Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Accident Investigation (rotary Or Fixed Wing Aircraft)

50 years in the business and I have never been involved directly or indirectly in an accident investigation, thankfully. However I have always been curious as to what actually takes place.

Is the anyone here who has been directly involved in an actual investigation as part of the investigating team.

What I am interested in is this.

1) Is there a team on 'standby' or readily available for callout?

2) What is the normal response time to an accident and who informs you?

3) How many teams do we have across Canada and where are they based?

4) What is the first thing you look for on arrival on site?

5) Do you have an established protocol that you follow on arrival at the site?

6) Who arranges for body and wreck removal and where does the wreck end up?

7) What happens to your preliminary findings and where are they sent.

Thank-You in advance and I will have more questions as they come to me.

Regards

Splitpin

Wannabes and speculators need not post as I am only interested in information from actively involved professionals.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TSB Contact:

Senior Crash Investigator

Bill Yearwood

direct line: 604-666-4972

Bill.Yearwood@tsb.gc.ca

3071 Number 5 Road

Richmond, B.C.

(please don't hit me.).

I plainly stated..."Wannabes and speculators need not post as I am only interested in information from actively involved professionals."

Hey Splitty........As "I" was the focus of a couple, and also working in management for years ,I am all to intimate with protocal.

Every operator has a section in the Company Operations Manual dealing with any accidents and or serious incidents.

Each has a list of people to contact both company, insurance, and Accident investigators (ie: TSB and RCMP), and a lot of do's and dont's. Good reading if you can access one.

Each aircraft carries a copy.......it actually is a point you brought up....... a lot of engineers have not read one!

And you bet.......Bill is "the" man to talk to. He has a level of experience that is hard to match, and very open to dialoge.

Cheers, H56

But Mr. Yearwood is an actively involved professional who specializes in dealing with the very questions you're asking.

I also asked a professional to reply on this site. I am civilized enough to not bother a busy man like Bill with questions that I feel that the answers could benefit the professionals on this forum. If I just repeated what he said to me via private Mail that would be hearsay.

Now, let it go HB!!

I also asked a professional to reply on this site. I am civilized enough to not bother a busy man like Bill with questions that I feel that the answers could benefit the professionals on this forum. If I just repeated what he said to me via private Mail that would be hearsay.

Now, let it go HB!!

I know you asked for a professional to reply. But the thing is, you're right, Bill is a (VERY) busy man. And therefore has no time to be on this site. And yet he is THE man to talk to about anything regarding crashes. And since he is a very good friend of mine, I can see this gap in the industry, and I have that information, why is it improper of me to post ?

And why is it uncivilized to ask him questions? I can honestly say he'd rather be bothered by your questions and have you spread them word for word (re: hearsay) than not. Because (bottom line) he'd rather see less fatalities. Because death isn't civil.

Sir, I know don't have a license, or hours (yet). And I do understand there is a certain way to go about things in this industry. Start young, go to school, beat your way through a hangar with a broom for a few (possibly several) years, take all the lashings and mud, bad weather, questionable food, bugs, time away from family as you can... Join the Army, or Navy. Watch friends die. Try not to die... And do the best possible job you can, make it home alive, and provide for your family. Then, and only then, once you have over 10,000h, you can post on the forum with anything worth while to contribute. The art industry is very often equally Elitist. People excluding people to protect what they love. I get it.

I'm doing it backwards. I contacted Bill first. I went to the TSB hangar first. And I asked the questions, you're asking 50 years later, first. I'm not dumb. I'm very fond of your industry. And if I can contribute in a positive way to it along the way in my research, I will.

Bill's my first teacher. Connecting the gap between what he teaches me and what I learn here seems important. No disrespect meant, to you or anyone else here, Sir. Ever.

That's all I have to say. Because I don't want you to blow a heart gasket. And I don't want to P-off the Queen of the Hive any more than I already have.

And I don't want to P-off the Queen of the Hive any more than I already have.

P-off the Queen of the Hive ?(which she is) You've already P-ssed me off big time!! Just for once H.B. keep your nose out of things you are even remotly qualified to comment on or you will turn this thread into a train wreck like you have to several others. Your last reply was a lot of sensless ramblings that had nothing to do with my origonal post. Jeeez woman, smarten up!!

Why are you so fixated on "Bill"?? there are other people in this world that are accident investigaters, and just as qualified to answer my questions.

Once again for the second time!!! Just for you H.B.!!

"Is the anyone here who has been directly involved in an actual investigation as part of the investigating team."

"Wannabes and speculators need not post as I am only interested in information from actively involved professionals."

Anymore of your BS. and I'll ask the mods to lock or delete this thread