Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot Engineer

soooo, this sounds like the exact debate i was having with myself a few months ago. glad someone else asked it first ;)

i was wondering a few things though. they show pictures of astars and other aircraft in the hangers at the northern lights college, (this may be dumb) do they fly them aswell? or are these machines there specifically to be disasembled and reassembled? say if we were doing blade tracking, (or any number of things that i dont even know about) would we be alowed to start up the machine and log some of the run time? hmm, that might not make sense... whatever, you know what im asking right?

ive heard people coin the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" , i just dont think i believe that, i personally dont see how learning more about the machine itself and spending more time and schooling with the aircraft will at all takeaway from your ability to fly it (unless you are giving up your flight time because you've already logged 9hrs wrenching...). i almost wish that there was a greater mechanical portion to the flight training that we got. if i had the finances in place i think i would take the course just for the personal knowledge.

And as for the military option, ouch, tell me thats not the best way to go flying?! shining your boots, saluting sergeants, shooting at people you dont know, being shot at by people you dont know... what a life. I cant speak for everyone, but i think if you join the military, its because you want to be in the military. And they will decide how you will be used in the military. that being said, i did fill out an application for pilot position with the CAF. but then i finished reading Chickenhawk, and figured i'll tough it out in the civi world :P

As far as bushwork goes, am i the only one that gets off on that kind of stuff (ok ok, i may be a little young at it, speaking too soon. will revisit this statement in 20yrs)? ive been working my first city job in 4yrs(?) for about 2 months now, and already im going nuts! send me out to the bush! take me away from the public! put me back in a camp! god dammit dont let me talk to the general puplic anymore! one more nattering old lady tells me not to get dust on her car (like come on people! we're renovating your house! there will be some cutting! the dust will fly! i will clean it! just GTFO of here and let me work!) and im going to loose it! haha, oh city life, not for I.

Before you consider a career in helicopters you might think about brushing up on your punctuations and writing skills. You're not Sling in disguise are you??

Guest plumber
Before you consider a career in helicopters you might think about brushing up on your punctuations and writing skills. You're not Sling in disguise are you??

This guy writes like Shakespear compared to Sling!

Guest plumber
especially THIS internet forum. he he, jokes guys, calm down

Most if not all of my posts are humour based or just to get a rise out of someone but it is tense around here lately.

Not really fun anymore!

Times are Shyte right now a laugh or two won't kill us even if it is at our own expence.

Hey Jet B if that buddy who is working towards law school worked for mustang he is a h3ll of a nice guy.

They let me use there heaters at the GP hanger to get my car started after a week of -40

Who would of thought that an airport in N.Alberta wouldn't have plug ins for block heaters.

To everyone under 30 years of age who is thinking of getting into flying, do yourself a favour, Get another skill under your belt other than a sandwich artist it will pay off eventually.

Yeah, sounds like the same guy.