annything by force but having a bit of back bone as a profession is overdue.A lot of injustice is done in this industry and just bringing the idea of a union in to play or discussion can get a pilot or engineer marginalised by the employer and management.And this is a reality lets not lie to ourselves.

Well

I don't thing the fellas at CHC had a choice. The honey has been tried, tasted,and spat out on numerous occasions. I am sure no doubt that there where some who wanted to swallow the sweet nectar but under concerns of self preservation, chose to shove a few fingers down the throat and induce vomiting to save face.

In a ideal world honey would work great I agree, but even in the VFR world honey doesn't always work. I wish it did cause I would start a keeping bees. My own personal frustrations aside, and I have had many doors slammed in my face even before getting to the front porch and the opportunity to state the case. :rolleyes:

The hard reality is that the truth is easier to ignore sometimes, than to face head on. People as a general rule in a group follow the herd. It is only on rare occasions in such a small industry or any small group in society that people have the guts to walk against the current and affect change. Most just find an easy excuse and turn their head for fear of group reprisal or loss of security. I call these people "the go alongs" and although there lives are peaceful and rather uneventfull in the long term, and in the final equation they are forgotten and disappear without a trace.

Through out history there have been many who have forced the door open on many levels, and have effected the long term well being of others.

HF

""Hello bird,I am not sure how much you know about what is happening in this industry for the longest time.Just out of curiosity,how would you feel about a pay cut of about 35 percent ,retroactive for 10 days,anounced out of the blue in the midle of the season when you as a pilot or engineer are cornered and is practically impossible to find other work?And that pay cut will be out of wages allready not aligned with the rest of the industry.Economic recession could be used as an escuse to easyly now.Recession or not we still have to pay mortgages and feed our kids.Yes,you are a bit naive and idealistic but we all are in this industry and is about time this comes to an end.Or, how would you feel when after 20 years working for the same company,you get your IFR tichet just to get fired asap because the company you are working for only does VFR and they do not like the ideea?And plumber,why has a garbage picker in Toronto more pride in the job that he does than a highly trained proffesional that has lives and milions of dollars to take in to consideration everyday?If union will put some companies under ,so be it.If you wanna be a helicopter opperator then pay your people fair and right and obey all labour codes and laws.What other job will make somebody work 14 hours day with no overtime pay for 42 days?Away from your wife and kids and in some cases for wages that compare to what a burger king guy makes for less hours?We all love what we do and this is the way they black mail us in to paying for managerial mistakes or pure unadulterated greed.All the people that I know in this industry will not steal a rusted nail from anybody and are hard working professionals.If they were part of association or union I just dont see them becomming lazy or desinterested in what they do all of a sudden.And if this stuff is been done in the past ,is time that we realise is the 21st century.I agree,nothing should be done by force and I do not believe an association of pilots and engineers would wanna do annything by force but having a bit of back bone as a profession is overdue.A lot of injustice is done in this industry and just bringing the idea of a union in to play or discussion can get a pilot or engineer marginalised by the employer and management.And this is a reality lets not lie to ourselves.""

Alpha can't say I disagree.

Wow! That hits home!

Thanks, I guess I am not crazy after all.

HF

Well

I don't thing the fellas at CHC had a choice. The honey has been tried, tasted,and spat out on numerous occasions. I am sure no doubt that there where some who wanted to swallow the sweet nectar but under concerns of self preservation, chose to shove a few fingers down the throat and induce vomiting to save face.

I couldn't agree with you more on this one Happyfeet! I have personally seen the olive branch not only swatted form the employees hands, but also lit on fire by the company! I do agree that force is the LAST option, rather, I am an optimist and hope the company will deal the GHPA in good faith and we can move into the future as professionals, dealing with professionals. :)

And one more thing...How many times have all of us heared the management bragging about the enourmous number of resumes that they have on hand now...blah blah blah...from people wayyy more qualified than YOU and many of your coworkers?This in a veiled or less veiled effort to remind you that YOU are easily replacebale anf therefore you shoud take that pay cut or that extra tour for no extra money and feel privileged .Humility should be your primordial quality in todays market....BULL SHITT!How many qualified wanna be RCMP officers are waiting theyr turn to get the job?Many more than actually got the job and yet the sallary of a RC does not go down due to plenty of interested people!Same with carpenters and welders and ambulance drivers and garbage pickers!I think that this is the way we should be looking at things .We,as trained ,skilled professionals shold not need to kiss *** and bow our heads to keep a job that 0,0001 of the population can do.A pilot or an engineer should be able to pay his/her student loans the same way a nurse does or a truck driver or a paramedic..etc and not have to go on the verge of banckruptcy or drink watter out of the puddles and eat roots for 4-5 years because "he/she must pay theyr dues".A union could put all this in the light of day and keep companies in line and realizing that PILOTS AND ENGINEERS keep making them money not the machines seating prety.What is sad is that many management and owners been there done that yet forget to soon.Human nature I guess but not excusable by definition only.Many of the smaller and medium size companies have been built by the long hours and low pay of pilots and engineers working away from home ,sleeping in bug and rodent infested crew houses or in canvas tents in the midle of a swamp.All their efforts are immediately forgoten when less money comes in to play for the companies.It is time to do something